Howard Griffith on KFAN

Justin Gaard

Reaction score
The Big 10 Network analyst joined me on Sunday Sermons this morning, I thought he was very good. First half of interview was on the Gophers, then expanded to Big 10 in general...here's the link to the podcast page if anybody is interested, it's the last 15 minutes or so of the podcast.

http://tinyurl.com/29bpquv

JG on the hole ... by choice, or upper-management (the same folks who scoffed at Gophers coverage previously) encourage it? Either way, I know what your passion is for college football. It's high. Now go book Jerry Crasnick, Colin Covert, and Norm Parker, and step on it :)

Hmmm, a definite maybe

I like college football and particularly the gophers.

Because of this, I would probably listen to him.

However, those are the same reasons why I wouold not listen to you.

JG on the hole ... by choice, or upper-management (the same folks who scoffed at Gophers coverage previously) encourage it? Either way, I know what your passion is for college football. It's high. Now go book Jerry Crasnick, Colin Covert, and Norm Parker, and step on it :)

I wonder how much longer it will be before Barreiro and Common Man are posting in the Hole? KFAN is obviously hearing footsteps. It must be a very bitter pill that they are having to swallow.

This was a quality piece. We've been asking for more quality coverage. We can be happy (albeit, with a suspicious eye given the fun they've had at the Gopher's expense) that another media source is attempting to provide said coverage. Or we can be dikcs and turn our nose up at it.

This was a quality piece. We've been asking for more quality coverage. We can be happy (albeit, with a suspicious eye given the fun they've had at the Gopher's expense) that another media source is attempting to provide said coverage. Or we can be dikcs and turn our nose up at it.

When you finally get the upper hand in a relationship where the other party has been the dick you have to make them grovel for awhile. Everyone knows that.

Despite having to take a huge amount of abuse during the last several years in GopherHole Doogie has never stopped posting here, and he has never failed to conduct himself with class. Now Doogie works for ESPN 1500 (KSTP) which is KFAN's only competition. I know where my support is going to go. KFAN has burned a lot of bridges with Gopher fans for many years. They are going to have to work a lot harder than they are currently doing to win many of them back.

Thanks JG I enjoy your work on the fan, keep it up, even if you lean Iowa ;)

My choice, Doogs. I've got more duties and roles at the station now. If I host a show, especially this time of year, there will be college football talk. I thought Griffith was good, thought people might be interested.

This will be my last post ever on a thread started by Justin Gaard...

JG, if you are reading this, know that I used to be a devout listener of the show, but I now rarely ever listen to it due to the approach you and Barreiro have taken towards the Gopher football program. I get that it's a little bit of a bit (it has to be because no two people who could be classified as radio industry professionals could possibly be so unprofessional, right?), but it has been beyond juvenile (spiteful/vengeful), to the point of ridiculous, and I can't for the life of me understand why. Can you help me understand?

The Gophers have been mediocre for forever - we get that. But even you, who Doogie claims in a post above to be a huge college football fan, clearly knows so little about the Gopher program, the recruits that are coming/have come in, the existing roster, and yet takes advantage of the platform afforded to you to again, voice ridiculous, vengeful comments against the program that to me, a fan of the program who truly follows it closely, have found to be so aggravating that I can't/won't listen to the show hardly anymore.

So, what are you supposed to do? How about doing a story such as the one the new beat writer for the Strib did the other day on Brandon Kirksey? Or the one Duanne Bennet yesterday? How about talking about how great the event held yesterday was for families?

Maybe you guys have changed your tune(?), and if so, I apologize - again, I wouldn't know because I pretty much quit listening the moment KSTP became part of ESPN.

Good luck on GH. I'm sure others will be more welcoming than I.

When you finally get the upper hand in a relationship where the other party has been the dick you have to make them grovel for awhile. Everyone knows that.

Despite having to take a huge amount of abuse during the last several years in GopherHole Doogie has never stopped posting here, and he has never failed to conduct himself with class. Now Doogie works for ESPN 1500 (KSTP) which is KFAN's only competition. I know where my support is going to go. KFAN has burned a lot of bridges with Gopher fans for many years. They are going to have to work a lot harder than they are currently doing to win many of them back.

