Malcolm Brogdon has committed to Virginia

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per a tweet from Ryan James.

Go Gophers!!

wow 0 and 2 vs virginia, what do they have that we dont? just curious, obivously a good school but basketball wise....idk

Didn't they land Jespersen as well? They are having a fairly solid 2011 class so far.

Gophers big 2 ought to be Coleman and Tharpe. If one of those commits elsewhere, then the Jesperson, Brogdon type non-commits will mean more. IMO.

wow 0 and 2 vs virginia, what do they have that we dont? just curious, obivously a good school but basketball wise....idk

Jesperson largely chose Virginia due to relationships with people affiliated with the school. Not sure about Brogdon, but practice facility maybe? Weather? conference? all factors that can go into a recruits decision

Im really starting not to like virginia basketball, i need to feed my inner fan for a certain november night. hopefully we can stick it to them bigtime

With Brogdon out of the picture, leaves us with Ackerman, Coleman, Hollins, McDonald, Oglesby, Tharpe and Thomas as targets. For the recruiting wonks out there, do you expect any of these guys to give a verbal commitment soon?

Pat Ackerman and Trey McDonald. One's from Michigan, the other's from Massachusetts. Not sure which is which.

Virginia is an ACC school with tremendous facilities, great academics, gorgeous campus, and a terrific young basketball coach.

I think Bennett will do very VERY well there.

Plenty of possibilities.

Tharpe is planning on coming for the USC weekend (Oglesby as well)... help us out, Brewster.

The plan B's are dropping like flies. We've got to land 2 out of 3 of Coleman, Tharpe, and Ogelsby.

Bennett ball is painfully boring to watch.

Oh Oh So it looks like Brogdon won't be joining the other five shooting gaurds (not counting Devoe) that we have on the roster for next year.

ahanmisi and armelin i think do affect our standing with oglesby hollins and brogdon. they better be worth it

ahanmisi and armelin i think do affect our standing with oglesby hollins and brogdon. they better be worth it

Look at most Div I college 13-man rosters. You'll see (typically) 4 F, 3 C, and 6 G.

Next year, Gophers have Joseph, Hollins, Ahanmisi, and Armelin WITH 2 OPENINGS at G.

Most any college that Oglesby, Hollins (et al) choose to attend will have 5 or 6 G on the roster.

per a tweet from Ryan James.

Go Gophers!!

(Clipped from Hoopmasters)

“He liked everything he saw and thought it was a good fit for him,” GAC coach Eddie Martin told the Journal Constitution. “They are a very good academic school, they are in the ACC and they have a very good young coach in Tony Bennett. He kind of wanted to commit on the spot but his mother said ‘No, we're not going to make an emotional decision." They waited one day, slept on it, then Malcolm chose ...

To be honest, when I have talked to the Gopher coaches, Malcolm Brogdon's name never came up, so I don't see this as a big loss.

Virginia will likely become more of a player for Midwest coaches with Bennett being from Wisconsin and the new facilities at Virginia.

I feel that if the Gophers can land a combination of Coleman, Tharpe, Hollins, Thomas and Oglesby, I'd be happy.

Chris Monter

IMO, I will take Coleman and Tharpe over the two we've lost to Virginia.

Agreed - At least Tharpe is a PG and a 4 star at that. W/ walkons and counting Devoe as a PG, we will have 1 -PG and 5 -SG next year.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I can't stand all the talk about practice facilities...I just can't understand why they make that much of a difference for recruits

thats what i would think, but it always seems to come up when football commits talk about the U. they always talk about the new stadium and wonderful practice facility

Since it looks like Virginia will be improving in the next few years, we'll probably stop playing them in the BT/ACC Challenge in order to play a lesser opponent.

Virginia is an ACC school with tremendous facilities, great academics, gorgeous campus, and a terrific young basketball coach.

I think Bennett will do very VERY well there.

All true. But the academics are more curse then blessing and he has to deal with an unbelievably apathetic fan base. I doubt the tremendous new arena will be half-full for anyone not named Duke, UNC or Maryland. Hopefully he can change it in time.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I can't stand all the talk about practice facilities...I just can't understand why they make that much of a difference for recruits

Practice facilities can be available to players 24/7 while often times the actual arena (ex Williams Arena for the Gophers) is not. This means that kids can work on their games regardless of if there class schedules interfere with the availability of a particular gym. Further, most (if not all) of these practice facilities contain some sort of players lounge complete with TV's, nice couches, games, etc. Most coaches want their players to want to be at the practice facility, so there are generally a lot of amenities that make them a very comfortable place to be.

A practice facility appeals to the driven kid because he always has a place to work on his game. A practice facility appeals to the talented kid, but not so driven kid because he's got a cool place to hang out that has some exclusivity to it.

Coaches appreciate the facility because it allows them to always have a set time and place for practice/individual workouts and it provides a place of entertainment for their kids where they are far less likely to get in trouble.

It is especially important for Minnesota to have a "WOW" practice facility as long as they play at Williams Arena. Many recruits don't appreciate nostalgia and simply view a place like Williams as old. Further, it has been mentioned many times on the board that an empty Williams Arena is not exactly an impressive site, even if one does appreciate nostalgia/tradition. Having a bright shiny practice facility provides another place to take a recruit.

Neither of you guys got that I guess. I was saying that since we always get paired with crappy opponents in the challenge, we may not be facing Virginia for too many more years. I know we don't have a choice.

and we wont be improving? if anything we'll be better than virginia

The teams don't choose their opponents in Big 10 Challenge.

Top Bottom