Naadir Tharpe Visiting Sept 17th

Plenty of possibilities.

Tharpe is planning on coming for the USC weekend (Oglesby as well)... help us out, Brewster.

Shaping up to be an important next several weeks for us... I believe Tharpe was hanging out at St. John's a couple of days ago.. Lavin has a ton of top guys talking to him, but how many will he reel in this year is the question.. with Tharpe we have an opportunity for him to earn big minutes in year 1... some of the others that might afford him an opportunity to take reigns immediately (like St. John's, ... Rutgers) still have a number of very good point guards they are talking to.. chips will continue to fall - tough to call at this point. One thing is known about the kid - he will be playing with some excellent talent this season at Brewster. They've got a lot of high majors and may add more before the year gets underway...

Shaping up to be an important next several weeks for us... I believe Tharpe was hanging out at St. John's a couple of days ago.. Lavin has a ton of top guys talking to him, but how many will he reel in this year is the question.. with Tharpe we have an opportunity for him to earn big minutes in year 1... some of the others that might afford him an opportunity to take reigns immediately (like St. John's, ... Rutgers) still have a number of very good point guards they are talking to.. chips will continue to fall - tough to call at this point. One thing is known about the kid - he will be playing with some excellent talent this season at Brewster. They've got a lot of high majors and may add more before the year gets underway...

Lavin could sell popsicles to native Alaskans, he's plenty good as a recruiter. Not so good at the W-L results.

Tharpe is visiting somewhere out East on Sept 2nd but I forget where.

He's visiting Rutger's first. There was a lot of talk early in his recruitment about wanting to stay close to home. Hopefully Mo Walker brings a little familiarity to the squad. So far that connection is 0-1 though. Tubby definitely will be the #1 influence on Tharpe, #2 has got to be playing time. He has got to see how thin we are at PG. Getting him to campus is a huge step.

gotta lock him up, he would be a starter by his sophmore year and get around 15-20 mpg as a freshman. plus hes gotta realize you cant win at rutgers or saint johns right now.

Lavin's W-L record is actually very good. 145-78 at UCLA with 6 NCAA appearances in 7 years. Granted, he was at UCLA, but I don't think winning was much of a problem.

Lavin's W-L record is actually very good. 145-78 at UCLA with 6 NCAA appearances in 7 years. Granted, he was at UCLA, but I don't think winning was much of a problem.

I beg to differ. Those UCLA teams were enormously talented. To only win 2 of 3 games with such talented rosters is a disappointment.

Tharpe got some ink this afternoon... looks like he can handle some pain.

ntharpe1.jpg

PS - Rutgers got a 2011 commit this afternoon... was expected, in Malick Kone, a 6'6" wing that plays with DC Assault

From what I've read and seen, the Gopher team acts very much like a family...they do everything together and hang out. That could also influence Tharpe's decision...whether or not he clicks right away with the other Gophs. Of course his high respect for Tubby is going to influence his decision much more, but I expect him to have a very positive experience on his visit...can't wait to hear what he thinks

Zagsblog (Quote From Tharpe)

THARPE VISTING 2

Brewster (N.H.) Academy point guard Naadir Tharpe will visit Rutgers Sept. 2 and Minnesota Sept. 17.

“Basically I want to be a leader,” he said recently. “It doesn’t matter what team you play on, your point guard is supposed to be the leader of your team. I’m gonna try to bring leadership, as well as winning.”

Rutgers on a tear... (St. John's with a nice pickup this week too in Maurice Harkless..)

For Rutgers and coach Rice, they got Malick Kone last week.. now Kadeem Jack and today Myles Mack has committed... Mack is a 2011 point guard and should affect the interest between Rutgers and Tharpe... in fact, the word is that Naadir's scheduled visit for this weekend at Rutgers has been cancelled.

There are other schools in play, but this is a 'good' development from the perspective of those that hope Tharpe winds up at Minnesota.

Wow, where did Rutgers come from? That is excellent news if true for the Gophers. How hard is Marquette pushing for Tharpe?

i wouldnt worry about marquette, they did just sign vander blue last year and he'll be their starter for the next 4 years i would guess. Good news for my gophs, and congrats to rutgers on a good class whens the last time they caught a break?

i wouldnt worry about marquette, they did just sign vander blue last year and he'll be their starter for the next 4 years i would guess. Good news for my gophs, and congrats to rutgers on a good class whens the last time they caught a break?

Marquette may not get (or even want) Tharpe but Buzz Williams and staff are very GOOD recruiters.

In the long run, Williams > Crean at Marquette, I think.

Rutgers on a tear... (St. John's with a nice pickup this week too in Maurice Harkless..)

For Rutgers and coach Rice, they got Malick Kone last week.. now Kadeem Jack and today Myles Mack has committed... Mack is a 2011 point guard and should affect the interest between Rutgers and Tharpe... in fact, the word is that Naadir's scheduled visit for this weekend at Rutgers has been cancelled.

There are other schools in play, but this is a 'good' development from the perspective of those that hope Tharpe winds up at Minnesota.

Clipped from Hoomasters:

“I just felt like I should go to Rutgers,” Jack said during the interview. “Start from the ground up and maybe 50 years from now people will start saying Kadeem Jack was that guy that helped Rutgers back to glory.”

I think ISU is still hard after Tharpe. Former Brewster teammate (Ejim) there as well. Good to see Rutgers out of the mix and I like Jack's attitude.

Wow, where did Rutgers come from? That is excellent news if true for the Gophers. How hard is Marquette pushing for Tharpe?

