NCAA says Oto Osenieks can be on scholarship, practice but not compete

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
GopherHole has learned that the NCAA ruled yesterday that Oto Osenieks can be on scholarship this season, can practice with the team but cannot compete and thus, would essentially have a forced redshirt season.

That's unfortunate, I thought would be a nice back-up ready to play some SF this season... Hopefully he makes the best out of it; practices hard, hit's the weights and he'll be that much more ready to contribute next year.

I heard he was on campus, can anyone confirm?

It'd be interesting to know what the issue was that only made Oto a partial qualifier. It almost sounds like a compromise, can practice but not play for a year.

Is this an unusual ruling? Can someone help me understand why the NCAA would make a ruling like this? It would seem that he is either eligible by the guidelines or he is not. This ruling seems very strange to me. Has Oto confirmed that he will join the Gophers under these limitations and does Tubby have the option to accept or deny Oto with these restrictions? This ruling still leaves things somewhat unclear.

Is this an unusual ruling? Can someone help me understand why the NCAA would make a ruling like this? It would seem that he is either eligible by the guidelines or he is not. This ruling seems very strange to me. Has Oto confirmed that he will join the Gophers under these limitations and does Tubby have the option to accept or deny Oto with these restrictions? This ruling still leaves things somewhat unclear.

I think (not sure) it will be a mutual decision by Oto and the Gophers.

Minnesota already has one RS forward (Halvorsen as walk-on transfer) and may have RS center (Eliason) too.

Is this "no compete" a done-deal for this year, or a continuing investigation that he might be able to compete at a later time after all is cleared?

It'd be interesting to know what the issue was that only made Oto a partial qualifier. It almost sounds like a compromise, can practice but not play for a year.

Strikes me as a situation where the clearinghouse knows he will be eligible but also knows it does not have enough data to clear him now (i.e. we know what the conclusion is, but we have to dot the i's and cross the t's). Thus, the Gophers have a player they recruited to provide immediate help at a position with no depth who can't play (the whole year?). What next? This is a mess, but if he develops, it might look like a brilliant move three years down the road.

With Mbwake being eligible it isn't as bad as it would have been. Who knows he might be cleared to play at some point in the season.

is it too much to ask for us to go into a season with no drama...geez

For a kid entering a D1 school now, I don't think there is technically still something called a 'partial qualifier'. You're either a qualifier or a non-qualifier. If you're a non-qualifier, an institution may request a waiver, which might be partially (can practice and/or receive an athletic scholarship, but not compete) or fully granted (eligible to compete). In Oto's case, it sounds like the Clearinghouse has been agreeable with the idea of a partial waiver for some time, but we've been looking for more... however, the prospects of him being eligible to compete in 2010-11 sound horrible after this latest response. The question is 'what would the U and Oto like to do now'?

It gets down the specifics of each case, but in some cases, the Clearinghouse can't accept some of previous courses a student-athlete has completed and thus they do not meet the initial eligibility requirements. But... the kid's grades may be at the top of his class... also see waivers granted where there are learning disabilities... and for other reasons.

It's not overly burdensome on the student-athlete, but a point worth making - with non-qualifiers, if they are good to go the following year, they only have three years of eligibility remaining (and in that regard, it's different than just 'taking a redshirt'). However, they can earn back a fourth year if they have completed 80% or more of their work towards their degree (which, after 4 years in school, you would hope is doable).

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if Jacob Thomas goes to LBSU this year as a non-qualifier (but won't play until 2011-12) and gets things right.

You'll hear a lot of people still say 'partial qualifier'... and in essence, that's what some kids are, even though the technical term is gone for kids entering D1 now... I can think of one pretty good one last year.. DeAndre Kane... was a Duquesne commit, then later he was headed for Seton Hall (btw - there were some developments in Gonzo's man-purse theft case yesterday.. looks like he'll get off in good shape.. easy plea, or PTI), but wound up at Marshall and had to sit last year. Marquette was in the mix a little with him... and actually had a pretty nice partial qualifier several years ago... young man by the name of Dwyane.

Oto's status on Facebook: "NCAA just cleared me! I am going to Minnesota on monday! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You God!!!!!!!!!"

Yes but >>> is more appropriate.

How in the world do you know? Just because Tubby recruited him right? I doubt you even know who Nrumbi (sp?) is since you were clueless about Minnesota basketball until your boy took the job here.

A tweet from Marcus:

"I was told Osenieks is a partial qualifier and will practice but not be able to play this year. GopherHole.com also heard same news Friday."

Go Gophers!!

How in the world do you know? Just because Tubby recruited him right? I doubt you even know who Nrumbi (sp?) is since you were clueless about Minnesota basketball until your boy took the job here.

I've followed Big 10 basketball closely since 1969 when I first attended Purdue.

The ex-Gopher you named was a huge disappointment. Osenieks is a very promising recruit.

Will someone please get the official word on Oto's status?!

It probably is the official status and he's just excited to be joining the team, going to school on scholarship and will be ready to play next season.

Oto's status on Facebook: "NCAA just cleared me! I am going to Minnesota on monday! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You God!!!!!!!!!"

But from his wording and excitement it does seem like he would be playing basketball this season as well.

Why would he say "cleared" if he hasn't been cleared to play? Doesn't make sense. The NCAA did recently deny eligibility and then clear Will Barton so maybe they changed their mind again.

It has happened several times here at Nebraska. One or two decided not to come to school and another sat out the year.

Art Vandalay wrote:

"...until your boy took the job here..."

Art either doesn't know that's a degrading comment, or doesn't care. Which makes him either stupid or racist. Or both.

It sounds pretty clear this is the final verdict from NCAA. Oto will be a Gopher (based on his Facebook response), but he won't see the court for any games in 2010-11.

It sounds pretty clear this is the final verdict from NCAA. Oto will be a Gopher (based on his Facebook response), but he won't see the court for any games in 2010-11.

As long as they play his youtube video (Meet Me Halfway) before every home game, I will be happy.

I just don't comprehend how this works. What's the point in allowing him on scholarship and to practice, but not play in any games? Isn't Tubby usually very cold towards the idea of a redshirt?

I just don't comprehend how this works. What's the point in allowing him on scholarship and to practice, but not play in any games? Isn't Tubby usually very cold towards the idea of a redshirt?

Marquis Estill redshirted in 1999-2000 at UK due to Prop 48 academics - required by NCAA.

Jules Camara redshirted in 2000-01 at UK due to violation of UK AD policy - required by AD.

Patrick Sparks redshirted in 2003-04 at UK due to transfer - required by NCAA.

Tubby rarely has "voluntary" redshirts. Chris Halvorsen is a transfer redshirt - required by NCAA. Elliott Eliason may be voluntary redshirt - not decided yet. Oto Osenieks would be NCAA required redshirt.

Top Bottom