interesting read by former Tubby player

go-for-gold

Banned
Reaction score
http://susanshan.com/2010/08/25/joe-crawfords-nba-dream-alive/

I enjoy college basketball as my favorite sport, so I like to go to other teams sites to see what they have to say about things. I found this article interesting since Joe Crawford acknowledged that he didn't feel he would have been drafted if not for Tubby leaving & Billy G. coming in to take over for Tubby. I don't think that says much for Tubby's development skills if Billy G. was an up grade? We saw how that situation played out.

I know from reading Ky.wildcat message boards that they do not miss Tubby at all & after reading some of their arguments I can see their point. I used to work with a Ky. fan & all he did was bad mouth Tubby's lack of recruiting & offensive coaching style. I said Tubby averaged 26 wins per season in Ky. but his argument was that even though his average was 26 wins he also had double digit losses in over half the seasons he was in Ky. He also said his recruiting was worse each season, signing left overs in the spring. He never took his own players to a final4
& he left the program in worse shape than he inherited it.

He said Tubby saw the writing on the wall as far as where the talent level has fallen too & new it was not at Ky. standards & he knew the NIT Tourny loomed on the horizon & decided to look for a new start some where where the expectations were not as demanding as Ky. what do you guys think?

Hey Go for Gold, at least come out and admit you're a UK fan, not a gopher fan. You can post as much drivel over here as you want from CatsPause, but don't pretend you're a Gopher fan.

As to Joe Crawford, the guy matured. He came in and quit the team before the end of his first semester. He felt that the world revolved around him and Tubby wasn't going to take it from him or any player. Joe grew as a man and matured, and his attitude vastly improved, which equaled more playing time. Trying to pin all the blame on Tubby is pretty lame. Joe was a sulker a not a team player and everyone at UK knew that.

I enjoy college basketball as my favorite sport, so I like to go to other teams sites to see what they have to say about things. I found this article interesting since Joe Crawford acknowledged that he didn't feel he would have been drafted if not for Tubby leaving & Billy G. coming in to take over for Tubby. I don't think that says much for Tubby's development skills if Billy G. was an up grade? We saw how that situation played out.

I know from reading Ky.wildcat message boards that they do not miss Tubby at all & after reading some of their arguments I can see their point. I used to work with a Ky. fan & all he did was bad mouth Tubby's lack of recruiting & offensive coaching style. I said Tubby averaged 26 wins per season in Ky. but his argument was that even though his average was 26 wins he also had double digit losses in over half the seasons he was in Ky. He also said his recruiting was worse each season, signing left overs in the spring. He never took his own players to a final4

He said Tubby saw the writing on the wall as far as where the talent level has fallen too & new it was not at Ky. standards & he knew the NIT Tourny loomed on the horizon & decided to look for a new start some where where the expectations were not as demanding as Ky. what do you guys think?

Just wake up from a three year coma?

This has been about re-hashed to death. But what i find odd is the ax-grinding on Tubby's offensive coaching style - the same one that won UK a national championship.

Tubby is a great coach, period. A classy guy who makes his players better: better basketball players, better men, better students. He's made the U of MN a better program, and gets more out of the talent than any coach i can remember (including Clem).

Just wake up from a three year coma?

This has been about re-hashed to death. But what i find odd is the ax-grinding on Tubby's offensive coaching style - the same one that won UK a national championship.

Tubby is a great coach, period. A classy guy who makes his players better: better basketball players, better men, better students. He's made the U of MN a better program, and gets more out of the talent than any coach i can remember (including Clem).

+1

Another UK moron pretending to be a Gopher fan. Hmm. Article is total piece of BS crap.

Tubby put 3 players from Tulsa, 2 players from Georgia, and 16 players from UK either into the NBA or getting drafted (over 15+ years).

Tubby averaged 26 W and 8 L at UK. Joe Hall averaged 8 L at UK. Eddie Sutton averaged 10 L. Billy Gillispie averaged 13 L there. What's different about the latter 3 from Tubby?

Pretty obvious to me.

More Facts For The Faux Gopher Fan

Tubby signed the #1 class in 2004 and Top 15 class in 2006. His recruiting was not worse every year. He generally signed MOST of his recruits in the fall, not spring.

Rick Pitino signed Ron Mercer, Wayne Turner, Nazr Mohammed (all 1995), Jamaal Magloire and Heshimu Evans (both 1996), and Michael Bradley (1997) ALL in the spring.

UK fans didn't seem to mind. Why is that?

Pretty obvious to me.

I think you're a hillbilly from the mountains of KY. Your grammar and spelling are pathetic. I think you're a racist, too. But that is harder to prove, factually.

