Enlisting your ideas for Gopher Marketing...

GopherLady

Reaction score
I realized this week that I had turned into the kind of fan I hate the most, the kind that complains about things, but does nothing to help make the program better. I would like to submit a list of ideas to the basketball marketing rep on ideas on how to make our fanbase stronger, sell more tickets, and particularly, appreciate season ticket holder (this part is HUGE for me, as I feel that we get screwed paying $35/ticket when you could get them for half that with scalpers). Just to give you a little background on the marketing person:

1. It's not Deb Diamond, I laugh when people blame her for things, and I don't think she's worked on Men's bbball for about 6 years or more.
2. She is a U of MN grad, and loves the Gophers - which is a huge, considering many are not. She is open to ideas, and I know she is trying. Trust me, after 2 1/2 years on the Barnyard, it's almost impossible to get administration to change things. I fought many battles, and a number of times, I think they just said "no" to say "no" and for no other reason.

Anyways, getting back to my point - this is not a bitch-fest - but if you have constructive, actual ideas on how you think we can make our bball program strong, please list them, and I will talk to her about them - as well as adding in about 30 of my own ideas. Obviously, no guarantees that any will be accomplished, but I know that she will try.

obviously i think the big thing is getting a practice facility and maybe giving williams a face lift somehow, like a renewed concourse or someting idk. How the U would pay for it, idk but i have no money to contribute and i dont know who would right now.

GL, I will throw out a few ideas. Since I live waaay out of state and never been to the barn, these ideas may already be in practice.

Free posters of the team (and individual players) as give-aways at the game. Sufficient quantity for all.

A fan-cam that pans the crowd and puts their images on the big screen. I actually saw a marriage proposal on the big screen at a bball game. The biggest cheers come for the older folks who are up and "dancing" to the music. There are some real "hams" out there.

Obviously. big screens... to advertise, fan-cams, player and team profiles, university activities, etc....

"Throw or shoot (air gun to reach the higher levels) " t-shirts into the crowd perhaps to the areas that win cheering competitions within the barn.

Selection of "row and seats" for special give-a-ways. (watch a practice or free food....etc)

I realized this week that I had turned into the kind of fan I hate the most, the kind that complains about things, but does nothing to help make the program better. I would like to submit a list of ideas to the basketball marketing rep on ideas on how to make our fanbase stronger, sell more tickets, and particularly, appreciate season ticket holder (this part is HUGE for me, as I feel that we get screwed paying $35/ticket when you could get them for half that with scalpers). Just to give you a little background on the marketing person:

1. It's not Deb Diamond, I laugh when people blame her for things, and I don't think she's worked on Men's bbball for about 6 years or more.
2. She is a U of MN grad, and loves the Gophers - which is a huge, considering many are not. She is open to ideas, and I know she is trying. Trust me, after 2 1/2 years on the Barnyard, it's almost impossible to get administration to change things. I fought many battles, and a number of times, I think they just said "no" to say "no" and for no other reason.

Anyways, getting back to my point - this is not a bitch-fest - but if you have constructive, actual ideas on how you think we can make our bball program strong, please list them, and I will talk to her about them - as well as adding in about 30 of my own ideas. Obviously, no guarantees that any will be accomplished, but I know that she will try.

Just curious. Aren't marketing types hired because of their creativity, branding and event planning skills? Seems to me that a UMN grad who "loves the Gophers" should be full of ideas with the savvy to implement them.

Might want to start by extending the availability of Gopher wear to include more numbers than 24 and 1. Also, I like the big head signs that are so popular in other Big Ten arenas. Seems the marketing department might want to invest in some of those for the student section. An alumni booster club (not just high rollers and former athletes) for each sport, might also be a good way to generate new "marketing" ideas.

obviously i think the big thing is getting a practice facility and maybe giving williams a face lift somehow, like a renewed concourse or someting idk. How the U would pay for it, idk but i have no money to contribute and i dont know who would right now.

