Oto

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
did i miss something, like the ncaa's decision? on his fb it said he was flying to the USA and he was excited, good news? anyone in the know?:confused:

did i miss something, like the ncaa's decision? on his fb it said he was flying to the USA and he was excited, good news? anyone in the know?:confused:

He's likely just flying back to Illinois. Don't think there is a final NCAA yay or nay as of yet.

My Guess

NCAA Clearinghouse is concentrating on last minute football Y or N decisions.

Basketball Y or N may not come until September or even October.

This is just an assumption, but I don't think he'll be playing with us. The scholarship situation right now just does not add up.

This is just an assumption, but I don't think he'll be playing with us. The scholarship situation right now just does not add up.

Unless they've already given it to Dawson, Halverson, Allen or Sharp, there should be one left for this year (Oto's). I think that you are right though. I doubt he'll be playing this year.

Unless they've already given it to Dawson, Halverson, Allen or Sharp, there should be one left for this year (Oto's). I think that you are right though. I doubt he'll be playing this year.

Allen is on football scholarship. The 12th scholarship goes to Chip Armelin. The 13th would go to Oto Osenieks if he enrolls.

How could they wait until October when school starts very shortly?

My understanding (not well versed here, admittingly, but..)... the NCAA Clearinghouse is looking at eligibility to play sports -- not whether a student may be admitted to a university. They don't *need* to rule on a student-athlete's status by the time school starts...

It can get frustrating... all information needed might be provided.. and a student, their institituion, past institutions, etc.. may have all done their part, but it becomes a waiting game. The Clearinghouse isn't out to screw people over - obviously the quicker an answer, the better for all parties involved, but it can take a long time.

I can think of several players that had attended schools in other countries during high school that were not cleared until late August last year... I can also think of several that had likely amateurism issues, for which there were ultimately suspensions handed out, but not until late October... and later..

At any rate, I would hope there would be some clarity on Oto in the next two weeks. A year ago, he was a 2011... maybe he'll be a 2011 again.

Would not be surprised at: (a) Goes to Brehm for another year, recruiting is opened up and he winds up somewhere other than MN... then again, would not be surprised at (b) he is cleared and is at the U for the first day of fall classes... or a number of other possibilities.

Gotta be frustrating for him, so in that respect hopefully (b) occurs.

My understanding (not well versed here, admittingly, but..)... the NCAA Clearinghouse is looking at eligibility to play sports -- not whether a student may be admitted to a university. They don't *need* to rule on a student-athlete's status by the time school starts...

It can get frustrating... all information needed might be provided.. and a student, their institituion, past institutions, etc.. may have all done their part, but it becomes a waiting game. The Clearinghouse isn't out to screw people over - obviously the quicker an answer, the better for all parties involved, but it can take a long time.

I can think of several players that had attended schools in other countries during high school that were not cleared until late August last year... I can also think of several that had likely amateurism issues, for which there were ultimately suspensions handed out, but not until late October... and later..

At any rate, I would hope there would be some clarity on Oto in the next two weeks. A year ago, he was a 2011... maybe he'll be a 2011 again.

Would not be surprised at: (a) Goes to Brehm for another year, recruiting is opened up and he winds up somewhere other than MN... then again, would not be surprised at (b) he is cleared and is at the U for the first day of fall classes... or a number of other possibilities.

Gotta be frustrating for him, so in that respect hopefully (b) occurs.

I think John Wall wasn't cleared until after school started at UK last year.

I doubt Minnesota will enroll Oto if they don't expect him to be eligible to play basketball.

Is it possible he is flying to MN to get ready for next week's practice? Did anyone checkout the airport? Where is a super sleuth when we need one?!

Top Bottom