Can anybody tell me if I am able to sue this guy for stealing my handle?

Hey Go for Gold, at least come out and admit you're a UK fan, not a gopher fan. You can post as much drivel over here as you want from CatsPause, but don't pretend you're a Gopher fan.

As to Joe Crawford, the guy matured. He came in and quit the team before the end of his first semester. He felt that the world revolved around him and Tubby wasn't going to take it from him or any player. Joe grew as a man and matured, and his attitude vastly improved, which equaled more playing time. Trying to pin all the blame on Tubby is pretty lame. Joe was a sulker a not a team player and everyone at UK knew that.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Players/Crawford_Joe.html His stats (overall) were pretty similar Jr and Sr year. His team results (W-L) got worse Sr year. 18-13 was his worst at UK.

This thread is like the same one that pops up every so often, same ol same ol Tubby hate, yaaaawwwwnnnn.

I don't know how his teams played at Kentucky but at Minnesota his teams have played hard all the time, they play excellent defense, I cannot say the same thing about the offense. If someone could explain to me what they are trying to do I would appreciate it, it has completely bypassed me.

I don't know how his teams played at Kentucky but at Minnesota his teams have played hard all the time, they play excellent defense, I cannot say the same thing about the offense. If someone could explain to me what they are trying to do I would appreciate it, it has completely bypassed me.

Tubby's Gopher teams create offense from their defense. He LIKES to fast break but you must be a good rebounding team to do that. His Gopher teams haven't been (yet).

The Gophers were 2nd in offense among Big 10 teams behind Mich St in 2010 with 72 ppg.

A few words from me who followed Uk basketball for many years. Tubby recruited the # 1 class in the country that ended up to be a bust. Rondo was A-hole. Morris cared more about his body than the team. And then it was Joe: one of the laziest players that has ever played basketball. He should have never come back after his 1st year. Bradly was the only good player in that class in my opinion. He did well both under Tubby and BCG.

As for you, we have done this for 3 years now. Stop the hate. It is not healthy.

Go Gophers

TO FRIEND OF TUBBY

I think you're a hillbilly from the mountains of KY. Your grammar and spelling are pathetic. I think you're a racist, too. But that is harder to prove, factually.

Why is it every time someone writes something here that may question Tubby's coaching or recruiting you have to label them a hillbilly from KY. or a RACIST???? Who says I'm a KY. fan I just happen to find an interesting article about one of Tubby's former players. If this had been on a UNC or DUKE site would that mean I was a fan of there's??? Am I not allowed to look @ other sites with out being labeled a RACIST or HILLBILLY you DUMB JACKA$$ maybe your'e the RACIST HILLBILLY you pompous fuch. I am a fan of MINN. BUT not of YOU. You really have your head buried in the sand if you can't look at something objectionably, Tubby or any coach for that matter is not perfect they all have imperfections.All I was trying to point out is I found it ironic that Crawford thought Gillespie(sp) was more help to him than Tubby after all the things I've read about him. So friend of Tubby you can climb off your high horse & kiss my WHITE RACIST A$$!!

Why is it every time someone writes something here that may question Tubby's coaching or recruiting you have to label them a hillbilly from KY. or a RACIST???? Who says I'm a KY. fan I just happen to find an interesting article about one of Tubby's former players. If this had been on a UNC or DUKE site would that mean I was a fan of there's??? Am I not allowed to look @ other sites with out being labeled a RACIST or HILLBILLY you DUMB JACKA$$ maybe your'e the RACIST HILLBILLY you pompous fuch. I am a fan of MINN. BUT not of YOU. You really have your head buried in the sand if you can't look at something objectionably, Tubby or any coach for that matter is not perfect they all have imperfections.All I was trying to point out is I found it ironic that Crawford thought Gillespie(sp) was more help to him than Tubby after all the things I've read about him. So friend of Tubby you can climb off your high horse & kiss my WHITE RACIST A$$!!

What do you call a Kentuckian with 4 teeth?

Siamese twins.

I have been in Louisville all week and around a lot of die hard Kentucky fans. When the subject of Tubby came up they told me that they were extremely surprised and disappointed that he left. I sure did not get a feeling from them that what they have is an upgrade now.

First, I'll say I admire Joe Crawford for what he did on the basketball court under Gillispie. He played nearly 40 minutes every game - game after game all season and so did Ramel Bradley. Practices were held before or after games. As a fan - it was hard to watch, knowing how hard those players were pushed (punished?). So if you take Joe's remarks without knowing the facts, I would admit he got more exposure playing for Gillispie than he would have under Tubby. Tubby doesn't abuse his players.