I'm pretty sure Marketing doesn't have the authoity to build the practice facility, I wish they did!

GL, I will throw out a few ideas. Since I live waaay out of state and never been to the barn, these ideas may already be in practice.

Free posters of the team (and individual players) as give-aways at the game. Sufficient quantity for all.

A fan-cam that pans the crowd and puts their images on the big screen. I actually saw a marriage proposal on the big screen at a bball game. The biggest cheers come for the older folks who are up and "dancing" to the music. There are some real "hams" out there.

Obviously. big screens... to advertise, fan-cams, player and team profiles, university activities, etc....

"Throw or shoot (air gun to reach the higher levels) " t-shirts into the crowd perhaps to the areas that win cheering competitions within the barn.

Selection of "row and seats" for special give-a-ways. (watch a practice or free food....etc)

Great ideas, thanks! This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about - do-able things they can actually implement.

Just curious. Aren't marketing types hired because of their creativity, branding and event planning skills? Seems to me that a UMN grad who "loves the Gophers" should be full of ideas with the savvy to implement them.

Might want to start by extending the availability of Gopher wear to include more numbers than 24 and 1. Also, I like the big head signs that are so popular in other Big Ten arenas. Seems the marketing department might want to invest in some of those for the student section. An alumni booster club (not just high rollers and former athletes) for each sport, might also be a good way to generate new "marketing" ideas.

She actually interned with the Gophers during undergrad and worked her tail off - and I'm pretty sure the interns are unpaid. Obviously is educated, I was just adding that she actually is Gopher fan, born and raised. To take a job like this (tons of work and little pay) you have to have passion. She has plenty of ideas, but I know the more input the better, one person doesn't have the solution to everything.

I actually love the idea of the lower end booster club. I had mentioned that to the Dunkers - but it just means someone taking it on. Goal Line Club does a great job, and is affordable to be a part of.

yea sorry i just read the last paragraph about how we can make our program stronger etc. I look pretty stupid when i read the whole thing lol. But if you do ever get inside the pocketbooks of the U, feel free to suggest that. :)

This a great topic. I share half a season of great seats and had a full season of not great seats. I got rid of the season tickets per your comments on being able to buy them below face. It sounds terrible but maybe they need to block off some of the seats and not sell them to create some demand. I have been waiting to relive the feeling of the full barn for years but besides the Wisco game it just doesn't happen. I do think the ability to get parking across the street helps.

Here is one other random idea. What if to the extent tickets remained we could exchange our tickets to the crappy games for more tickets to the good games. For example I give the U back two seats to Winona St. for two more seats to Indiana. While the Indiana seats wouldn't be next to mine or in a great location I would at least have an easier time convincing a friend to go to that game. Assuming they have a good time maybe they become a ticket buyer. This could lead to even worse attendance for a Winona St game but I'm not sure they deserve a full house for that junk.

This a great topic. I share half a season of great seats and had a full season of not great seats. I got rid of the season tickets per your comments on being able to buy them below face. It sounds terrible but maybe they need to block off some of the seats and not sell them to create some demand. I have been waiting to relive the feeling of the full barn for years but besides the Wisco game it just doesn't happen. I do think the ability to get parking across the street helps.

Here is one other random idea. What if to the extent tickets remained we could exchange our tickets to the crappy games for more tickets to the good games. For example I give the U back two seats to Winona St. for two more seats to Indiana. While the Indiana seats wouldn't be next to mine or in a great location I would at least have an easier time convincing a friend to go to that game. Assuming they have a good time maybe they become a ticket buyer. This could lead to even worse attendance for a Winona St game but I'm not sure they deserve a full house for that junk.

Can you still renew? I'd love to buy your half season. In fact, I would love to split a season with anyone this year.
Which could be another marketing idea. Sell half season packages. The three game packs are a start.