Until or unless ESPN 1500 starts broadcasting Gopher coverage or commentary 24-hours a day, what's the problem with getting it from multiple sources? Will you not listen to KFAN when they have Horton, Cosgrove or a player on since they don't have your support?

I get that we're all a little butthurt with the tone KFAN has taken toward the program. But we've been carping about getting more quality coverage of the Gophers and now we're going to carp that one their biggest in-town detractors is changing its position to more consistently provide quality coverage? WTF does that accomplish?

128866362172045639.jpg

The Big 10 Network analyst joined me on Sunday Sermons this morning, I thought he was very good. First half of interview was on the Gophers, then expanded to Big 10 in general...here's the link to the podcast page if anybody is interested, it's the last 15 minutes or so of the podcast.

http://tinyurl.com/29bpquv

JG - During the podcast you asked for callers and no one ( well, one guy) called. That is because Gopher fans don't listen to KFAN because

1) KFAN pimps for the Vikings.

2) KFAN mocks and ridicules Gopher football.

3) KFAN mocks and ridicules Coach Brewster.

4) KFAN mocks and ridicules Gopher fans.

5) You are an Iowa fan. Gopher fans hate Iowa.

Here is a clue. If you love your wife or girlfriend you don't want to listen to guys mock and ridicule her. If you are a fan of a sports team you don't want to listen to guys who are totally ignorant of the program mock and ridicule that sports team. You don't want to hear guys running their mouth about teams you hate - if you wanted to hear about Iowa you would tune into that teams station. Speaking for myself it will take a while before I start listening to KFAN. The "talent" at KFAN hates the Gophers and the contempt shows all the time. Who needs it? I, and many others, don't.

Until or unless ESPN 1500 starts broadcasting Gopher coverage or commentary 24-hours a day, what's the problem with getting it from multiple sources? Will you not listen to KFAN when they have Horton, Cosgrove or a player on since they don't have your support?

I get that we're all a little butthurt with the tone KFAN has taken toward the program. But we've been carping about getting more quality coverage of the Gophers and now we're going to carp that one their biggest in-town detractors is changing its position to more consistently provide quality coverage? WTF does that accomplish?

KFAN will not have Horton, Cosgrove, or a player on. When they start getting them, I will start listening. As long as the program itself is not going to KFAN for coverage, I will not.

I listen to KFAN sometimes for other purposes, gopher football coverage has not been and is not one of them.

JG - During the podcast you asked for callers and no one ( well, one guy) called. That is because Gopher fans don't listen to KFAN because

1) KFAN pimps for the Vikings.

2) KFAN mocks and ridicules Gopher football.

3) KFAN mocks and ridicules Coach Brewster.

4) You are an Iowa fan. Gopher fans hate Iowa.

Here is a clue. If you love your wife or girlfriend you don't want to listen to guys mock and ridicule her. If you are a fan of a sports team you don't want to listen to guys who are totally ignorant of the program mock and ridicule that sports team. You don't want to hear guys running their mouth about teams you hate - if you wanted to hear about Iowa you would tune into that teams station. Speaking for myself it will take a while before I start listening to KFAN. The "talent" at KFAN hates the Gophers, I assume because they are on another radio station, and the contempt shows all the time. Who needs it? I, and many others, don't.

There is almost 0 gopher fans listening to sunday sermons, how are the fans supposed to know that they are talking gopher football to call in?

KFAN will not have Horton, Cosgrove, or a player on. When they start getting them, I will start listening. As long as the program itself is not going to KFAN for coverage, I will not.

I listen to KFAN sometimes for other purposes, gopher football coverage has not been and is not one of them.

Kim Royston was on PA on 7/29. He's talked about getting both Horton and Cosgrove on this season.

Look, I've been no fan of KFAN's coverage either. I take some solace that I never buy anything from any businesses that advertise there. But petulantly lashing out isn't really going to accomplish anything except give them more fodder to mock us rubes in the Hole.

