Trevor's goal: lead the Big Ten in rebounding and blocked shots

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Mbakwe practices with Gophers basketball team prior to Canada tour
By Marcus R. Fuller

Gophers junior forward Trevor Mbakwe practiced for the first time today since he was reinstated to the basketball program this month.

University of Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi lifted Mbakwe's suspension Aug. 12 after Mbakwe agreed to a pretrial intervention program that, on completion, will result in felony assault charges against him in Miami being dropped. Mbakwe was suspended for the 2009-10 season pending the outcome of the case.

"It wasn't the same since I had this charge lingering over my head for the last 16 months," Mbakwe said today after practice. "I'm glad it's over with, and I'm glad I'm able to move on with my life and play basketball."

The 6-foot-8, 240-pound St. Paul native is eligible to begin practicing with the Gophers for their tour of Canada. They are scheduled to leave Minnesota on Aug. 31 and play exhibition games on Sept. 2-3 and Sept. 5 in British Columbia.

Mbakwe said some of his goals this season are to lead the Big Ten in rebounding and blocked shots, while also helping Minnesota compete for a conference title. He brings a physical inside presence that coach Tubby Smith hasn't had the last three seasons with the Gophers.

"Let's just say if we had a rebounding post player presence like he is, we would have won a lot more games last year," Smith said. "Hopefully, that will translate to us being a better team."

After today's practice, Smith also addressed the injury of junior guard Devoe Joseph, who suffered a torn quadriceps muscle while playing with the Canadian national team this summer. Joseph practiced, but his status for the Canada tour is still uncertain.

"That tear happened a few weeks ago, and he's been on the mend and getting treatment," Smith said. "If he's OK, then we expect him to play."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_15868314

Go Gophers!!

Can't wait to cheer for this guy at Tubby's Tipoff!!!

It may be more of a challenge to lead the TEAM in blocks than the Big10. If we can get solid, hard-working defense out of our twos and threes, we will be very tough to score on with our size/depth down low and Nolan at the point.

Does anyone remember the last time the Gophers had a player lead the Big 10 in rebounding? It seems like a very long time.

Does anyone remember the last time the Gophers had a player lead the Big 10 in rebounding? It seems like a very long time.

I believe The Hump did it his one stats-filled-but-no-wins/assists-season at The U. I believe he is the only freshman in BT history to lead the conference in both points and rebounds. I don't think he made the top ten list for assists though.

Go Gophers!!

Didn't Hump lead the Big Ten in scoring and rebounding in 2003-04? He averaged a double-double.

Top Bottom