Pioneer Press on Gophers 8/22

"If this team goes 6-6 the boosters will be dancing in the streets."

Really?

Tom Powers is an idiot.

"If this team goes 6-6 the boosters will be dancing in the streets."

Really?

Tom Powers is an idiot.

If there's an idiot, it's not Powers. It's called hyperbole. Columnists use the technique a lot.

He then says, "Seriously, 6-6 would feel incredibly good considering all the negative preseason publicity." That sort of sums up the gist of the article. He praised several freshmen; admired Brewster's approach; and pretty much said this team was being misjudged by the national media. If you really follow the team, there's not a whole lot to argue about what he says. Powers will make the smart ass comment about the Gophers and they usually deserve it, but he also gives them praise and credit when it's due.

Maybe faint praise, but I at least read and often enjoy his columns unlike his competition across the river, Souhan's columns which I usually can't get beyond the opening.

I'm with Powers

Powers is right about one thing: It's as though Brewster is keeping a secret. Brewster is the guy at the poker table who is laying in the weeds. He might have a really great hand, but he wants you to think he doesn't.

Is that a sad statement about the condition of the local media or what?

I actually think Powers is one of the best columnists in town.

Sort of like being the prettiest co-ed at Iowa. You're cute and all, but you're still at Iowa.

If that is the prettiest co-ed...

The suicide rate must be astronomical! Seriously, drunk, arrested, embarrassed, and divorced...How did she not win Miss Iowa?

Being the best sports columnist in this town is like being the tastiest cheeseburger in last weeks trash bag.

In recent Big Ten history the fourth year was the magical year for Big Ten coaches. I THINK Barnett, Alveraz, Tiller, Frentz, and Turner all had their break out years in year four. I don't think we'll be very good this year but Brewster might suprise us all.

Maybe faint praise, but I at least read and often enjoy his columns unlike his competition across the river, Souhan's columns which I usually can't get beyond the opening.

The other day Souhan was ripping Brewster for the way he has handled Gray. Comments about how highly touted Gray was and that Brewster has gotten nothing out of him. He forgot the small detail of Gray not playing in a game for over two years with an injury in HS and academics to start off at the U.

I don't mind much of the sarcasm as I find it funny, but when they try to be serious and then make stupid evaluations it is disappointing.

In recent Big Ten history the fourth year was the magical year for Big Ten coaches. I THINK Barnett, Alveraz, Tiller, Frentz, and Turner all had their break out years in year four. I don't think we'll be very good this year but Brewster might suprise us all.

Yet minutes before posting the above, you posted:

I think Weber will have a stellar year. I also think his recievers are going to be a lot better than people think they will be. Mcknight, Green, Stoud., Gray and Allen might turn out to be one of the better recieving units in the Big Ten. Plus the O-line should be vastly inproved. I'm still not sold on the running backs. I think Weber will be in the top 3 quarterbacks in the Big Ten. He'll have a stellar year.

Weber's going to have a stellar year, but you don't think that the Gophers will be very good?

Honestly, I would take 6-6 and expect the big jump to 8+ wins next year. The schedule is tough and some of the non-conference games are difficult enough to lose as well. I'm excited for the season because it is really an unknown. 6-6 wouldn't have me dancing in the streets, but I wouldn't feel bad about it either.

I'm excited for the season because it is really an unknown. 6-6 wouldn't have me dancing in the streets, but I wouldn't feel bad about it either.

I feel the same way. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll manage at least 3 conference wins this year.

Top Bottom