SI.com preview

They're only experts if they say nice things about your team.;)

Ya know Hodger, they predicted the same thing in Brewster's 1st year in 2007 and this board was up in arms then - and they ended up being dead on. Not saying the Gophs are a last place team but until they prove otherwise, the so called experts have every right to predcit what they predict.

Ya know Hodger, they predicted the same thing in Brewster's 1st year in 2007 and this board was up in arms then - and they ended up being dead on. Not saying the Gophs are a last place team but until they prove otherwise, the so called experts have every right to predcit what they predict.

:clap:...well said.

No one said they didn't have the right to predict whatever they wish to. What has been said is that it is just possible they might not be correct.

No argument Art. I can see a scenario where the Gophers finish 11th this season (they have the misfortune of not getting to play Indiana or Michigan), but I also can envision a scenario where if things fall right they can finish 6th or 7th. I'm more in the 5-7, 2-6 camp, but the nice thing for the Gophers is most of their toughest games are at home.

No argument Art. I can see a scenario where the Gophers finish 11th this season (they have the misfortune of not getting to play Indiana or Michigan), but I also can envision a scenario where if things fall right they can finish 6th or 7th. I'm more in the 5-7, 2-6 camp, but the nice thing for the Gophers is most of their toughest games are at home.

Yep, lots of swing games that could go either way. There isn't a single game on the schedule that isn't winnable to some extent. OSU lost at home to Purdue last year. Why couldn't the same happen at TCF this year? You certainly can't rule it out.

Conversely, outside of the SoDak game, there isn't another game that is a complete lock to win.

You're right about them having the right, actually it's part of their job, most of them anyway. They aren't going to be familiar with every team, looking at their analysis tells you that, so looking at the schedule, the Offense's performance, the loss of starters etc. it would be surprising if the didn't pick them to have a lousy season.

It's the other point where you're probably way off. There wasn't an expert in the COUNTRY who thought they'd go 1-11. I'd doubt you'd have found one who predicted 3 or less wins. Conversely they were probably very few who thought they'd go 7-6 in 2008 and make a bowl game. SI's Mandel famously predict one of Mason's last teams to be the "sleeper pick" to win the Big Ten and it's doubtful that anybody had his 2003 team going 10-3 and winning a bowl game.

So yeah, they can be wrong.

Top Bottom