Trib Article

Ah, I love the smell of BS in the morning. It's smells like, trolling.

So you think that it's wise to put freshmen in that are not game ready quite yet instead of an O-Line that has seasoned veterans? While the offensive line-play held much to be desired last year, when the execution was right, they were at least respectable.

You must not have played much football to think that a lineman can pick up technique, muscle, gel with the rest of the line, and learn the playbook in 3-months. It just does not happen that fast.

Yeah, but if he is as good as people pimped him to be (some said better than Seantrel Henderson), then he should be able to at least contribute SOMETHING to a team predicted to finish dead last by just about every media outlet.

I guess redshirting him and preserving a year of eligibility is a good idea if he's not ready and minimal plauying time this year would be a waste.

Yeah, but if he is as good as people pimped him to be (some said better than Seantrel Henderson), then he should be able to at least contribute SOMETHING to a team predicted to finish dead last by just about every media outlet.

I guess redshirting him and preserving a year of eligibility is a good idea if he's not ready and minimal plauying time this year would be a waste.

Frankly, had we landed Henderson I would have expected them to RS him too.

Not necessarily true. Vince young and Mike Vick were superstar All American recruits that tooka RS. Most coaches will tell you that the closer you are to the LOS the harder it is to play as a true frosh. The kid needs to get stronger like most frosh OL. Nebraska built a dynasty by redshirting OL and then pumping them up for 2 more years and starting juniors and seniors. Gjere has all the tools to be an NFL lineman (not saying he will be, just that physically he has the tools) and just needs to get stronger. You can't expect him to be able to maul 21 and 22 year old 4th and 5th year Big Ten DTs as an 18 year old freshman. Those that can do that are rare

Huh? Are you saying the #1 recruit in the country would RS playing for a potential last place team?

he wouldn't be the first, and it really doesn't matter at this point anyway. Point is that redshirting is ideal for 99.9% of OL

Huh? Are you saying the #1 recruit in the country would RS playing for a potential last place team?
I'm saying that a true freshman tackle wouldn't be the piece that saves Brew's job assuming we're a "last place team". I'm not saying Brew would have RS'd him, just that for me as a fan, I would have rather seen him get a RS. That way he'd get stronger and be a bigger force when he did play rather than tossing him out there to get worn down and beat up on by older, stronger, more experienced defenders.

he wouldn't be the first, and it really doesn't matter at this point anyway. Point is that redshirting is ideal for 99.9% of OL

Exactly. But don't worry Art, I'm not really expecting you to argue this in a way that makes sense. You'd rather conflate people's infatuation with rankings and some preseason predictions about this team with a player who isn't actually here and use it to make some point about why we're all idiots and the Gophers are doomed. So by all means, continue.

If he's able to redshirt the freshmen O-Linemen, that indicates that the upperclassmen are doing OK.

If he's able to redshirt the freshmen O-Linemen, that indicates that the upperclassmen are doing OK.

Only in a bizzaro world! I mean, Brew's job is on the line. That means he must be committed to playing his worst options at every position.

That's a funny picture they decided to put into the paper

Someday you'll get it.

freshmen are kids.
Seniors are men.

The more potential a kid has the more likely he is to RS.

A freshmen playing has extremely little to do with the skill of the freshman and quite a bit to do with the abilities of the upperclassmen

Playing a freshman is a fail.

Someday you'll get it.

freshmen are kids.
Seniors are men.

The more potential a kid has the more likely he is to RS.

A freshmen playing has extremely little to do with the skill of the freshman and quite a bit to do with the abilities of the upperclassmen

Playing a freshman is a fail.

do you know a guy by the name of adrian peterson? But I guess that really does not apply to gopher football since we do not recruit talent like that.

do you know a guy by the name of adrian peterson? But I guess that really does not apply to gopher football since we do not recruit talent like that.

Adrian Peterson was a iineman in college? I didn't know that.

Not necessarily true. Vince young and Mike Vick were superstar All American recruits that tooka RS. Most coaches will tell you that the closer you are to the LOS the harder it is to play as a true frosh. The kid needs to get stronger like most frosh OL. Nebraska built a dynasty by redshirting OL and then pumping them up for 2 more years and starting juniors and seniors. Gjere has all the tools to be an NFL lineman (not saying he will be, just that physically he has the tools) and just needs to get stronger. You can't expect him to be able to maul 21 and 22 year old 4th and 5th year Big Ten DTs as an 18 year old freshman. Those that can do that are rare

Both may have red shirted, but they both left early proving their red shirt was pointless.

Adrian Peterson was a iineman in college? I didn't know that.

he was referring to freshman in his post not just o-lineman. Maybe he should clarify his post better next time.

BTW, I'm sure Seantrell will be playing for the canes this year:) The gophers don't get players that have that much physical talent coming out of highschool .

Yeah, Laurence Maroney, Marion Barber, Gary Russel were big time stiffs.

You can't compare true freshman running backs to offensive lineman. If you are, you are more dense than I thought. How about you count the amount of true freshman OL in the two deeps in all the big 10.

From the time a person's high school class graduate his clock is ticking. Three years later he can go pro. Will he? Depends on many factors. But, he can. This fact changes the old ideas on red shirting. In a sense it is more "use him or lose him" if the young man is an NFL talent in less than five years.

Both may have red shirted, but they both left early proving their red shirt was pointless.

That makes no sense. Redshirting happens when a coach thinks a player will benefit from an extra year of strength training and/or time to learn the playbook/position. Coaches aren't fortune tellers and even if they were, are you suggesting coaches should put players on the field before they thing they are ready because they might leave early for the NFL if they prove to be good enough?

Yeah, Laurence Maroney, Marion Barber, Gary Russel were big time stiffs.

You can't compare true freshman running backs to offensive lineman. If you are, you are more dense than I thought. How about you count the amount of true freshman OL in the two deeps in all the big 10.

Here is an idea, instead of name calling why don't you provide an actual reasoning behind your argument? Just a thought.

From the time a person's high school class graduate his clock is ticking. Three years later he can go pro. Will he? Depends on many factors. But, he can. This fact changes the old ideas on red shirting. In a sense it is more "use him or lose him" if the young man is an NFL talent in less than five years.

Goody. This would be much more applicable if we were talking about the best RB in the country or best QB in the country etc. In reality, we're talking about a very good offensive lineman. But by all means, keep comparing apples to oranges.

Here is an idea, instead of name calling why don't you provide an actual reasoning behind your argument? Just a thought.

He did. Right before and right after calling you dense. Try rereading his post.

That makes no sense. Redshirting happens when a coach thinks a player will benefit from an extra year of strength training and/or time to learn the playbook/position. Coaches aren't fortune tellers and even if they were, are you suggesting coaches should put players on the field before they thing they are ready because they might leave early for the NFL if they prove to be good enough?

Clearly, if they will not be there for even 4 years, get something out of them right away. They don't need to be a starter, but if they can help change the outcome of even one game it is well worth it. Gjere I don't feel is this type of player, but obviously some are....

Do I need to explain more thoroughly to you why a true freshman OL would benefit more from a year of strength and conditioning than a running back, let alone the #1 recruit in the country at a skill position?

Bingo!!!

Exactly! Or, more specifically, if he's able to redshirt HIGHLY RECRUITED O-linemen, that indicates the upper classmen are doing alright.

I take this as nothing but a good sign myself.

Top Bottom