Joe Coleman concern

GrayShouldPlayReceiver

Reaction score
I've heard from some pretty plugged in people that Tubby is not recruiting this kid hard enough. Lots of talk about his height, but the kid can ball. No big surprise if he jets out of state. Just an fyi...for those that care.

I can't even imagine that Tubby is not recruiting Coleman with every enticement at his disposal. I can imagine that Coleman is considering all his options.

That's pretty weird...I heard something similar like 3 weeks ago, maybe from JohnnyGopher or someone else on this board? Maybe that explains Coleman's recent compliments when he visited ISU?

I've been saying this for MONTHS though, we need to lock this kid up ASAP. I understand that he's probably looking at his other options...but if Tubby & Staff don't have Coleman in their speed dials, using their rollover minutes in trying to lock him up, I'm going to be very worried...who else do we have as remotely good of chance of landing in the 2011 Class that is as well-regarded?

Looks like Tharpe is Minny's #1 target for 2011, while hoping to land Coleman on legacy alone.

Not sure a school can expect for this strategy to work in this day in age.

That's pretty weird...I heard something similar like 3 weeks ago, maybe from JohnnyGopher or someone else on this board? Maybe that explains Coleman's recent compliments when he visited ISU?

I've been saying this for MONTHS though, we need to lock this kid up ASAP. I understand that he's probably looking at his other options...but if Tubby & Staff don't have Coleman in their speed dials, using their rollover minutes in trying to lock him up, I'm going to be very worried...who else do we have as remotely good of chance of landing in the 2011 Class that is as well-regarded?

Oglesby is coming in for a visit and maybe, just maybe, Tubby & Crew want to wait until that takes place or maybe Andre Hollins. Must be that they see something in the situation and tha players that would cause them to not push hard.

[QUOTE= "step it up"?

Coleman has been offered a scholarship. He knows Tubby wants him to play for the team. Tubby doesn't have a magic wand or any way to force him to sign. He has to want to play here. How would you "step it up"? How does Tubby "step it up"? When a player chooses not to play for MInnesota it's because they feel they have a better option. I don't know what any coach can do about that. If you know a way tell us all. Define, "step it up".

"step it up"?

Coleman has been offered a scholarship. He knows Tubby wants him to play for the team. Tubby doesn't have a magic wand or any way to force him to sign. He has to want to play here. How would you "step it up"? How does Tubby "step it up"? When a player chooses not to play for MInnesota it's because they feel they have a better option. I don't know what any coach can do about that. If you know a way tell us all. Define, "step it up".

Exactly. If I were a recruit, and a coach kept blowing up my phone 24/7 I'd probably get so annoyed I'd have to turn it off and never speak to them again.

Tubby;s recruiting style, from what I understand, is to let the kid make the decision. He is not going to lie, or slick talk to get someone here. He's not being a used car salesman, he is being an adviser. He's hoping they will choose Minnesota because they want to be there, not because he coerced them into it with slick talk and lies and persuasion tricks.

(not the post im quoting, but the original post) As far as his recruiting dropping off "lately" how quickly people forget ... Even this year, Mo Walker is top 150. Austin Hollins and Elliot Elliason are both 3-star recruits. Add that in with the top 20 classes his first 2 years. And Trevor returning this year. People seriously need to stop acting like the sky is falling every single day. It is getting to be more and more ridiculous.

No sky falling. I just care...That's been the problem with the football team...not enough people demand a dominate program and where has that gotten us over the last 50 years?! Fans need to keep the pressure on.

Do you think fan pressure will make Tubby go out and recruit harder? Dude's won a title, he's won more games than most people can ever imagine. Fan pressure at Minnesota is not gonna change who he is and how he'll go about his business.

And I'll take Tubby's recent recruiting. Two top 25 classes, along with three highly regarded recruits this season with some fillers who were only needed because of some unexpected attrition. Could it be better? Of course, Tubby's not the absolute best out there, but he's one of the best and probably the best Minnesota could ever hope for at this point.

No sky falling. I just care...That's been the problem with the football team...not enough people demand a dominate program and where has that gotten us over the last 50 years?! Fans need to keep the pressure on.

So how do the fans do that? Picket Tubby's office? Or send him emails? Or what some do and the worst possible thing; don't attend the games?

I can't imagine where Tubby or Brewster aren't doing their best to get the best student athletes to come to MN.

Exactly. If I were a recruit, and a coach kept blowing up my phone 24/7 I'd probably get so annoyed I'd have to turn it off and never speak to them again.

