Chris Monter: Coral Gables' Jonathan Holton Has Caught Tubby Smith's Attention

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, Purdue doesn't have any schollies available right now unless they think an underclassman is going to go pro this year... aren't Johnson/hummel/moore seniors this year? I don't know who else on that team would think they could go pro

I don't think Purdue is out for 2011 yet, as they were very much in the mix for Brendan Dawson (MSU commit) and are still after Chasson Randle (down to Purdue, Illinois and Stanford). Given their pursuit of those two, I would guess they still have at least one, probably two, openings.

yeah, I just checked and they do have room, my bad

Very impressive video. Very long arms, moves well, handles the ball and loves to shoot the three. Holton would appear to be a significant upgrade from Oto. I can see why Tubby is interested.

Gophers have 13 scholarships next fall. They can sign as many players as they like (as they did in 2009).

Does that mean you're an advocate of over-signing and essentailly cutting guys who were recruited to be on scholarship but are now not good enough?

Does that mean you're an advocate of over-signing and essentailly cutting guys who were recruited to be on scholarship but are now not good enough?

Absolutely not. The Gophers had 3 scholarships to give last fall but wound up signing 6 (2 in the fall and 4 in the spring).

Recruiting is unpredictable.

ESPN Scouts Inc

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=71821

(Clipped)

Strengths:
Holton is a skilled face-up four-man with good size and length. He has a super smooth three-point stroke and is very consistent when his feet are set both in draw and kick and pick and pop action as well as when trailing the break. He will also get out and run lanes in transition and utilizes both his length and athleticism to finish on the break. He plays with a good motor on both ends and is able to block some shots from the weak side of the floor or get deflections in full court situations.

Weaknesses:
While Holton can score in bunches he can also disappear for stretches at a time offensively, primarily because he doesn't create his own shot off the dribble with much consistency. His frame has started to fill out within the last year but he must continue to get stronger so that he is more able to finish and rebound in traffic while also being able to defend the post. Holton also needs to learn to utilize his size, length, and shooting touch in the mid-range area.

Bottom Line:
Holton is a prototypical face-up four man with good size, length, athleticism, and a smooth skill set. He is a very good player right now who can score in bunches but has a very high potential ceiling if he can continue to fill out his frame, learn to make tough plays in traffic, and put his skill set to work in the mid-range area.

Florida HS Rivals Website

http://flavarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1113584 Named "player to watch" in 2010-11 season.

(Clipped)

Player to watch this upcoming season
For us, we think the player to watch is Jonathan Holton of Coral Gables. His talent is great but he doesn't always use it. He's long, athletic, has good skills, and can play multiple positions but too often he floats on the perimeter taking ill-advised threes. Holton will put together flashes where he is clearly the best player on the court and he needs to do that on a more frequent and consistent basis.

My hunch is that the Gophers will end up bringing in 5 new players next year. I expect 2 of the these 4 (Maverick,Oto, Chip, and Mo) to not be back. In addition to Al and Blake I believe one of the these three (Trevor,Devoe or Rodney) will be gone. This time last it was expected that Royce, Paul C and Justin would be part of this year's team. College BB is unpredicable.

idk about that roy, why would mo leave? devoe and rodney arent there yet, i could see chip maverick and oto transferring and mbakwe to the nba with a great season, but prolly not

wish we had more than 2 schollies availible. :/

Even if we 13 scollies available, you would have wished for more. That's a kind of person you are. You are an asset to this board with your constant negative posts.

Go Gophers

? can you hear yourself all the way from kentucky? how bout we make a thread bashing someone who used to play for a coach 6 years ago who played for a different team on an irrelevant board and then talk about others being negative and an asset to this board. :) eat your words cause youll get as good as you give.

to add im sure you know what kind of person i am from the internet. Brilliant way to judge ones character, im starting to wonder if I should even try to bash you because you might be mentally disabled and it wouldnt be fair or right. thats what kind of person i am.

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, Purdue doesn't have any schollies available right now unless they think an underclassman is going to go pro this year... aren't Johnson/hummel/moore seniors this year? I don't know who else on that team would think they could go pro

It would seem very doubtful that Purdue offers Holton at this point. They just received a commitment from another 2011 PF (Jacob Lawson from North Carolina) over the weekend.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3508595

Top Bottom