SF- Rodney Williams
PF- Ralph Sampson III
C- Colton Iverson

PG- Al Nolen
SG- Blake Hoffarber
SF- Rodney Williams
PF- Ralph Sampson III
C- Colton Iverson

Surprised Al is in the lineup and Trevor is not. I figured Al would have to earn it back and Trevor would be given the slot based on practice performance.

Not sure what to take away from this being so long until the season begins but it is good to see Rodney starting.

When the Gophers went to Europe back in 1999 it was Dan Monson's first time coaching the team. It was late August his first stating line-up was: Kevin Burleson, Ryan Keating, JB Bickerstaff, Dusty Rychart, and John Aune.

Off the bench was Joel Pryzbilla, Mitch Ohnstad, Terrance Simmons, Nick Sinville, and Kevin Nathaniel. How did he get those starters? Free throw contest.

These games are good experience but I wouldn't put a ton of stock into who is the starters in late August/Early September. That's just my thought anyway. I think when it comes time for the games to count, Trevor will be right where you want him as will Devoe.

Surprised Al is in the lineup and Trevor is not. I figured Al would have to earn it back and Trevor would be given the slot based on practice performance.

http://twitter.com/tomcrean-
The greatest mistake a player can make is to think they can't get beat out. Indiana Basketball was built on competition. It still is!

I'm not going to be to caught up about starters until we are in December and approaching Big Ten conference play. Competition is a good thing.

Devoe - Rodney
Ralph - Trevor

Devoe must be dinged up a bit still or he would be the starting PG. Devoe will play a lot of minutes when he is 100%. Trevor will earn his starting spot soon enough, but I think it's a confidence thing for the younger two guys. Mbakwe already has that chip on his shoulder. Those three will get plenty of minutes.

http://twitter.com/tomcrean-
The greatest mistake a player can make is to think they can't get beat out. Indiana Basketball was built on competition. It still is!

This Crean twitter is better: http://twitter.com/coachtomcrean

"My guy Lazar Hayward, first round draft pick. He really blossomed his Fr and So years under me, Coach Tom Crean. 7:09 PM Jun 25th via web "
"Now I have to update the IU media guide, cuz I got 1 more player into the NBA. 7:10 PM Jun 25th via web "
"my guy wesley matthews is the highest paid 2nd year player int he nba. I developed him. He owes me a steak dinner! 5:54 PM Jul 21st via web "
"DWade sporting IU shorts again. This guy knows where his bread is buttered baby! It's Indiana. 5:01 PM Jul 22nd via web "

I really hope Devoe is able to get healthy for the season.

Does anyone know if these games will be on TV or online? Thanks

Does anyone know if these games will be on TV or online? Thanks

Check Channelsurfing.net or Justintv, though I think Justintv feeds to Channelsurfing.net or something like that, anyway, the first Kentucky game was televised through Channelsurfing.net, I really, really, really, hope ours will be as well.

Back-ups?

PG Maverick Ahanmisi
SG Devoe Joseph
SF Austin Hollins
PF Trevor Mbakwe
C Maurice Walker

That's if Tubby does the fresh 5, which I don't know think we will see as often. Even if Deove isn't starting he could see more minutes then the starters do to his versatility.

I thought u were the one always saying Mav was gonna play SG and not point?

South Dakota State was just up in Winnipeg playing the University of Winnipeg and the U of Manitoba. Won all three games by 40 or more. Winnipeg and Manitoba play in the same conference as UBC et al (but are the worst teams). I would be worried if the games are at all close.

That's if Tubby does the fresh 5, which I don't know think we will see as often. Even if Deove isn't starting he could see more minutes then the starters do to his versatility.

I thought u were the one always saying Mav was gonna play SG and not point?

No. What I said consistently was that he is natural SG who must convert to PG in college.

Could be a long season in Ann Arbor.

I'm sure someone knows but have we beat Michigan yet under Tubby?

A little payback in is order. :D

Yes - we beat Michigan both times during his first season.

