Brew, Bennett, Horton and Darrell Thompson high on Donnell Kirkwood

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this article from Marcus:

Freshman running back Donnell Kirkwood making a good first impression with Gophers
Freshman back could push vets for playing time
By Marcus R. Fuller
Updated: 08/19/2010 06:18:23 PM CDT

Duane Bennett was ready to contribute at tailback out of high school three years ago, and he sees similarities in his University of Minnesota freshman teammate, Donnell Kirkwood, this fall.

"He does kind of remind me of how I was my freshman year," said Bennett, now a junior. "He's coming in and getting in the playbook and really trying to get a grasp of the offense. He's doing everything the coaches ask of him. He has had his bumps in the road, but overall I think he's doing great this camp."

The Gophers were hoping one of their three freshman running backs would push veterans Bennett and DeLeon Eskridge for carries this season.

Kirkwood seems to be that guy.

Minnesota coach Tim Brewster said the former Delray Beach Atlantic (Fla.) High School standout was ahead of fellow freshmen Lamonte Edwards and Devon Wright. Edwards, a four-star recruit from Woodbury High School, has fallen behind while recovering from an ankle injury.

"Donnell Kirkwood has done a nice job," Brewster said Wednesday, "not only running the football but without the ball in pass protection. And that's critical."

First-year offensive coordinator Jeff Horton said Kirkwood could have what it takes to immediately help the Gophers, who ranked last in the Big Ten in rushing each of the past two seasons.

"He's going to be a really good player," Horton said. "He just has to keep learning. Every day is a new experience for him. He'll see something different, different looks and different techniques. (Running backs coach) Thomas Hammock has done a great job with him and all of the backs."

Bennett and Kirkwood are similar in size. Bennett is 5 feet 9, 210 pounds. Kirkwood has a solid, 200-pound frame, but he appears to be an inch shorter than Bennett, despite being listed at 5-10.

Both players lack blazing speed, but they are quick enough to find cutting lanes. Their biggest asset is a physical, downhill running style that fits in well with Horton's pro-style offense.

Bennett, who led the team in rushing last season with 376 yards and six touchdowns on 98 carries, and Eskridge have taken most of the snaps with the first-team offense in practice. But Kirkwood is getting more and more reps right behind them.

"We've definitely been having a lot of competition in this camp," Bennett said. "The main thing about what we have going for us is that you have to come out and go all out in practice every day, on every play. You can't take a day off and be satisfied with where you sit on the depth chart."

Either Bennett or Eskridge likely will start in the backfield in the season opener Sept. 2 at Middle Tennessee State, but that doesn't mean it will remain that way.

Last season, Bennett looked to be the workhorse after he rushing for 89 yards and three touchdowns on 21 carries in a Big Ten-opening win over Northwestern. But he was the team's third-leading rusher with 166 yards on 47 carries combined in the last nine games.

Redshirt freshman Kevin Whaley, who was kicked off the team after an assault charge following the Insight Bowl loss to Iowa State, led the team with 336 yards on 82 carries in the last nine games. Eskridge was second with 189 yards on 51 carries during that stretch.

Gophers radio analyst Darrell Thompson, the school's career rushing leader, said it's too early to tell how much Kirkwood might play to start the season. But he said it wouldn't surprise him if Kirkwood is the team's top back by the end of the season.

"He looked really good out there," Thompson said about Kirkwood in Saturday's scrimmage. "It looked like he has a little bit of a leg up. Only time will tell. He's shifty. He takes advantage of all the space he's got. He's a good, hard-nosed runner. He makes a decision, and he gets upfield. He has a shot to be successful."

http://www.twincities.com/gophersfootball/ci_15831504

Go Gophers!!

This news and the news of Olsen pushing for playing time at tackle is just what I was hoping to hear before the start of the season.

No one can say the recent O-line play has been stellar, and the same lack of stellar play could be said about the RBs. I think the two most important factors for the Gophers this season are putting an improved O-line out on the field and having someone step-up at the RB position. I'm starting to believe both will happen. If both do, there are only positives what will come of this. Less pressure on Weber, more rest for the defense, and more importantly... an offensive identity. If Minnesota can find a consistent offensive scheme and dictate the tempo of the game, people are going to be shocked by what the Gophers are capable of this season. But it all starts with the O-line and running game.

There are a lot of pieces of unknowns that need to come together this year. Each might. We can hope they will. I agree that these two are particularly important. However, I could name some more. The receivers need to get better at doing the Decker thing, ie, go to where Weber thinks you be given the D we are facing. Weber needs get his mechanics right more often. The young defensive linemen need to play as well as their size seems to suggest they might. The new OC needs to be as sound as we want him to be. Three new starting LB's. I do not believe our safeties are any more than "experienced". Our corners are very raw and inexperienced. Injuries are always very key for programs that are not as deep as the elite programs. Can Brewster, his coaches and the team captains keep the players out of trouble both on the field and off the field? Not last year.

Is all the above impossible or even unlikely? Nope. But, there are lot of different improvements needed. Fortunately, many or even all of our opponents also have issues as well. 13 days to go.

Top Bottom