Myron's Q and A with Tubby

Reserve

Reaction score
For Tubby Smith, the early start to the 2010-11 season feels like a fresh one.

Few coaches endured the amount of drama that beset him and his program last year. His father passed away in October. Legal problems sidelined two of his top recruits. His starting point guard was academically ineligible for the bulk of the Big Ten season.

Players transferred. Star prospect Cory Joseph signed with Texas. And in May, a jury granted former Gophers assistant Jimmy Williams $1.25 million and ruled that Smith negligently misrepresented his authority when he offered him a job in 2007.

In June, Smith went to Africa with his wife and family friends, who have adopted a village in Kenya and Tanzania. His wife makes the trip every year, but Smith never had the time to join her in past years due to all of the summer recruiting demands.

He called his journey life-changing during a recent interview with the Star Tribune. He also answered questions about the upcoming season.

The questions and rest of the interview

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/52614957.html

Not much of a Q and A. Not much there -- if anything -- we didn't already know.

After the way Devoe Joseph, Ralph Sampson III and Colton Iverson stepped up down the stretch for the Gophers, what kind of production do you anticipate from the trio this season?

"I’m high on those three guys and even Rodney [Williams]. He's the key. Devoe really stretches the defense. Al [Nolen] is back eligible now. I expect him to be in the mix [at point guard] also. But we need to get bigger.

"Right now, [I'd start] Ralph, Colton, Devoe, Blake [Hoffarber] and probably, Rodney. We had issues with [size] all the time."

Interesting starting lineup. No Nolen or Mbakwe.

I believe this interview was conducted in June and therefore, Tubby probably didn't include Trevor in the line-up due to his status at that time.

I'd be shocked if Trevor didn't start.

Go Gophers!!

Based on last year, I seriously doubt Tubby is going to give Nolen the reins from Day 1. He probably feels that he needs to earn his spot back, not only with Tubby but with the team as well, considering that he let them down as well.

Interesting on Mbakwe, but I assume it's a similar situation. The other 2 posts have a couple of years under their belt of our offense, defense, timing, etc. He'll probably expect Trevor to get the lay of the land on the court in real game scenarios before starting him in front of either of the 2 posts who have put in their time.

Based on last year, I seriously doubt Tubby is going to give Nolen the reins from Day 1. He probably feels that he needs to earn his spot back, not only with Tubby but with the team as well, considering that he let them down as well.

Interesting on Mbakwe, but I assume it's a similar situation. The other 2 posts have a couple of years under their belt of our offense, defense, timing, etc. He'll probably expect Trevor to get the lay of the land on the court in real game scenarios before starting him in front of either of the 2 posts who have put in their time.

In 2002 Cliff Hawkins was starting PG at UK. He became academically ineligible for the 1st semester of 2003 season.

UK moved SG Gerald Fitch to PG - when Hawkins returned (2nd semester), he was first G off the bench but did not reclaim his starting position until 2004 season.

Not much of a Q and A. Not much there -- if anything -- we didn't already know.

As you prepare for the 2010-11 season, what are your expectations for your freshman class?

"I’m really impressed … just watching them work out now. They’re kids, you know, who are going to come in and do the right thing."

What's Oto Osenieks' status?

"He hasn’t made it in yet because of the NCAA Clearinghouse. It’s going to be awhile. They had enough for him to be on scholarship … but they still have questions."

I agree, you can't claim 2 starters that were ineligible last year. They will be first off the bench I'm sure.

In 2002 Cliff Hawkins was starting PG at UK. He became academically ineligible for the 1st semester of 2003 season.

UK moved SG Gerald Fitch to PG - when Hawkins returned (2nd semester), he was first G off the bench but did not reclaim his starting position until 2004 season.

Thanks FOT for bringing back memories of Cliff and Gerald. They were so much fun to watch. I hope that Devoe and Al do the same things as those two did for UK for us.

Go Gophers

It's more important who finishes rather than who starts a game, but I'll be at least mildly surprised if the Gophers' starting lineup (minus injuries or suspensions) for the Big Ten opener isn't:

Joseph
Nolen
1 of Iverson/Sampson
Mbakwe
Williams

Blake does a lot of good stuff, he's more than just a three-point shooter, but I think Tubby will get him to buy in as the Gophers' 6th-man extraordinaire. He'll play a ton of minutes, that's not going to change.

but I think Tubby will get him to buy in as the Gophers' 6th-man extraordinaire. He'll play a ton of minutes, that's not going to change.
Got to disagree there.