Tubby;s recruiting style, from what I understand, is to let the kid make the decision. He is not going to lie, or slick talk to get someone here. He's not being a used car salesman, he is being an adviser. He's hoping they will choose Minnesota because they want to be there, not because he coerced them into it with slick talk and lies and persuasion tricks.

(not the post im quoting, but the original post) As far as his recruiting dropping off "lately" how quickly people forget ... Even this year, Mo Walker is top 150. Austin Hollins and Elliot Elliason are both 3-star recruits. Add that in with the top 20 classes his first 2 years. And Trevor returning this year. People seriously need to stop acting like the sky is falling every single day. It is getting to be more and more ridiculous.

That's my understanding also. The kid should be proud to be able to play for University of Minnesota and coach Tubby Smith.

To be honest with you, that' why I started that Rondo post to keep people's minds off this topic. You all need to wait and see what our kids can do before you start getting worried.

Did you see what happened to MSU? They got all their players in such a short period of time with minimal efford. Once we start winning, recruits will beg to play for us. Lets support our team and hope to win Big10 and go deep in NCAA.

Go Gophers

Coleman will be a tougher get than most on this board think. He is tight with Royce White at ISU, and if White has a good year there combined with a team on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he decided to sign up. White's success (or lack of success)at ISU will probably be a big factor in Joe's decision. I still think the U will win out, but it is something to consider. Personally, I like Tharpe just as much (if not more)regardless of what position each plays.

Coleman will be a tougher get than most on this board think. He is tight with Royce White at ISU, and if White has a good year there combined with a team on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he decided to sign up. White's success (or lack of success)at ISU will probably be a big factor in Joe's decision. I still think the U will win out, but it is something to consider. Personally, I like Tharpe just as much (if not more)regardless of what position each plays.

I have a dumb question. Is Royce going to be able to play this year at ISU? If he has to sit, there won't be a way for Coleman to judge his relative "success", and considering Royce's track record and history, I wouldn't count on him lasting long at ISU.

omg another isu fan. Im sure you know their relationship well dont you steffyboy? royce wont play, and if the b12 is as good as the other cyclone fans here seem to think, youre still finishing last or next to last in the conference.

Coleman will be a tougher get than most on this board think. He is tight with Royce White at ISU, and if White has a good year there combined with a team on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he decided to sign up. White's success (or lack of success)at ISU will probably be a big factor in Joe's decision.

I'm assuming your reference to White's potential good year at ISU takes place during the 2011-2012 season. There is 0 chance the NCAA grants a waiver for him to play this season.

The odds of him ever playing a game in Ames are long at best. Once he finds out he can't suit up right away, he will blame everyone but himself, as always, and wind up posting more videos on youtube.

Royce will be sitting out this year so we won't know if he's having success at Iowa State until after Coleman's freshman year in college.

Go Gophers!!

I have a dumb question. Is Royce going to be able to play this year at ISU? If he has to sit, there won't be a way for Coleman to judge his relative "success", and considering Royce's track record and history, I wouldn't count on him lasting long at ISU.

White has NO CHANCE of playing this year at ISU.

Lots on hand-wringing on this thread. Not sure how some of you can sleep at night.

From what I've read I don't think Royce White has much of any influence on Coleman's recruitment beyond a familiar face. Familiarity maybe, but I wouldn't call them tight.

Offhand, he is a Minnesota native, has a strong relationship with the U, knows the ins and outs of the school, and has not signed yet. My guess is that there is a better than good posibility he signs elsewhere.

Offhand, he is a Minnesota native, has a strong relationship with the U, knows the ins and outs of the school, and has not signed yet. My guess is that there is a better than good posibility he signs elsewhere.

He can't sign anywhere until November. My guess is he'll be a Gopher.

The whole offer confusion thing earlier this year could have been a little hurdle for the Gopher's to overcome too. That couldn't have sat well with the Coleman's.

Royce will be sitting out this year so we won't know if he's having success at Iowa State until after Coleman's freshman year in college.

Go Gophers!!

If he is able to find a source for "free" designer jeans at a mall in or near Ames, that will be evidence of success.

Tongue in cheek, of course.

So are we seriously not pushing for Coleman while we courted Jasperson and Oglsby? Along with signing 2 filler type gaurds? Coleman has produce at the highest level of HS competition. It should be a no-brainer we put the full-court press on to get Coleman. There are 5 coaches including Tubby. There's at least 1 coach that can show this kid that we really want him. I hope the recruitment of Tharpe doesn't turn out to be another C. Joseph situation.

Top Bottom