Thread for the rest of us...

tato2001

Reaction score
...Ok, I'm one of those that gets TOTALLY sick of the homers around here, and I have MAJOR questions and DOUBTS about the Gophers this coming year, however as the season moves towards fall, I am starting to get really excited about football. So here's where I stand, and I think probably most other folks are...

Two points:

-The Gophers have given us no evidence that they will be much improved this year (based on prior performance).

-That said, I do buy the argument that the team is bigger, stronger, faster, this year.

So, I am very excited to see how they come out of the gate. Some have called me 'not a true fan'. Screw you. I am looking forward to watching the team. Their efforts out of the gate will go a long way to influencing my opinion. And rightfully so, I say...

I'll bite. So you're saying you're a prototypical Gopher fan. Congratulations. Either embrace the enthusiasm or go hang with Loon on the Strib site. The positivity that's been brought in by Brew and Co. is a breath of fresh air compared to the stagnant attitude that's been festering in and around this program for the past 40 years, and until it's shown otherwise, we are an undefeated team whose limit is only the sky. Brew's playmakers are in place, it's time for them to put up or shut up, and I do believe we will be pleasantly surprised.

On a lighter note, I look forward to hearing your rants about firing Brew and replacing Weber after the first loss. Regards.

it's time for them to put up or shut up,

That is basically exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for backing me up.

On a lighter note, I look forward to hearing your rants about firing Brew and replacing Weber after the first loss. Regards.

I will promise I won't rant about firing Brewster after one loss, if you promise not to rant about keeping him after eight losses.

Deal?

Loki

I am no Loon and I have season tickets and I went to the spring game today and I consider myself a realist. The gophers need a running attack, something they have not had under Brewster and until they do they will not win. The Star and Tribune had a good article yesterday about past running attacks compared to Brewsters running attack and it is very telling and unfortunately it shows that since Brewster has come here are vaunted or at least solid running game has gone away. Hopefully, somebody steps up this year like Kirkwood. I think Weber will have a better year and I think the defense will struggle but has solid potential. But beyond that the key is the offensive line and the running attack. My prediction: The better we are at running the more we win. If we can run the ball we might 6 games if not we will win four or less. If at the end of the year, the defense and offense show much improvement and we beat Iowa or Wisconsin and upset OSU, PSU or USC I will be pumped about the team and Brewster should get another year, if not we will have gone backwards from avg. to good teams of the last regime and it will be time for a new coach. Run the ball baby and win!

I've supported Brewster from the start. 7 wins at least or he should be gone.

I am no Loon and I have season tickets and I went to the spring game today and I consider myself a realist. The gophers need a running attack, something they have not had under Brewster and until they do they will not win. The Star and Tribune had a good article yesterday about past running attacks compared to Brewsters running attack and it is very telling and unfortunately it shows that since Brewster has come here are vaunted or at least solid running game has gone away. Hopefully, somebody steps up this year like Kirkwood. I think Weber will have a better year and I think the defense will struggle but has solid potential. But beyond that the key is the offensive line and the running attack. My prediction: The better we are at running the more we win. If we can run the ball we might 6 games if not we will win four or less. If at the end of the year, the defense and offense show much improvement and we beat Iowa or Wisconsin and upset OSU, PSU or USC I will be pumped about the team and Brewster should get another year, if not we will have gone backwards from avg. to good teams of the last regime and it will be time for a new coach. Run the ball baby and win!

Running the ball does not guarantee success. I won't get into it here, as it has already been done in detail on previous threads, but even though Mason had great running teams, the most games he ever won was 10 and did that once - otherwise he was putting up very similar records to what we have now. Furthermore, I think we all agree that the majority of his rushing statistics came against the below average competition in the first part of the year. Once we got into the Big 10 season, the stats came down considerably.

I will agree with you that we need an improved rushing attack. Switching to the spread definitely changed the recruits and the style that the players were brought in to play. However, you are correct that after a couple years, this is the year we should start to see a better rushing attack. After yesterday, I think Kirkwood looks like he is a big step in the right direction.

Most great teams have good running attacks so i disagree with you. One also needs good defense and a quarterback that doesn't throw interceptions and has a nice touch. This is not rocket science. Since you brought up Masons teams his achilles heal was defense and you need that as well.

Most great teams have good running attacks so i disagree with you. One also needs good defense and a quarterback that doesn't throw interceptions and has a nice touch. This is not rocket science. Since you brought up Masons teams his achilles heal was defense and you need that as well.

There is no dabating that Mason had a very good offense/great running game, but every time you watched his defense it was like they were running in 'slow motion'.

I am wondering where all these "homers" are. Minnesota has the fewest number of "homers" of any team I am familiar with and that is not a good thing. The people you would call "homers" on this site are mostly arguing that we (as in Gopher fans) should be happy with 6 wins this year. That's a whopping 3-5 conference record (The Mason average).

I would bet it would be tough to find another school that won 6 games last year whose homer fans are claiming winning 6 games again would be a good thing.

I've shared my feelings on setting the bar that low a million times, I won't repeat them again in this thread.

...Ok, I'm one of those that gets TOTALLY sick of the homers around here, and I have MAJOR questions and DOUBTS about the Gophers this coming year, however as the season moves towards fall, I am starting to get really excited about football. So here's where I stand, and I think probably most other folks are...

Who are "the rest of us"?
Is that the "eternal pessimist" crowd there seems to be here?

This is a gopher football forum for gopher football fans. Wouldn't one be a "homer" by association (if not definition)?

Go Gophers.

see, you got it in one.

I am wondering where all these "homers" are. Minnesota has the fewest number of "homers" of any team I am familiar with and that is not a good thing. The people you would call "homers" on this site are mostly arguing that we (as in Gopher fans) should be happy with 6 wins this year. That's a whopping 3-5 conference record (The Mason average).

