Local Coverage- Roch

CarterAveKing

Reaction score
This morning I sent an email to the news desk at KTTC (NBC Rochester) to mildly complain that in general the Gophs don't get enough air time. The lack of even a mention of tomorrow's scrimmage was what brought about the email (frustration stemming back to only a mention of the baseball team's Big 10 / NCAA wins after they lost in Calif.) This afternoon I got a call from the sports director (Pat Lund) thanking me for my email and defending the fact that they have done a pretty good job covering highlights and scores from most Gopher sports. He gave several examples of their coverage, even stating he has season tickets to football, basketball, AND hockey. I guess that really impressed me.

Sounds like they try to get highlights (even sending a camera to the scrimmage most years- just can't tomorrow). Sounds like the problem is many of their highlights come from other sources and in the case of the Baseball team, ESPNU didn't give out highlights from the NCAAs.

Even without film highlights, mentioning a score (ex. baseball), an update on a player's feel-good story, recruiting, etc. would be a nice touch. They're competing with the Vikes training, Twins, and Northwoods Leagues Honkers (summer college baseball) right now, plus the fall HS coverage a smaller town TV can provide.

Just wanted to share that I personally got a call from a TV station and hope that the media will continue to realize the importance of our Div I Gopher teams.

This morning I sent an email to the news desk at KTTC (NBC Rochester) to mildly complain that in general the Gophs don't get enough air time. The lack of even a mention of tomorrow's scrimmage was what brought about the email (frustration stemming back to only a mention of the baseball team's Big 10 / NCAA wins after they lost in Calif.) This afternoon I got a call from the sports director (Pat Lund) thanking me for my email and defending the fact that they have done a pretty good job covering highlights and scores from most Gopher sports. He gave several examples of their coverage, even stating he has season tickets to football, basketball, AND hockey. I guess that really impressed me.

Sounds like they try to get highlights (even sending a camera to the scrimmage most years- just can't tomorrow). Sounds like the problem is many of their highlights come from other sources and in the case of the Baseball team, ESPNU didn't give out highlights from the NCAAs.

Even without film highlights, mentioning a score (ex. baseball), an update on a player's feel-good story, recruiting, etc. would be a nice touch. They're competing with the Vikes training, Twins, and Northwoods Leagues Honkers (summer college baseball) right now, plus the fall HS coverage a smaller town TV can provide.

Just wanted to share that I personally got a call from a TV station and hope that the media will continue to realize the importance of our Div I Gopher teams.

Nice job!:clap:

Good for you, I agree it seems lik the gophers are an after thought in Rochester. I'm hard pressed to find many people who even loosely fallow the gophers down here. I see more Texas and Florida shirts in Roch than gophers. I'll tell you what though I'm getting real sick of the whole state hanging off the balls of the Vikings. It's like KFAN brain washed everyone and we have 3 million Paul Allens walking around. I get their good (and I'm happy about that) but these fair weather goons just piss me off. Where were all these people 3-4 years ago??

I'm impressed by their response. I live in the TC so it has no impact on me but I also like your effort to get more coverage of the Gophers down there.

I'm impressed too...

In Duluth, the scores and video always comes after U.M.D. and wisconsin, usually, right before the hand-off.

Nice job. I would expect such from a 2060 man.

Outstate Exposure

If St. Cloud State drops their football program(I don't think they will) that would be a great place for the Gophers to hold an annual practice/scrimage.

In the early 70's(I believe 2 yrs, maybe 1) the Gophers held a week long practice at Arrowwood Lodge in Alexandria, MN. The front lawn between the lodge and the Lake became a full size football field with goal posts.

Top Bottom