Westbrook

Jim V2

Reaction score
I don't know he keeps getting pt. He's a cancer on the team--only 2 reb and no assists.

:cool:

Ummm, I think that's what you call sarcasm from Jim V2 (hence the ;)) - unless you're being sarcastic in calling him out, From the Barn?

GL, thanks for the scoreboard shot...it is traveling around company HQ this morning.

My favorite Westbrook criticism

Was someone suggesting Lawrence would be good in a "6 feet and under league". Makes me wonder if that person has ever bothered taking the time to see what Westbrook contributes to the Gophers. He seems to be doing OK in the Big 10, too.

I don't know he keeps getting pt. He's a cancer on the team--only 2 reb and no assists.

What is fun to see is LW and Johnson playing so well. Just a short time ago there were so many doubters of these two guys.

Nice to see them mature on the court and prove that they belong.

I'll bite.

Ask anyone whose "cancer" is in remission how they got fooled by a "clean bill of health" prognosis only to find themselves on their death bed 6 months later.

I'll wait until we complete our course of "chemo" before I'll retract statement number two (didn't make statement number one) because I saw signs of "cancer" when he gave up on defense last night. And don't forget that "chemo" tends to kill a lot of "healthy" cells in the process so be careful what you wish for...

Carter and Bostick are the "chemo" and Westbrook is finally stepping up his game after spending some time on the bench. Good for him and most importantly, good for the Gophers LAST NIGHT. My prognosis of a "clean bill of health" is still out. For the record, I'm hoping for a full recovery and at least a Sweet Sixteen appearance.

"Finally stepping up his game"?

Yes, we have better players playing with him now, but Westbrook still arguably has been our best player and undoubtedly our fiercest competitor the last two seasons. Respectfully, I just don't understand some of the wrath Lawrence is receiving.

At time he forces it and that cannot happen in close games with great teams. This team has a shot IMO, to contend for the BT title and a top 5 seed in the big dance. Sweet sixteen would not surprise me either.
He was cold blooded last night at the line. Reminded me of Bobby J taking the game over and telling everyone that we will not lose.

I don't think anyone has said Westbrook's game is flawless. But my gosh, what I've seen with my own eyes is a guy who's busted his ass and played a lot of good basketball for the Gophers in the past two seasons. Plain and simple, he's a very important piece of this program's awakening.

I think people have forgotten what it is like to have a scorer who actually wants the ball.

Don't hold your breath.

Maybe if we see the same or similar performance from Westbrook at MSU for a win, otherwise you can forget it.
:rolleyes:

Why stop there? Why not demand he drops 29 in the Final Four before you even think about it. Wait, no, the championship game. Your misguided opinions/personal dislikes are what matters, right?

Some of you people have no clue...

I don't think anyone has said Westbrook's game is flawless. But my gosh, what I've seen with my own eyes is a guy who's busted his ass and played a lot of good basketball for the Gophers in the past two seasons. Plain and simple, he's a very important piece of this program's revivial.

Absolutely spot on.

The Gophers do not, no way, no how, win last night without Westbrook. What else do people want?

And how many other games do we lose the last two seasons without him at the free throw line?

Great Points about Lawrence

This guy wanted the ball and he delivered last night. He was confident and it showed.

I'm not sure, but are people looking for "ONE GUY" to step up in crunch time? The way things are shaping up, we very well might have two or three or "THE GUYS" on this team. I think Carter and Bostick's grapes have gotten bigger this past week.

There were a few times Bostick got the ball at the top of the key and you could just see that he HAD to score. He got to the bucket and had some easy layups. I'd like to see him assert himself like that more often.

Also, still have the image of Bostick receiving a great pass from Carter in OT and throwing it down. I still have goosebumps!

Yes, we have better players playing with him now, but Westbrook still arguably has been our best player and undoubtedly our fiercest competitor the last two seasons. Respectfully, I just don't understand some of the wrath Lawrence is receiving.

