What I hope to get from the scrimmage

auric@heart

Reaction score
1. Does Weber still hesitate with the ball, or does he throw on time.
2. How many plays from the I.
3. Ratio or percentage of runs/pass.
4. Who are the second team offensive line. Do any get reps with the first team.

Special Forces

1. Punting from inside our own 20, a couple from the endzone.
2. Do we outpunt our coverage.
3. Can we run one back or block one

Defense
1. How good is Manuel
2. How close is Vareen
3. How about Hageman

It is hard to see much from these situations because the guys will mostly not be going 100%. Any nicked player will be held out. It's a practice. It is good that the young guys get some game like action. They will get to be a little nervous. It just can't match up to what we will see in 12 days.

1. Does Weber still hesitate with the ball, or does he throw on time.

For me, this is the biggest thing. Yup...it's a scrimmage, but I think the less talked about facet of the "simplified offense" is that Weber is no longer calling the line play. He needed to survey the D to mentally prepare for the route progressions that the receivers were contemplating. No less important are the route progressions of the receivers. It is asking a lot of college players to not only understand the multitude of routes they are expected to know, considering a large variety of defensive schemes, but that Weber and the receivers were expected to be on the same page.

The more I think about last year's offensive scheme, the more effed up I think it was.

I also want to see how Bennett and any freshmen look running the ball.

Oh...almost forgot. I really want to see what Hageman looks like.

One other thing to look for with Weber, he has had a tendency to throw off his back foot rather than following through.That was the problem 2 years ago, he was throwing either short or high and to the right.

I wish I could remember the announcer from last year, former pro QB commenting on Weber's failed dump passes. He basically said, that's the result you get when you're aiming the football, you tend to hold it too long and the ball goes into the ground. Which totally fits in with the hesitancy, and whole Fisch experiment problem.

I'll be looking for the same thing as you guys. He's a senior, it's time to take everything he's learned and just play the game.

The Weber 'dish' is exactly what I'll be looking at too. Nothing else. Well, Weber and how the offense stacks up. I'm so excited, I couldn't sleep last night.. finally had to jump out of bed an hour ago (7:30am on a Sat?!) and get ready.

Also will be interesting to see how many fans show up, too.. I have this goofy feeling that we won't see the sell out 'streak' through to the end of this season.

I hope we get a win at the scrimmage. A win would show us that we might be okay for the regulalr season.

What I hate about this whole ordeal is that no matter how you look at it, we won't know much more after the scrimmage than after about the offense and defense of our football team.

If the offense can run the ball--- does that show our young linebackers don't know what their doing or does it show that the offensive line has improved and Bennett is back to form?

If the defense steps up and looks good, does that mean Cooper, Rallis, and Tinsley are for real and our young secondary is talented enough to stop Big Ten offenses... or does it mean that Horton's offense and Jedd Fisch's offense really aren't all that different?

To some extent we may learn some things about individual talent levels... but in terms of the team, the things I'm dying to learn I may not find out until week 3 or week 4.

To some extent we may learn some things about individual talent levels... but in terms of the team, the things I'm dying to learn I may not find out until week 3 or week 4.

Exactly. Which is why I'm mainly watching Weber and how our offense is called.

I just want to know if they look better than the two or three win team that most 'experts' are predicting. I'm hoping the guys who have been to several scrimmages can tell us if there has been improvement. 8 wins is my prediction.

Top Bottom