New coach Mike Rice has a lot to do with it, not to mention a lot of playing time opportunity at Rutgers right now.. (btw, Rice was an assistant coach at Marquette back when I was in school). I look forward to seeing if Rutgers... or Lavin at St. John's.. can get their programs into the conversation of the upper half of BEast bball programs in the coming few years.

Go Gophs eh? said:
i wouldnt worry about marquette, they did just sign vander blue last year and he'll be their starter for the next 4 years i would guess.

As for Marquette.. there has been interest in him (as well as Myles Mack)... but MU is not in desperate need of PG like Minnesota and I hope Tharpe winds up in the Twin Cities. It's feeling like a real possibility. There are some other targets (at various positions) of Marquette that we're on more.

Vander.. He is incredible and is going to have a great time at Marquette and beyond, but I'm not so sure he starts this season and when he does play this year and in the future, I don't see much of it being at point guard.

However, we do have sophomore Junior Cadougan, originally from Canada, who played sparingly last year after making a remarkable comeback later in the season from his surgery after his achilles was blown out about 50 weeks ago. RSCI #47 guy in the 2009 class that was expected to compete for the starting PG job immediately. He's good to go this year.

An athletic freshman from IL, Reggie Smith is another point that could turn out being quite impressive. Could also see senior Dwight Buycks get some run at the point this season.

And next year we'll also have available 6'4" Dave Singleton that could play some point for us - he'll be off the court this year as a walk-on transfer, but has two years of D1 experience.

So, in 2010-11, we're looking at Junior and Singleton as juniors and Reggie as a soph...

Clipped from Hoomasters:

“I just felt like I should go to Rutgers,” Jack said during the interview. “Start from the ground up and maybe 50 years from now people will start saying Kadeem Jack was that guy that helped Rutgers back to glory.”

Did I miss the part where Rutgers had glory before?

I think ISU is still hard after Tharpe. Former Brewster teammate (Ejim) there as well. Good to see Rutgers out of the mix and I like Jack's attitude.

Well the last interviews i saw of tharpe he didn't even mention ISU, not that they aren't pursuing him, he just isnt that interested. And the gophs also have a former brewster teammate.

Rutgers visit officially canceled

Tharpe officially canceled his visit to Rutgers. This is good.

New article up at NEhoopsnews.com

"I have no favorites right now. Everything is wide open and everyone has a fair shake," Tharpe stated. He plans on visiting Minnesota officially on September 17th weekend. All the schools have offered except UCLA. He plans on scheduling the other visits at a later date, but said he will definitely visit more than Minnesota.

"I want to wait until after the season to make my decision. I don't want to rush into anything," added Tharpe.

Sure hopes he changes his thinking on timing... wouldn't be the first to do so.

I talked to Brewster head coach Jason Smith earlier today about an upcoming story on Tharpe. Smith said that other schools have shown interest, but the only visit he has planned is with Minnesota, which you would think would give them an edge if he has a good visit in two weeks.

Chris Monter

Really hope we can get him. Seems odd that he doesn't have more offers with the rankings he has. Is it because he committed to Providence and reopened his recruitment? I guess that still doesn't really explain anything. Gopher Warrior, you're usually on top of these kinds of things. Ideas?

I talked to Brewster head coach Jason Smith earlier today about an upcoming story on Tharpe. Smith said that other schools have shown interest, but the only visit he has planned is with Minnesota, which you would think would give them an edge if he has a good visit in two weeks.

Chris Monter

Really hope we can get him. Seems odd that he doesn't have more offers with the rankings he has. Is it because he committed to Providence and reopened his recruitment? I guess that still doesn't really explain anything. Gopher Warrior, you're usually on top of these kinds of things. Ideas?

Wouldn't get concerned about who has and who hasn't offered - he'd be great to have. It really does look like a nice fit for Tharpe in Minnesota.

UNLV is there tonight for an in-home with Tharpe... just heard from coach Jason Smith.. and he was thinking this coming Tuesday that Tubby will be at Brewster to say hello.. then of course we've got the visit in a week, including the game vs. USC. Could set up very nicely.

Oglesby is expected as well next weekend.. he'll be at Iowa's game tomorrow along with a few... I think all from the Martin Bros AAU prgoram... Marcus Paige, Adam Woodbury and Mike Gesell. Nice group checking out the Hawkeyes.

Wouldn't get concerned about who has and who hasn't offered - he'd be great to have. It really does look like a nice fit for Tharpe in Minnesota.

UNLV is there tonight for an in-home with Tharpe... just heard from coach Jason Smith.. and he was thinking this coming Tuesday that Tubby will be at Brewster to say hello.. then of course we've got the visit in a week, including the game vs. USC. Could set up very nicely.

Oglesby is expected as well next weekend.. he'll be at Iowa's game tomorrow along with a few... I think all from the Martin Bros AAU prgoram... Marcus Paige, Adam Woodbury and Mike Gesell. Nice group checking out the Hawkeyes.

FWIW Hoopmasters:

Tharpe ... is currently considering Iowa State, Minnesota, N.C. State, Providence, St. John's and Wake Forest.

That certainly looks like the sort of list of schools we should be able to beat out for a recruit.

I'm definitely biased, but it seems that Minnesota is the best opportunity for him. Potential to be a 3-4 year starter in the Big Ten and play with a friend/old teammate. Hopefully he commits on or right after his visit. Would be a great start to the 2011 recruiting class.

Just seems a little odd that he doesn't have more but I suppose those sites aren't always accurate. In any case, it sounds like we could really use him. He certainly would have a great chance at logging big minutes as a freshman here.

Keep in mind that Tharpe is pretty bright (I think I read somewhere he made a thirty-something on the ACT?), so he'll probably be taking the academic side of the schools into account to some degree.

Top Bottom