You want to fill the seats, create enthusiasim and make more $$? Allow beer to be sold. I don't give a rats ass what the rest of the Big Ten or country is doing and the moralistic rationale they give for its ban. Beer is legal for those over 21. We can make millions of dollars off the players but God forbid we expose students to beer. Here's a shocker: Students know what beer is. If students can't handle it, make the student section beer free and police it. Just let me have mine in my section.

Particularly in football.

What a stupid little standoff the U has with the legislature. I agree with the legislature, by the way. If they allow beer anywhere, it should be allowed everywhere. My tax dollars support the teams and the buildings just like those in the suites.

Sorry, I kept my half season and let my full season go. I'm pretty sure there are decent seats available especially if you are willing to pay a premium.

Ohh pick me pick me, How bout, and i know this looks shady but i assure you i am not a kentucky fan, get some kind of celebrity to williams for tubby's tip off. like kentucky had drake and 20000 screaming fans at midnight madness, if you could lure people who were casual basketball fans to see the team and enjoy them, maybe you could sell a couple more tix. just an idea. anyone famous a U of M booster or fan?

Are the professors, administration and other employees generally big Gopher fans or not? If not grab 3 and have them sing the rouser or kareoke at half time. Tell them a winner will be picked and he will be crowned the greatest ever. Winners will be decided by fan noise. Tell them it would help their cause if they could get some of their students or friends to attend. Also have the professors and others dress in animal costumes or paint them gold as some off the students would show up just for that. Maybe it's an exciting game and we gain some new fans.

ALSO we need better taunts at opponents and officials, Bo Ryan sucks chants make us look like hicks. Have a suggestion box for WITTY chants and if its good pass it out to the students the next game. Does anybody remember the old Houston Oilers song -Houston Oilers number one- That song was great because it was short and easy to sing, we need one of them also but keep it short!

I mean, these ideas are okay...but like you said your main market is going to be potential buyers of season tickets. So, my guess is that you are going to have to start advertising towards the non-student market right? So advertisements in local newspapers (Star Trib and PP) might help...but if you want to start appreciating season ticket holders you should have segments in between commercial breaks and halftime targeted specifically at the season-ticket section. When I had season tickets as a student, I noticed a LOT of downtime during halftime. I mean, you have cameras and mics and a big screen...so put it to use. The promo could be something along the lines of short interviews of long-time season ticket holders...special segments on 'super' fans...or other things along those lines (cute old couples, newlyweds, etc.). Season ticket holders could be issued emails encouraging them to submit stories and whatnot. I guess I am mainly drawing ideas from attending other sporting events though, and I am sure the marketing department has examined some of these options.

O.K. now I'm just having fun but I need some help to finish this idea. We always bitch because we have to compete against the Vikings, Twins and Other Pro sports but their are people out there that don't like any of them. Their is an untapped market with future grads that have high earning potential/donation potential. Who might this be you ask? Nerds!! I have seen nerds become hardcore fans and it is usually for just one team not all of Minnesota sports. They are loyal and they give. What we have to do is be that team they love, the devil of course is in the details. Why does a large part of the more nerdy - I mean that in a good way- student population tend to stay away from sports events in most universities? They may act like it's benenth them but that may just be a coverup, we don't know. Send out questionaries to students in certain classes and ask them why sports doesn't appeal to them. Is it lack of knowledge in the game or maybe they don't realize how involved offenses and defenses are and think the game is only about athletic ability. Here's where I need help, nerds like intellectual activities, what can we do to make them feel welcome and give them insentive to show up;