I happened to be flipping through stations when I heard Griffith would be on

This was a good interview. Think it was actually well done and Gaard did a good job asking question's of Griffith. For those that don't know Gaard was scholarship player in Tennis for Iowa so if your going to ridicule guy for supporting his school I think that would be a little unfair. The touchdown jackrabbits thing with the Barrerio show is a bit, I don't think Gaard goes out of his way to ridicule Gophers even if Burrito does.

and now we're going to carp that one their biggest in-town detractors is changing its position to more consistently provide quality coverage? WTF does that accomplish?

Changing their position? PA tells a freshman at the U he'd have to be a masochist to get football tickets. Common is Common. Barreiro only refers to the head coach of the program as "Basement Brew". Yep, the tone sure has changed.

This will be my last post ever on a thread started by Justin Gaard...

JG, if you are reading this, know that I used to be a devout listener of the show, but I now rarely ever listen to it due to the approach you and Barreiro have taken towards the Gopher football program. I get that it's a little bit of a bit (it has to be because no two people who could be classified as radio industry professionals could possibly be so unprofessional, right?), but it has been beyond juvenile (spiteful/vengeful), to the point of ridiculous, and I can't for the life of me understand why. Can you help me understand?

The Gophers have been mediocre for forever - we get that. But even you, who Doogie claims in a post above to be a huge college football fan, clearly knows so little about the Gopher program, the recruits that are coming/have come in, the existing roster, and yet takes advantage of the platform afforded to you to again, voice ridiculous, vengeful comments against the program that to me, a fan of the program who truly follows it closely, have found to be so aggravating that I can't/won't listen to the show hardly anymore.

So, what are you supposed to do? How about doing a story such as the one the new beat writer for the Strib did the other day on Brandon Kirksey? Or the one Duanne Bennet yesterday? How about talking about how great the event held yesterday was for families?

Maybe you guys have changed your tune(?), and if so, I apologize - again, I wouldn't know because I pretty much quit listening the moment KSTP became part of ESPN.

Good luck on GH. I'm sure others will be more welcoming than I.

I have always deferred to friends Nadine, Matt O'Connell, etc. on recruits. I have never pretended to know a ton about recruits, especially outside the Metro. Here at Ch. 5, we did feature Crawford-Tufts last Monday ... so aware of the local kids some.

As for good feature stories ... hard with limited time on the TV-side, but Sports Wrap is a great platform ... had Weber in 3 weeks ago ... Brewster 2 months ago, and trying again w/ Brew for next Sunday ... put in a request weeks ago ... waiting to hear back.
Will do some features though. I had a great time with Tyler Cropsey, and his connection to M. Garin during the Spring. I would've loved to have done a Kirksey story this summer with him working at TCF, but had no idea. I ask around plenty, but many specific story ideas come from tips. If you have any, let me know. Also, a bit challenging on the video side. We can't shoot practice outside of stretching, and the first few minutes of individual drills. If I wanted to do a 1:25 piece on Kim Royston coming back, how would I have enough video? I also would need a picture or two of him in his cast from April (video of his injury certainly is not available to us ... it's only on the coaches video) ... I swapped emails with Chris, and he doesn't have any.

Played tennis at Iowa?
That's like playing ice hockey for Kenya.

My choice, Doogs. I've got more duties and roles at the station now. If I host a show, especially this time of year, there will be college football talk. I thought Griffith was good, thought people might be interested.

Good to hear. When you receive grief from co-workers/bosses, don't back down. Continue with the college football talk. I've known you for approx. 8 years, and from day one, you've always had a strong passion. Who else drives 4 1/2 hours to Iowa City on a Sat. afternoon, and circles back after a game just to be back for radio duties on a Sunday? Who does the same to see a Notre Dame game 8 hours away?
Glad they are giving you more of an opportunity to kick-butt.

Changing their position? PA tells a freshman at the U he'd have to be a masochist to get football tickets. Common is Common. Barreiro only refers to the head coach of the program as "Basement Brew". Yep, the tone sure has changed.