0-4 against since then. Quite inexplicable, really.

Yeah, he got his 400th victory @ Michigan his first year here and again later that year at home. But as dpdoll noted, haven't beaten them since. Manny and Deshawn Sims probably the main reasons, but still...baffling how they've gotten the best of us like that the last two years.

One of the games is supposed to streamed online, so check out GopherSports.com

Chris Monter

No. What I said consistently was that he is natural SG who must convert to PG in college.

Why would he have to convert to his primary position?

Back-ups?

PG Maverick Ahanmisi
SG Devoe Joseph

I'd guess Al Nolen will see 25-30 minutes PT at PG with Devoe Joseph getting 10-15 minutes as his back-up PG.

He's actually NOT even a PG. His primary role in HS was SG. He is a "combo" guard (plays 1 and 2) just like Justin Cobbs was/is.

The Gopher PG are Al Nolen and Devoe Joseph plus Bryant Allen (after football season).

Primarily point guard, including high school and AAU until after senior year at Golden Valley. Then played more off guard in AAU and the position of watch-Enes-do-his-thing for a few games at Stoneridge.

Also, he was at Golden Valley for 4 years. Didn't play varsity freshman year, though.

In the words of Bob Gottlieb a couple of months ago, "“Maverick in high school, for Golden Valley, played point exclusively. The preceding summer for me, he played point.

My favorite part:

I'm a shooter, I'm a shooting PG. I hope to hit some 3's this year.

Ahanmisi has some basketball skills. It remains to be seen if he can be PG or not.

Consistently?

Well we know this line-up wasn't determined by a free throw contest because Rodney is in it. My guess is the starting 5 for this season will be Nolen, Devoe, Blake, Trevor, Ralph. That is, unless Rodney starts to get the Ralph treatment and gets to start no matter what. My preferred starters would be Nolen, Devoe, Blake, Trevor, and Colton.

Why would he have to convert to his primary position?

Consistently?

Yep. He played p-r-i-m-a-r-i-l-y SG in HS and Prep school. It's his natural position.

In college, he'll need to convert to PG. There aren't many successful 6-1 SG in Div I hoops.

In Canada, with Devoe nursing an injury, he'll be back-up PG on the trip.

I looked at both Gophersports.com and Big Ten and I don't see any streaming video.

Yep. He played p-r-i-m-a-r-i-l-y SG in HS and Prep school. It's his natural position.

In college, he'll need to convert to PG. There aren't many successful 6-1 SG in Div I hoops.

In Canada, with Devoe nursing an injury, he'll be back-up PG on the trip.

http://www.branchwest.com/

... Maverick Ahanmisi, outstanding shooting guard from Golden Valley H.S. two years ago, visited the prestigious Big 10 school Minnesota, last Wednesday and was offered a full basketball scholarship by Head Coach Tubby Smith ...

... When Tubby called, he told me that he loved what he saw on the films. However, he wanted to know, what was he really like as a young man? What was his family background? What else could he do besides shoot? Tell me about his ball handling. Could he play the point guard as well as the shooting guard. Tell about his speed, his size, his mental and physical toughness ...

agree 100%

Well we know this line-up wasn't determined by a free throw contest because Rodney is in it. My guess is the starting 5 for this season will be Nolen, Devoe, Blake, Trevor, Ralph. That is, unless Rodney starts to get the Ralph treatment and gets to start no matter what. My preferred starters would be Nolen, Devoe, Blake, Trevor, and Colton.

I totally agree with you that Colt should start and has had the shortest leash on the team. When he badly outplayed Ralph, Ralph still started and got similar minutes. Ralph would be better off the bench as he has the quickness on defense to play the 4 or 5 anyway, Colt is strictly a 5.

Ahanmisi > Sr Year In HS

Dec. 2
The boys basketball team defeats Dos Pueblos 70-62 in overtime in the season opener at the Simi Valley Tournament. Senior guard Maverick Ahanmisi scores 24 points to lead the Grizzlies, while junior swingman Trevor Wiseman has 17 points, seven rebounds and five assists.