I've been away from MN during football and basketball season for awhile now, so perhaps they're already in place, but I'll spout anyway:
* I've heard this said many times before, but when there's a "Gold Out" don't rely on people to show up with their own gold t-shirts; find a corporate sponsor to drape the T-shirts across each of the seats (not just student section). I think a big reason for the popularity of the Izzone, the Orange Crush in Illinois, etc. is the desire to be a part of the crowd-it looks fun, it looks united, it plays very well on TV.
* Pretty simplistic idea here, but have the band (tuba players primarily) work the crowd during timeouts, short breaks in action. . .I think I was at a football game in Madison when the tuba players came through various sections of the stadium playing during the game; hate to reference Bucky for an idea, but it sparked the crowd.
* As another already stated, liven up the dead times at time-outs, halftime, etc. with "great Gopher moments sponsored by _________" A 30 second/45 second clip on the '82 championship, the Michael Bauer buzzer beater to defeat Georgia, Vincent Grier's explosion against Wisky, a short profile on the likes of Lou Hudson or Mychal Thompson. . .would be engaging, tie in Gopher history during the game, and serve as a reminder of great times gone by.
* As previous people said. . .the idea of a partial season ticket package or a three game/five game pack of tickets is a wonderful idea, along with the booster club for non-deep pocket types.
* Going back a bit here. . .ties in with the T-shirt idea. . .we've all seen photos of people wearing a T-shirt or reading a certain magazine in exotic locales. . .encourage fans to send in pictures from all over the globe while wearing their gold "Gopher Nation" or whatever T-shirt (say Macchu Picchu in Peru :)). Find a sponsor such as Sun Country or whoever and flash up photos of various fans from these far-flung or not so far-flung places. Again, it's fun to see, it's relatively easy to do, gets people thinking about Gopher sports beyond the game (better pack my Gopher Nation T-shirt when I head to Istanbul!).
* Don't know if this would be very cost effective, but set aside a suite for each game or a handful of games throughout the season, awarded to contest winners-perhaps loyal season ticket holders, perhaps a random lucky fan(s) who are buying single game tickets, perhaps a young fan and his or her family who won the essay contest "Why the Gophers Rule". Like I said, might not be the most cost effective, but could be encouraging to spur people to buy tickets.

Alright, that's all I got.

semi pro style, at halftime, trevor mbakwe will fight a bear, the team will do a sychronized dance, rodney williams will clear a row of people on roller skates, and at the end there will be a twin cities mega bowl. if it worked for jackie, it will work for you.

It is a simply game experience thing, but I would like them to relegate the cutesy little contests to half time (who else actually misses the subway super shoot out...seriously, it was good) where they belong. Have Dick J say, this time out sponsored by ____ and then let the band play. MPR style advertising!

Nothing worse than dropping $35 to get in the door, only to be bombarded with ads for 2 hours. We don't pay to be exposed to advertising.

If we have to put up with advertising during timeouts, which seems inevitable, just read an ad or show it on the screen and dispense with the goofy contests so that there's time for the band and cheerleaders to do their thing.

If no sponsor is going to come forward and provide everybody with gold gear, encourage the marketing folks to work with the clothing vendors to supply some gold gear, or gear that is at least more gold than maroon. The U promotes "gold outs," but fans have a hard time finding gold gear, except for t-shirts, which aren't too practical during hoops season or during late fall football games. Most Gopher gear is maroon or maroon with a hint of gold. And, horrors, sometimes Gopher gear is even blue or some other color!

Thanks for undertaking this effort, GL. Good luck!

I applaud at least the effort to improve our "brand" at Williams...kudos GL!

I like the "New Alumni" season ticket idea the football team recently adopted. Get the young crew into the program early. Or if you want to limit this only offer to those that purchased the football "New Alumni" tix.

As others have said, the Gold t-shirt's for a "gold out" is awesome to see on T.V. and for those at the game.

Get "Atmosphere" or some other local band that has 18-30 yr old appeal to hold a concert during our version of Midnight Madness. Instead of FREE admission, charge $5 to recoup the costs.

Give the kids 5 - 22 a "Rodney Williams Dunk o Meter" that they can hold up to rate each of Rodney's dunks. The Sporcenter generation loves that crap. (secretly so do I) Or a have them hold up a # that they think his dunk will rate on the Sporcenter Top 10 plays.