Hoffarber led the team in minutes last year by a good margin. Not only that, but once he hit the starting lineup his entire game changed for the better. For shooters, the starting lineup can be a psychological thing. Instead of coming off the bench cold, missing your first shot or two then sitting down again, you get in the flow of the game from the outset.

Throw in that he'll probably be a senior captain with the most minutes played as a Gopher of anyone on the team (experience), I think the chance that Tubby doesn't start him is about 0%.

If we start Nolen, Joseph, and Williams on the wings, we really don't have a threat from the outside, as both Nolen and Williams haven't shown the ability to hit anything from outside, and Joseph is only like a 37% career shooter from deep.

You make good points.

Bottom line is I like our top 7 guys. Experienced, more versatility, go big, go small, etc. We need one or two of the freshmen to chip in with some decent minutes. I'm counting most on Hollins to contribute.

For anyone else, based on Tubby's history, do you see him starting either Nolen, Mbawke, or Williams, based on where they were last year?

With Nolen, he hasn't played for like 6 months, Mbawke has never played in our system on the floor, and Williams was anything but rock-solid on the court last year. I just think it's a leap to think they'd start from the outset, especially since Tubby seems to be relatively averse to gambling with unknown quantities in the starting lineup unless he absolutely has to?

I think Trevor may end up being our most important player, and think that Williams has a chance to very good, but I think Tubby will want them to prove it first, instead of just handing them the reins from Day 1. I guess we'll see :)

"I just think it's a leap to think they'd start from the outset. ..."

Just for clarity, that's why I indicated a lineup for the start of the Big Ten season, not the start of the regular season. I don't think Tubby's likely to make the changes immediately.

You make good points.

Bottom line is I like our top 7 guys. Experienced, more versatility, go big, go small, etc. We need one or two of the freshmen to chip in with some decent minutes. I'm counting most on Hollins to contribute.

I really like the top 7 too. I think Hollins will spell the guards and Dawson or Walker at the 4, we need a big body to give a few fouls. Outside of that, Joseph is going to get a lot of minutes, his health is the #1 question going into the season for me.

For anyone else, based on Tubby's history, do you see him starting either Nolen, Mbawke, or Williams, based on where they were last year?

With Nolen, he hasn't played for like 6 months, Mbawke has never played in our system on the floor, and Williams was anything but rock-solid on the court last year. I just think it's a leap to think they'd start from the outset, especially since Tubby seems to be relatively averse to gambling with unknown quantities in the starting lineup unless he absolutely has to?

I think Trevor may end up being our most important player, and think that Williams has a chance to very good, but I think Tubby will want them to prove it first, instead of just handing them the reins from Day 1. I guess we'll see :)

Tubby started Jeff Sheppard in 1998 after he redshirted during 1997 season.

He did NOT start Cliff Hawkins (who had started previously) when he returned to academic eligibility.

Jules Camara sat out 2001 season like Trevor. He never started (regularly) in his UK career.

I don't think Tubby wil start 2 C and 3 G this year.

I agree, you can't claim 2 starters that were ineligible last year. They will be first off the bench I'm sure.

I agree also. I had the starting five at the beginning of the season right. Maybe I just got lucky but I had some philosophy to my choices that I haven't seen stated here and I thought that I'de share that thinking with you.

Not that I think he necessisarily needs to, but it's a matter of Tubby reinforcing his values, discpline and authority by sending a message to the squad that includes: 'We have a system. You need to fit in to it. I have requested a style of play and level of effort. You earn your playing time by the way you contribute when given a chance, mainly in competition. No matter how much potential you may be percieved to possess - you don't have all the answers and and you need to fit into what we do - not get us to change to facilitate your desires.'

Does anyone have a report or info about Mo Walker? Not that there's anything to report mind you but where is this kid? Nary a word about him in practice or over the summer. Does he exist or is he a 6'10" 300 lb figment of our imagination?