First, I'll say I admire Joe Crawford for what he did on the basketball court under Gillispie. He played nearly 40 minutes every game - game after game all season and so did Ramel Bradley. Practices were held before or after games. As a fan - it was hard to watch, knowing how hard those players were pushed (punished?). So if you take Joe's remarks without knowing the facts, I would admit he got more exposure playing for Gillispie than he would have under Tubby. Tubby doesn't abuse his players.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Players/Crawford_Joe.html Crawford played 32.2 mins per game under Tubby in 2007 and 33.6 mins per game under Gillispie in 2008. Pretty similar.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Players/Bradley_Ramel.html Bradley 32.6 mpg in 2007 and 35 mpg under Gillispie in 2008. Not that much different, either.

Both players had similar (not identical) output (ppg, etc) in 2007 and 2008. Both produced good results for Tubby AND Gillispie. But Tubby produced better W-L results than Gillispie did at UK.

Incorrect. The correct answer is FOT.

:clap::clap::clap:

I have all my teeth except 4 wisdom teeth removed in late 1970's. A few have crowns though.

I went to HS in Ohio and college in Indiana. Full set of teeth were required in both cases.

I have all my teeth except 4 wisdom teeth removed in late 1970's. A few have crowns though.

I went to HS in Ohio and college in Indiana. Full set of teeth were required in both cases.

You should not be commenting on anyone's dental hygiene.

FOT

FOT, my issue with you is your incessant quick-draw use of the word "racist" because someone questions Tubby in some way. There is in nearly all cases no reason to do so. You have scads of data and minutia to make your pro-Tubby arguments, most of which I entirely agree with.

I disagree with this original post but decline to assume the person is either a racist or from hillbilly ancestry.

Your arguments stand more firmly when not sharing the stage with accusations of racism.

IMHO.

I lost a tooth playing touch football in grade school and have a bridge. I went to HS in Minnesota and college in Minnesota. I do not believe there are any dental standards in MN to meet to do either.

FOT, my issue with you is your incessant quick-draw use of the word "racist" because someone questions Tubby in some way. There is in nearly all cases no reason to do so. You have scads of data and minutia to make your pro-Tubby arguments, most of which I entirely agree with.

I disagree with this original post but decline to assume the person is either a racist or from hillbilly ancestry.

Your arguments stand more firmly when not sharing the stage with accusations of racism.

IMHO.

I lost a tooth playing touch football in grade school and have a bridge. I went to HS in Minnesota and college in Minnesota. I do not believe there are any dental standards in MN to meet to do either.

Here's how I can tell. I've read and replied to their crap for 10 years. Their "talking points" are almost word-4-word, the same BS.

Reasonable people can make valid criticisms of Tubby or any other coach. I do that myself.

But I can recognize the Katman 2000 (et al) racist arguments.

If the poster had said, 1 of Tubby's 21 NBA draft picks and/or NBA players says he wouldn't have made it if Tubby coached him as a senior, fine. But that's NOT what he/she inferred. Instead it was presented that Crawford was yet another among many who only made the NBA because Tubby left UK.

That's the K2K (BS) mantra.

it is pretty clear to me that the original poster of this thread hasn't done his homework on Tubby one iota. He/she is clearly trying to prove an argument that Tubby isn't a good developer of skills. The poster had or still has no idea what kind of person Crawford was when he started his career at UK. Please go-for-gold, do your homework before you make off-based comments and opinions again. Until then, please refrain from your unintelligible posts.

Thank you

Here's how I can tell. I've read and replied to their crap for 10 years. Their "talking points" are almost word-4-word, the same BS.

Reasonable people can make valid criticisms of Tubby or any other coach. I do that myself.

But I can recognize the Katman 2000 (et al) racist arguments.

If the poster had said, 1 of Tubby's 21 NBA draft picks and/or NBA players says he wouldn't have made it if Tubby coached him as a senior, fine. But that's NOT what he/she inferred. Instead it was presented that Crawford was yet another among many who only made the NBA because Tubby left UK.

That's the K2K (BS) mantra.

This is seriously the most bizarre connection to racism. There is none, just ridiculous.

I totally disagree with the original post however I see no evidence or reason for the accusations of racism! What is racist about the post FOT?

It's racist because in FOT's world anyone from Kentucky who criticizes Tubby must be a racist. There can be no other explanation (tongue in cheek).

And yes, the guy that started this thread clearly is a goofball just trying to stir the pot.

This is seriously the most bizarre connection to racism. There is none, just ridiculous.

As I said, I can promptly recognize the Katman 2000 talking points, nearly word-4-word.

If you don't think K2K is racist, then you don't know the reference. Without doubt, he is.

Top Bottom