Dec. 6
The boys basketball team wins the Simi Valley Tournament by beating host Simi Valley 89-83 in overtime. Senior guard Maverick Ahanmisi scores 13 points in the final game and is named the tournament's Most Valuable Player. Senior guard Steven Thornton scores 23 points to lead Golden Valley while junior forward Erick Serrano finishes with 16.

Dec. 22
The boys basketball team suffers its first loss of the season, a 63-60 decision to Hart in the semifinals of the San Fernando Valley Invitational.

Dec. 23
The boys basketball team beats league rival Canyon 70-65 to clinch third in the San Fernando Valley Invitational behind 22 points and 10 rebounds from senior guard Steven Thornton.

Dec. 30
The boys basketball team avenges its only loss by defeating Hart 95-89 in the championship game of the Hart Holiday Classic. Golden Valley jumps all over Hart in the first quarter and holds the Indians off the rest of the way, led by senior guard Maverick Ahanmisi's 25 points and senior guard Chris White's 13 points, most of which came during the second quarter when everyone else was cold.

Jan. 13
The boys basketball team wins its first Foothill League game in almost two years by upending Hart 63-55 in the league opener. The Grizzlies shoot an ice-cold 16 percent in the first half but rally late in the third and take the lead for good. Senior guard Maverick Ahanmisi has 16 points and junior swingman Trevor Wiseman has 14.

Jan. 23
Labeled as an athletic team that doesn't pay much attention to defense, the boys basketball team holds Valencia to just 25 points on 38 percent shooting in the second half of a 69-67 win at Valencia High School. Senior guard Steven Thornton scores 28 points to lead all Grizzlies.

Jan. 24
The boys basketball team loses to Etiwanda 75-51 in the prestigious SoCal Shootout. The nation's 12th-ranked Eagles pull away in the fourth quarter, but Steven Thornton has a team-high 25 points, including 15 in the first half.

Jan. 30
Hart ends the boys basketball team's perfect Foothill League season with a 67-63 win. Senior guard Maverick Ahanmisi has 20 points to lead the Grizzlies, who falter late in the fourth quarter.

Feb. 6
Junior swingman Trevor Wiseman pulls down a team-record 18 rebounds and senior guard Maverick Ahanmisi scores 31 points as the boys basketball team beats Saugus 85-76.

Feb. 10
The boys basketball team defeats Valencia 69-56 to clinch at least a share of the school's first Foothill League title in any sport. The Grizzlies go on a 16-0 run to start the fourth quarter, and senior guard Maverick Ahanmisi pours in 29 points on 55 percent shooting from downtown. Five seniors who normally come off the bench start the game on Senior Night.

Feb. 12
The boys basketball team blazes past West Ranch 84-66 with a big second half to claim the school's first outright Foothill League title in
any sport. Junior swingman Trevor Wiseman scores 31 points on 71 percent shooting, while the senior backcourt of Maverick Ahanmisi and Steven Thornton combines for 39 points.

Feb. 24
After two blowout wins in the CIF-Southern Section Division IIIA playoffs, the boys basketball team gets 41 points from senior guard Maverick Ahanmisi and holds off Foothill 75-72 in the CIF-SS Div. IIIA quarterfinals. Senior guard Steven Thornton hits two clutch buckets in the final minute to help win the game.

Feb. 27
The boys basketball team bows out in a 96-87 loss to Gahr in the CIF-Southern Section Division IIIA semifinals, one win short of a guaranteed berth in the state tournament. Senior guard Steven Thornton takes over and scores 41 points, but Gahr proves to be too athletic to overcome. Junior swingman Trevor Wiseman helps key a second-quarter run that gives the Grizzlies a three-point lead, but Wiseman then picks up his third personal foul and Gahr takes off. The team finishes 27-4 overall.

Ahanmisi > Sr Year in HS

FOT - That's helpful info to have. Maybe it will influence others' paradigms of Mav as we watch his development? It has changed my expectations already.

Top Bottom