For those who do not want to go to twitter to read the comments about practice here are some more, although they have been updating often it seems so it might be worth it to keep updating there.

Myron

... Devoe practicing. Good sign. Don't think he'll play though.

Colton Iverson in good shape. Lost weight. Looks lean. Austin Hollins grew an inch or two. Like his length.

Tubby Smith says Devoe Joseph may play during trip to Canada.

Trevor Mbakwe on playing first organized game since 2009. "Hopefully I remember the rules."

Marcus

Devoe Joseph practiced today, but his status is uncertain for Canada trip. He said he had a torn muscle in his thigh.

Recruit Oto Osenieks is still not eligible to play. Tubby Smith said he hoped Oto would be able to join team next month.

It was nice to see the four freshman. Elliott Eliason looks 7-feet tall. Austin Hollins seems at least 6-5 or taller. Mo Walker is a load.

Ralph Samoson III is bigger. He said he is now 260 pounds at 6-11. That should help him be more physical. But mentality is everything

Does anyone have a report or info about Mo Walker? Not that there's anything to report mind you but where is this kid? Nary a word about him in practice or over the summer. Does he exist or is he a 6'10" 300 lb figment of our imagination?

Listed on Gophers 2011 roster and profiled in Summer 2010 prospectus.

Ralph has a world of potential. I hope he isn't afraid to use every single one of those 260 lbs. next season, especially close to the basket. ... especially during Big Ten play.

That is interesting news about Hollins. I would add that after watching him play this summer his length and quickness are deceiving. He needs to gain strength, but he should be a strong contributor during the next four years.

Ralph has a world of potential. I hope he isn't afraid to use every single one of those 260 lbs. next season, especially close to the basket. ... especially during Big Ten play.

I think he just needs to move away from the 2 right handed dribble baby hook into the lane as his first and only post move. He needs to play with more of a chip on his shoulder and initiate some contact. Lots of potential though.

Austin Hollins at 6'5" or taller is great to hear. Hopefully they really get him on a good strength and conditioning program, he could create some great mismatches at SG in a couple years.

ralph 260? that means he gained 19 lbs from last year, is he now the same size, or dare i say, and it gives me shivers, bigger than Colt? hes going to be a monster this year

So. From what I've been able to pick-up from Tubby's interview, tweets, and bits and pieces of posts: Oto is expected to be enrolled and on scholly this year.

I'm not certian whether or not he can practice with the team until the NCAA clears him but, if he can he will start practicing but not playing with the team (eg. Trevor last year). Prolly not until after they return from Canada.

It is expected that he will receive NCAA clearance this year and then take his place in the freshman class.

His is the 13th scholly and, absent other than normal atrition (Nolan & Hoff exhausting their 4 year eligibilty) we would have two schollys for the 2011 class and 4 for 2012.

Our depth chart (including walkons) by position looks like this.

Season 10-11 11-12 12-13 13-14
PG----------2------1-------0------0
SG----------6------5-------5------4
SF----------2------3-------3------2
PF----------3------3-------2------1
C------------3------3-------1------0

That is if Devoe is a true PG. Unless Hollins, Ahanmisi, Armelin, Allen or Stark is a latent PG we're starting a combo after next year. Young or Tharpe or Boatright or Barron look like an important get for the 2011 class. Also, depth at the 5 spot is looming as a need.

Your depth chart doesn't quite look right...

Elliason and Walker are both clear-cut centers, so that's 3, 4, 2, 2

Mbakwe and Dawson are the only PFs, so that's 2, 2, 1, 1

Rodney is the only SF on the roster, but if you anticipate Oto will be cleared and play here, I'll list that as 2, 2, 2, 1

SG/PG gets murky as we have a lot of combos and a lot of them aren't expected to do much. I don't anticipate any real contributions from Armelin, Stark, or Ahanmisi. Nolen and Blake are seniors, Devoe a Junior, Hollins a Freshman.

So I'll list SG as 2.5, 1.5, 1, 1
And PG as 1.5, .5, 0, 0

Devoe is the .5 PG/SG, the others are clear-cut.

Plus a lot of filler that may or may or may not retain its scholarship. Hopefully I'm wrong about our diamonds in the rough, but I don't expect any meaningful contribution from them any time soon.

Top Bottom