Reusse At His Finest!

"Brewster spent the fall getting credit for turning around an 1-11 team, when in truth he was the guy who took over a roster with the potential of six, seven victories and turned it into the losingest outfit in Minnesota's football history."

This is just blatantly false.

I don't agree with a lot of the rest, but Brewster's certainly doesn't deserve to be defended, so I won't bother.

I don't get it, what did he say that was wrong? Sometimes we at the hole need a reality check. I'm not in favor of giving Brew an extension yet either.

The basic point on whether or not he deserves an extension needs to be separated from some of Reusse's histrionics. Brewster did not inherit a possible seven win team. Not even close. Mason's decision to not groom a suitable replacement for Cupito (just like he never groomed anyone to replace anyone at any position other than RB) left the 2007 team in dire straits at a number of positions. That was a four- or five-win team even with the ghost of Vince Lombardi at the helm.

Pat's utter disdain for Brewster is poisoning his coverage. He needs to take a deep breath.

Well said, Head. I'd like to make three points. Pat, if you're lurking, listen up:

1. Brewster is a recruiting machine. The talent he's been able to bring in under far-from-ideal circumstances is remarkable.

2. The Gophers beat teams this year that had a decided talent advantage over them. Can Tim coach? An objective evaluation is 'yes'.

3. The team is doing well in the classroom by all accounts - and with some academic question mark guys, no less. The press was quick to speculate that this would be a poorly-performing academic situation, but they haven't bothered to write when things turn out OK.

Does all this warrant an extension? To be honest, I'm not sure. But I'm not going to jump all over the AD for extending him considering all of the above.

I'm as big a gopher fan as any, (39 and season tickets for 21 yrs). But who had a decided talent advantage record over us? Our Big Ten wins were over a combined 6-18 Illinois, Purdue and Indiana. What happened against Michigan? Did we even show up for Iowa?

Remember we are the ones paying off Monson and Masons buyouts.

I'm sorry I think we can wait a year to extend, if he leaves them hopefully we find someone better. The job is certainly better than when Mason took it over 11 years ago.

Actually, the only place the Fulda Flash is at his finest is..............

the buffet line!

Why do people keep posting about him? Can't we just have a boycott against all things Reusse or something?

That was not Reusse's finest.

I saw no mention of some town with a population of around 40 and their town baseball team.

I consider Illinois (definitely) and Purdue (probably) to be more talented. Just my appraisal; I'm not a professional scout or anything, though.

Agreed

I consider Illinois (definitely) and Purdue (probably) to be more talented. Just my appraisal; I'm not a professional scout or anything, though.

Those two teams off the W column. Michigan's situation matches ours from last year. This year they beat us on talent alone - inspite of the coaching change there.

What I don't understand is how people keep missing the boat on the fact that if Mason had stayed last years team probably would have just missed or just a bowl game. Same thing every year, and last year and any others would have been the same. The JC talent that came in this year somewhat mirrored what Mason would have brought in, but went to other schools in stead.

Personally I think at different points of the season Brewster was getting more out of this team than Mason did with similar talent.

I thought Ruesse's column was spot on. Matrui said one of the biggest reasons he gave him an extension was because of the # of player's on the academic team. Fact is all but 3 were Mason recruits. I am still withholding judgement until after this upcoming season. If we aren't at 8 or 9 wins and playing on January 1st I think this extension was a mistake. We will see how well Brewster is able to coach against a much better NC schedule and more difficult BT schedule.

I like what Brewster is doing. I think he needs time to do it but I am also not ready to give him an extension at this point. If we can go 7 and 5 or 8 and 4 next year I think that would be a massive improvement. Then talk extension. Back to the topic at hand. Why is it that there are more pieces on KU in the Red StarTrib than about Minnesota? I was talking to a former gopher football player that grew up in Miami today. He commented on how the media got behind their teams even when they had average teams. He went on to say that here it seemed that the press was out to get the teams.

Same old same old; comes off as Deck The Halls lunacy (if you have happened to be unfortunate enough to watch that movie). One would think that by now - after what, 25+ years - even the casual Minnesotan would realize that these columns are written because PR hates everything related to the University of Minnesota. The problem is, there are still too many Minnesotans that believe what PR has to say (mostly, the ones that aren't Gopher fans), and don't understand that PR's anti-UofM columns are based off of personal vendetta (for whatever reason).

If every newspaper's sports section had a Patrick Reusse-like columnist, very few people in the world would like their local college sports team. He's an awful, hate-filled person, and little more. I really thought that after the past 20 or so anti-Brewster columns that this one would fly past the board without a thread about it, but it wasn't to be true... It must be another slow week for PR - the Vikings won and the TWolves broke their losing streak - so with little bad to say about them this week he fell back to his favorite - finding any U of M-related sporting story and making sure to say as much negative as possible. What are you gonna do? For whatever reason, he is employed by the state's largest-circulation newspaper, and apparently he can get away with anything. Until significant numbers of people cancel their subscriptions with the reason being "Patrick Reusse," they'll continue to employ him and the U athletic department will continue to be the subject of infantile attacks by the StarTrib and their columnist's radio shows.

Reusse has mentioned the contract extension that Maturi gave Pam Borton during their European trip late last summer and how he found that ridiculous on Maturi's part. That could have influenced this column a little bit.

If Maturi was to extend Brewster now, it would be a bad move. More time is needed to properly evaluate his performance.

But Reusse does seem to have something against Brewster. He does not want to give him any credit for the good things he has done so far. Certainly, he is entitled to rip Brewster as much as he does, but his opinions are becoming irrelevant because most people can see that he is one-sided when it comes to Brewster.

I would rather he be anti-Gopher on the radio than in print.

On the radio, we can call-in and dispute his logic with facts. The newspaper "column" (or editorial) is an annoying thing that allows a writer to selctively include or ignore facts and people reading at kitchen tables across the state read along and mindlessly nod their heads.

When he rips the Gopher Basketball schedule, call-in and remind him that they have a high RPI. When he makes fun of Gopher football playing Sunbelt teams, call-in and remind him that it was the SEC that essentailly created the Sunbelt conference in football (so they could have their teams ranked higher in the polls).

Talk radio rarely hides from a well-presented alternative viewpoint like the Strib does. It thrives on discussion.

I personally think giving Brewster an extension is a mistake.

Even if last season's team should have been a 4 or 5 win team, he underachieved in winning one game. Now he's being celebrated for turning things around. To me he needs to do more to deserve an extension.

Right now, he is a kid who trashed his room and made a mess and then gets rewarded for cleaning it up.

Plus, Maturi seems to be forgetting the last month of the season.

Brewster was hired to recruit. That is what he did last year. That is what he is doing this year. Mason himself has said that recruiting is 80% of success in college football. Brewster is doing what he was hired to do. And he has already proved that he is a better game day coach than Mason (Big 10 Record of 32 - 56). Brewster deserves the extension.

I have mixed feelings regarding the extension, but Brewster is also building solid rapport with high school football coaches throughout the state. He has tackled his job with vigor, which would merit consideration of an extension, but that hasn't showed up completely on the field yet, which makes talk of an extension premature.

Maturi knows what he wants and he's the guy in the big chair.

Top Bottom