Gophers-Michigan 1986

Cool video.

Thanks for posting this.

I've always wanted to see more of that game than the Foggie scramble and the Lohmiller FG to win it.

I wonder if I could see more of this if I paid for the Gold Zone on gophersports.com...hmm.

Wonder why BigTen Network hasn't played that game for us to see. No agreement with whoever owns the PASS network footage?

Love that it was on the KITN that roars! LOL. That had to be a re-run...no way that game was on free TV.

GM

It wasn't on in Duluth at all...

I've only seen the roll out and the field goal myself.

It was the day I became a Gophers fan.

Thanks for posting this.

I've always wanted to see more of that game than the Foggie scramble and the Lohmiller FG to win it.

I wonder if I could see more of this if I paid for the Gold Zone on gophersports.com...hmm.

Wonder why BigTen Network hasn't played that game for us to see. No agreement with whoever owns the PASS network footage?

Love that it was on the KITN that roars! LOL. That had to be a re-run...no way that game was on free TV.

GM

It WAS on KITN. I spent part of the afternoon changing the oil and putting a new battery in the car, with my 2 year old daughter in tow. I listened to the game on the radio after the battery was in. We went up to our apartment, and sure enough, the game was on the "KITN that ROARS".

The Foggie run was monumental! The best part is the broadcasters very blase "and he got it...no time left". Michigan announcers?

Shows what a threat you have when the QB can scramble. I remember when Foggie came off the bench in the second half to win Holtz's first Gopher game, which was in doubt until then - against Rice!

Yeah, the announcers kind of didn't sound too excited when Lohmiller banged home the kick.

Anybody else think that Goldy should go back to the alumni sweater instead of wearing the respective sport's jersey? Jersey's are for pro sports. My top two crusades as a Gopher fan from this moment forward: 1) Get Dave Lee fired from play-by-play & 2) Get Goldy wearing a maroon sweater for a clean college look.

Why doesn't the BTN play this game instead of the same 4 games they always play?

I agree with Section2...I was excited when they ran the 1981 Ohio State game from Memorial Stadium...I now have it on DVD...but I know the Gophers have been on television more than that...how about the big 1977 wins over Michigan, Washington and UCLA? How about some other Memorial Stadium games...I know they must have a bigger library than they have been showing...I believe in Holtz's first year, the Gophers upset a ranked Wisconsin team at Cam Randal...TBS covered the game...it would be nice to see instead of everything being from the Glen Mason era.

I too take issue with BTN's selection of "greatest games". The 1996 game against Illinios? Really? Otherwise it's games where we totally get jobbed. Why not just put the '83 Nebraska game on every day for the next 10 years.

What a year. We had a great team, great expectations. I remember the season not so much for the unexpected win at Michigan, but the loss to Pacific. The 1986 year might have been the last year Butch Nash was on the staff. Former player, long time coach, I think he might have been a volunteer coach in 1986. But those on the team, credit Butch for the win.

Gutey actually did a good job that season. They lost to Pacific, as was noted, and they also
got creamed by Oklahoma. Things were looking bleak, but he did a good job of rallying the team to a 5-3 Big 10 record, and it easily could have been 6-2 were it not for what happened in the
Iowa game a week after the Michigan game.

I think Gutey gets beat up too much...four six win seasons when his non-conference schedule included Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, California, Washington State and Pittsburgh...he beat Michigan and also Iowa when they were going to the Rose Bowl...destroyed Iowa in Iowa City in 1989...today's standards, he would have coached in four bowl games...likeable guy...I think he'll always be remembered and perhaps disliked for the Pacific loss and the blown Ohio State game.

I agree

I think Gutey gets beat up too much...four six win seasons when his non-conference schedule included Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, California, Washington State and Pittsburgh...he beat Michigan and also Iowa when they were going to the Rose Bowl...destroyed Iowa in Iowa City in 1989...today's standards, he would have coached in four bowl games...likeable guy...I think he'll always be remembered and perhaps disliked for the Pacific loss and the blown Ohio State game.

Gutey also had improved the teams Graduation rates. He was, and I hope, nice guy too. I hope he's not disliked. I'm not sure how many people remember him.

Fondly. I don't think he was any fan's first choice to succeed Holtz, but he was the
players'. Given that, he did turn in 4 winning seasons in 6 years at the helm, and had some
nice wins. In the end, he suffered from the same things other Gopher coaches have at the U,
including the Dome.

Top Bottom