Marcus: Contract talks back on with Tubby Smith

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Contract extension talks between basketball coach Tubby Smith's attorney and University of Minnesota lawyers have started up again, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said today.

"It's my understanding that the lawyers are talking," Maturi told the Pioneer Press. "It's been on and off certainly for some time."

Smith, who left Kentucky for Minnesota in 2007, has four years left on a seven-year deal with the Gophers that pays him $1.8 million annually.

Amid reports and speculation that other schools sought him, mainly Oregon, in the spring, Maturi and Minnesota president Bob Bruininks were eager to extend Smith's contract then. Nothing was finalized.

"Tubby and I really haven't spoken (recently), but he knows I want him here," Maturi said today. "I would love to give him an extension that is agreeable to him and obviously acceptable to us. I'm still hopeful that can happen."

The Gophers will travel to Canada next month for three exhibition games in British Columbia.

Maturi hopes Smith can sign an extension by the early basketball signing period, which starts Nov. 10, but said there was no real timetable.

"If we can do something that's amenable in the next several weeks, several months, that's great," he said. "But I'm not panicking. Signing day is in November. Whoever signs knows that (Smith) has four years left. So I don't think there's an issue there at all."

Smith refuted a Pioneer Press report in late March that Oregon offered him its coaching position. The Ducks, who hired former Creighton coach Dana Altman, had more resources with a new $200 million arena and the backing of Nike founder Phil Knight to offer a bigger salary.

Last month in a Pioneer Press interview, Smith didn't say specifically that his representatives looked into the Oregon job, but did say they are always open to considering different opportunities for him.

"If they're going to pay you more money and they're going to do more for you, then you're going to have to weigh it," Smith said. "That's the way life is. That's the way jobs are, too.

"But I'm very happy here. I'm comfortable here. I've got four more years on my contract. (Other schools showing interest) is flattering, but it also can be distracting."

Smith stressed a practice facility was needed when he was hired three years ago. Maturi said no money has been accepted for a proposed $20 million facility yet, but the athletic department is visiting donors to gauge interest in the project.

"It has to be money that's fully raised," Maturi said. "We have some preliminary drawings that we've looked at. We've made that step. I think it's going in the right direction. We need to get more specific in regards to the (cost). If we could have a building built in two years, I would be a happy camper. And, I think, so would Coach."

MATURI'S FUTURE: Maturi, who has two years left on his contract, also is considering whether to accept a two-year extension that he and Bruininks discussed recently. Bruininks is retiring in 2011, but doesn't want the new president to have to hire a new athletics director right away, Maturi said.

Even if Maturi does sign an extension, he can't guarantee he'll work all the way through it. Maturi knew what he had in Bruininks and doesn't know if he'll have the same support in a new president.

"I don't expect the next president to be as athletically knowledgeable as president Bruininks," he said. "Certainly, stability would be healthy, and I'm willing to consider that.

"I'm hopeful that we have an individual that also believes in the role of intercollegiate athletics in the total picture of the campus. In this stage of my life, I would certainly want the journey to be enjoyable. I'm assuming the next president would want the same."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_15890477?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Even Maturi sees the writing on the wall. He knows he pretty sucks and expects the new president will quickly find out about him.

I'm much more concerned about who the U's next president will be than the next AD. Prexy B (as the Wrenmaster likes to call him) by most accounts is a "sports" kind of guy. He understands their importance to a major university. If the next guy is an egghead like Kenneth Keller, look out.

I'm much more concerned about who the U's next president will be than the next AD. Prexy B (as the Wrenmaster likes to call him) by most accounts is a "sports" kind of guy. He understands their importance to a major university. If the next guy is an egghead like Kenneth Keller, look out.[/QUOTE]

That is a scary thought

They have to lock him up

In 2011-2012 they are coming out with their premium seating plan. That ONLY works if the program is looking solid and there is fan excitement. Otherwise they could lose a lot of season ticket holders during the changeover. To be successful with that they need to lock in with Tubby.

is it normal for an ad to not talk recently with the top coach in his program and then to admit it in public? does alvarez not talk to bret biliema recently and then tell the madison papers? has kentucky's AD and Calipari not talked recently? what about bill self and the ku ad? What is the norm?

Top Bottom