For games that they know won't sell out send each H.S. Coach in the 7 county metro area 15 vouchers to give his/her players to redeem for tix to said games at $10 or $15 "While supplies last"

I could go on but it's getting late...good luck!

Are the professors, administration and other employees generally big Gopher fans or not? If not grab 3 and have them sing the rouser or kareoke at half time. Tell them a winner will be picked and he will be crowned the greatest ever. Winners will be decided by fan noise. Tell them it would help their cause if they could get some of their students or friends to attend. Also have the professors and others dress in animal costumes or paint them gold as some off the students would show up just for that. Maybe it's an exciting game and we gain some new fans.

I have not run into a professor in 2+ years that has shared even a shred of my enthusiasm for any of the teams. Most actively dislike the teams and a couple would rant against TCF Bank Stadium.

Yeah, nothing irks me more than a goldout that looks like any other game. In order to do it effectively you have to pony up and provide the shirts. Any good goldout/black/whiteout the shirts are provided in the arena.

O.K. now I'm just having fun but I need some help.... Is it lack of knowledge in the game or maybe they don't realize how involved offenses and defenses are and think the game is only about athletic ability. Here's where I need help, nerds like intellectual activities, what can we do to make them feel welcome and give them insentive to show up;

Mother - I just couldn't resist!

Maybe they like to sit next to intellectuals like themselves. They can prolly spell "incentive". LOL:rolleyes:

Great ideas so far, thanks so much, keep them coming! I think that this is the best sounding board for stuff like this - a wide range of die-hard fans, intelligent people (for the most part ;), years of experience...this is exactly why all of your minds are better than one, or a few. Please keep them coming. I'll be sure to post what I end up pulling together!

:rolleyes:
Mother - I just couldn't resist!

Maybe they like to sit next to intellectuals like themselves. They can prolly spell "incentive". LOL:rolleyes:

If thats your best effort at sarcasm they won't be rushing to sit by you either. LOL:rolleyes:

My thoughts

My thoughts have basically been mentioned, but wanted to get my "votes" in on at least 3 things that have always bugged me as a fan / season ticket holder

1) Sell more Gopher Basketball specific apparel. When I shop, I want my items to be specific to Gopher basketball and typically gold to match the student section. This leaves me with approximately 2 shirts to choose from each year and maybe a new hat if I am lucky. Plus, I wanted to buy a jersey for my son but only option is # 24. Why is that? In this day and age, custom choices should be available on nearly all items. Maybe a nice gold Basketball polo. When I go on vacation, I am proud to wear and advertise Gopher Basketball and want more choices to do so.
2) As someone mentioned earlier, if a “gold out” of the Barn is advertised, find a corporate sponsor to donate the shirts. Otherwise, advertising the “gold out” is almost embarrassing as very few seem to do it.
3) Pre-determined advertisements at certain time outs really kill the atmosphere in the Barn. I am ready for the rouser to come from the band and suddenly have an ad being read over the PA system. This seems to be # 1 on this list – find a way to advertise during the game without killing the atmosphere of the Barn.

Season Ticket Holder Appreciation

One thing I didn't see in the suggestions about season ticket holders is some type of event for them a couple of times a year. Maybe have us over to McNamara after a day game or before a game some time, just to say thanks. It could be linked to the booster club for low end donors that many of us see a need for.

As a 20 plus year season ticket holder, I have been frustrated many times that the department simply does not appreciate our loylaty in good times and bad. A couple of bones tossed our way would be nice, now and again.

I'll add my two cents on the "give aways" as well. I like them, but they need to make sure they have enough and distribute them reasonably evenly. If you don't know where the posters, etc. are, you won't get one.

Good idea on a fan appreciation event, Holy Man. Dan Monson actually did that one year. He held a pre-season fan appreciation event in the Sports Pavilion, where folks could bring their kids, meet the players face-to-face, etc. How difficult is that to repeat?

Top Bottom