Respectfully, what I've seen from Westbrook is not "fierce" competitiveness--he's a stats hound. This season alone I can name two games (not counting the "fluffy non-cons") where there is also plenty of evidence of this: Louisville and MSU.

"Fierce competitors" show up for THOSE games, not just the ones where there's an opportunity to improve his PPG stat. Most of his points come after the outcome of the game has already been decided--just so happened that his late game shots actually counted for something in the Badger game. And I'll give him this--he's by far our best free throw shooter.

IMO Carter, Bostick, Johnson, Hoffarber and yes, Nolen were the "fierce competitors" against the Badgers. They wore down the less athletic Badgers and Westbrook had a "break out" game in his specialty--scoring points. He pretty much gave up playing defense about 6 minutes into the 2nd half, but it's a big win, so give him credit for that--it's all good.

We're seeing two completely different players. We shall agree to disagree.

Were the first nine points in the PSU game after the outcome was determined?

Were the first nine points in the PSU game after the outcome was determined?

I think my opinion has been clearly stated. If you want to stand out in the frozen snow and continue the pissing match, have at it.

Westbrook having a career night against the Badgers still doesn't remove my reservations but if it makes YOU happy, BE HAPPY. I celebrate the victory and give credit to the team.

If you want to meet the bus with a "Welcome Home Superstar" banner for Westbrook on Sunday night, have at it--just don't expect me to be there waving my "Gold Out" pon poms.

As SS stated: "we'll just have to agree to disagree."

Sorry, the facts just aren't on your side, and when that happens, your opinion is irrelevant.

Respectfully, what I've seen from Westbrook is not "fierce" competitiveness--he's a stats hound. This season alone I can name two games (not counting the "fluffy non-cons") where there is also plenty of evidence of this: Louisville and MSU.

"Fierce competitors" show up for THOSE games, not just the ones where there's an opportunity to improve his PPG stat. Most of his points come after the outcome of the game has already been decided--just so happened that his late game shots actually counted for something in the Badger game. And I'll give him this--he's by far our best free throw shooter.

IMO Carter, Bostick, Johnson, Hoffarber and yes, Nolen were the "fierce competitors" against the Badgers. They wore down the less athletic Badgers and Westbrook had a "break out" game in his specialty--scoring points. He pretty much gave up playing defense about 6 minutes into the 2nd half, but it's a big win, so give him credit for that--it's all good.

Hoffarber was a fierce competiter? What did he do to be fierce?, he got one steal that came right to him. He was horrendous last night.

I dont like to get down on a kid or anything, but I have been very unimpressed with him his whole career. Yes he is a great 3 point shooter, hes in a slump right now but he will shoot out of it. Other than shoot threes he does not bring anything else to the table. Horrible defender, not quick or fast enough to be a guard, cannot drive, isnt tough, and he can't rebound in traffic.

Saying Hoffarber was a fierce competiter is being a total homer. IMO he should take a seat next to KP and big JW on the bench.

He makes threes and has two huge shots in his career which is good but he isnt a consintant force at all and probably never will be.

Sorry for the rant but........... it is just my opinion.

I know it's your opinion, but man "What you've just said, is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." -Billy Madison

Blake Hoffarber is a winner. He may not put up gaudy numbers, but he does all the little things needed to win. A big rebound here, a thread the needle pass there. Or what about him being handed the point guard duties in crunch time at the Kohl Center? For some shooters who are in a slump, it affects their whole game. Although Blake's shots aren't falling, he is still a regular contributor to helping us win. That is my opinion and I believe many gopherholers will side with me on that.

Ummm, I think that's what you call sarcasm from Jim V2 (hence the ;)) - unless you're being sarcastic in calling him out, From the Barn?

Of course you're right, GL, and I even fessed up on another thread when I later discovered somebody had beaten me to this punch.

People can disagree on relative strengths and weaknesses, but calling someone a cancer???

Personally, I think everyone on that team is helping in their own way to make it a better team, and I'm grateful to all of them.

Top Bottom