I would bet it would be tough to find another school that won 6 games last year whose homer fans are claiming winning 6 games again would be a good thing.

I've shared my feelings on setting the bar that low a million times, I won't repeat them again in this thread.

When Burrito listeners come here the first thing out of their mouths is the attack calling anybody who doesn't subscribe to bitter cynicism a "homer". I'm in the camp of a six win season, this year, being successful. I guarantee you that if they really play well and get to six wins there will be threads and postings on every other thread demanding that Brewster be fired. Cynics always describe themselves as "realists". True realists weigh all sides and factors to come to a conclusion. Cynics will be back using anything negative to prove their world view, which in this case the .500 record and losing record in the Big Ten will do nicely.

Who are "the rest of us"?
Is that the "eternal pessimist" crowd there seems to be here?

This is a gopher football forum for gopher football fans. Wouldn't one be a "homer" by association (if not definition)?

Go Gophers.

Right On Gopherfield!

I agree. Most here don't believe we'll be the predicted 2-10. Of course no one thought we'd be 1-11 in 2007. There are reasons to be optimistic. Regardless of what some may say, we have recruited well over the last three years and the staff seems committed to bringing those guys along slowly. As disappointing as it may seem, if we can win half our games this year, I think we should be happy. Brewster has taken a different tact than Mason and it hasn't paid dividends yet. Will it this year? I don't know. There's lots of optimism is camp, but that's a common theme every where every year. If we beat MTSU, Dasher-less or not, it will go a long way toward building the confidence of the young guys.

Some people want to positive and some negative. That's not a probably. What I take issue with is the stupid rhetoric of a few half-wits who level predictable insult at those who want to believe the team will do well. Anyone who spoils for a fight and then cries when someone gives it to them is a total P.O.S. in my book. When we lose, which we will, these nitwits will be back to point out how right they were. If we win they won't post at all. It's a predictable cycle.

When Burrito listeners come here

Careful. I got labeled a bigot for referring to him as "Burrito", even though I had no idea he was Spanish. :rolleyes: I guess I'll just refer to him as "arrogant a-hole" from now on.

TOTALLY sick of homers... really? People voicing opinions different from yours makes you sick? Some people are positive about the Gophers, some are negative. Big deal. Both are just opinions and basically meaningless.

By the way, isn't it a little contradictory to say there's no evidence the Gophers are a better team while at the same time agreeing that they are bigger, stronger and faster? Also, how could the Gophers provide "evidence" that they are a better team without playing a game? Is how they played last year "evidence" of how they will play this year?

How good or how bad will the Gophers be this year? Personally, I enjoy not knowing.

TOTALLY sick of homers... really? People voicing opinions different from yours makes you sick? Some people are positive about the Gophers, some are negative. Big deal. Both are just opinions and basically meaningless.

By the way, isn't it a little contradictory to say there's no evidence the Gophers are a better team while at the same time agreeing that they are bigger, stronger and faster? Also, how could the Gophers provide "evidence" that they are a better team without playing a game? Is how they played last year "evidence" of how they will play this year?

How good or how bad will the Gophers be this year? Personally, I enjoy not knowing.

That's why they play the games. I'm ready to start watching and cheering.

Offense has been terrible for three years - spread was horrible for us (Weber getting most of the carries, for instance in year one). But we need a balanced attack - the run plus Bud Grant's short passing game - throw to the tight ends and backs a lot, with the yardage mostly after the catch. The Gopher running game should be better, but not enough to win six. We have to pass, too. It will be a very interesting year, but even if we don't win six, Brew will be back.

Two points:

-The Gophers have given us no evidence that they will be much improved this year (based on prior performance).

-That said, I do buy the argument that the team is bigger, stronger, faster, this year.

So, I am very excited to see how they come out of the gate. Some have called me 'not a true fan'. Screw you. I am looking forward to watching the team. Their efforts out of the gate will go a long way to influencing my opinion. And rightfully so, I say...

That is basically exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for backing me up.

I will promise I won't rant about firing Brewster after one loss, if you promise not to rant about keeping him after eight losses.

Deal?

If this guy is an example what being a "realist fan" is in Minnesota, the hell with him. A "realist fan" in Minnesota is a passive-aggressive "anti-fan" who will not sacrifice a bit of themselves unless they have a sure winner.

These are the "fans" that we have worked toward purging from our ranks. Slowly, but surely, it will happen. We have our tickets, and when these "fans" come a-slitherin' on their bellies trying to get in, we will step on them on the way into the stadium.

Go away.

That thread already exists, and I understand it has seen significant traffic.

It's called buckyville.

I agree

Too many times people on these boards get all bent out of shape when people type anything negative. I saw it when this board was full of Masonites and I see it now with this board full of Brewsterites.

I hope this team goes undefeated but I think it's going to be a long season.

and I thought he was Italian...

Careful. I got labeled a bigot for referring to him as "Burrito", even though I had no idea he was Spanish. :rolleyes: I guess I'll just refer to him as "arrogant a-hole" from now on.

So, I will take the pledge. Only arrogant a-hole from now on.

Really?

Too many times people on these boards get all bent out of shape when people type anything negative. I saw it when this board was full of Masonites and I see it now with this board full of Brewsterites.

I hope this team goes undefeated but I think it's going to be a long season.

Supporting the head coach is a bad thing? I think pining for the former coach is worse. Don't you trip all the time looking for the future or past and not where you are and are going?

The single best gauge of how the program is doing is how many Big Ten games they win. That is what the program is trying to do, that has the least variability from year to year. I measure how we are doing by that standard, the rest is just talk. This is this coaches' fourth year. Thus far he has won six games in three years. He needs to win some Big Ten games this year. In particular, rivalry games.

Top Bottom