Dude, the program is going to get ripped to some extent wherever you go. While trying to find some coverage of the scrimmage yesterday I flipped on the Good Neighbor. While discussing SCSU's potential elimination of their football program, one of the commentators said it was important they keep their program since we only have one D-I program in the state. The other questioned who the D-I program was, because it certainly isn't the Gophers. At which point they all laughed and mockingly apologized to Brew and the U. Again, this was on the flagship station of Gopher sports.

Again, I think Barreiro particularly has gone way out of his way to rip the Gophers. While it's kind of his shtick, he takes it too far and it's in bad taste. But when the program has been largely unsuccessful for 40 years, some ripping is going to happen.

I have always deferred to friends Nadine, Matt O'Connell, etc. on recruits. I have never pretended to know a ton about recruits, especially outside the Metro. Here at Ch. 5, we did feature Crawford-Tufts last Monday ... so aware of the local kids some.

As for good feature stories ... hard with limited time on the TV-side, but Sports Wrap is a great platform ... had Weber in 3 weeks ago ... Brewster 2 months ago, and trying again w/ Brew for next Sunday ... put in a request weeks ago ... waiting to hear back.
Will do some features though. I had a great time with Tyler Cropsey, and his connection to M. Garin during the Spring. I would've loved to have done a Kirksey story this summer with him working at TCF, but had no idea. I ask around plenty, but many specific story ideas come from tips. If you have any, let me know. Also, a bit challenging on the video side. We can't shoot practice outside of stretching, and the first few minutes of individual drills. If I wanted to do a 1:25 piece on Kim Royston coming back, how would I have enough video? I also would need a picture or two of him in his cast from April (video of his injury certainly is not available to us ... it's only on the coaches video) ... I swapped emails with Chris, and he doesn't have any.
The Tyler Cropsey/Garin story you did was a fantastic human interest story that was about much more than just football. You should be awful proud of that one. As far as Kirksey is concerned, that one's kind of just been sitting there. I don't remember who did it, but they ran a piece on Brewster's FSN show last year about Brandon, showed him flying around the Bank on a forklift and focused on his family as well. It just became a little more relevant when he was elected captain. The stories are out there, you've just got to dig for them. This might be down the road, but I'm really interested to learn more about Beal and how he ended up with the Gophers. Keep up the good work.

Thanks ... it worked because the Cropseys & Garins are tremendous people.

This was a good interview. Think it was actually well done and Gaard did a good job asking question's of Griffith. For those that don't know Gaard was scholarship player in Tennis for Iowa so if your going to ridicule guy for supporting his school I think that would be a little unfair. The touchdown jackrabbits thing with the Barrerio show is a bit, I don't think Gaard goes out of his way to ridicule Gophers even if Burrito does.

You are completely wrong. Gaard is nothing more than a Barreiro shill. If anything, he rips the Gophers more than Barreiro. Then he come on here begging for listeners? KFAN gets very very few listeners on Sundays against Sid. When KFAN makes a serious effort to cover Gopher football without the silly name calling and bits, I will listen. Until then screw them.

minngg: have you seen the Sunday numbers? Have you seen the demo (25-54) numbers? Not sure your take on that is completely accurate. Does it matter if they dominate w/ 60+ listeners? In the world the FAN & we operate in, the 25-54 demo is most important by a landslide.

KFAN used to be the only station I listened to in the car unless I was listening to a game. I don't listen anymore. This is what they deserve.

When the idiots have lost their jobs, maybe then I'll return.

I used to listen to the morning show, then the one tool made a wise-ass comment to Tripplett about playing in the Rose Bowl. He never would have said it to Tripplett's face. So gutless and unprofessional. I haven't tuned in to KFAN since. Give me 1500 any day.

Griffith was a better interview than DiNardo was with Gorg the other day.

this is the best thread since 'oops...'

i'm not sure who this person with the extraneous 'A' in his last name is, but i wish i was a moderator so i could check his IP against any known sock puppets.

*nukes popcorn and sits back*

Said Goodbye to KFAN a while back ......

... I too became sick of their anti-gopher rhetoric. Hope they go belly up!

Too bad the only talent KFAN ever had turned to a life of cocaine. I suppose working with Allen would do that to anyone. What's that station going to do when the Vikings move?

Top Bottom