More Dominoes Falling....

Makes sense. If BYU does leave, the MWC is pretty dead. Adding these two will help, but will absolutely KILL the WAC.

The MWC is especially dead if rumors of Boise St. reneging and re-joining the WAC come true.

The only way I see this impacting the current BCS conferences is if somehow the Big12 feels the need to act... which is unlikely, but not completely out of the question.

EDIT: Or I suppose if they decide to form a super-conference, and become a BCS conference...

AP article on the Strib site says this is a done deal.

TCU is the class of that MWC conference.

If the Big 12 would have dissolved...it would have screwed Kansas and Missouri and ISU.

Smaller schools than Minn for sure...but more than Iowa??

I feel we should count ourselves fortunate to be a part of the Big Ten....and the shrewd moves that Delaney has directed the league.

It could have been the Big Ten and Minn might have been left in the dust had PSU, OSU, Mich and others left for the SEC or something dumb like that.

Don't like that Nebraska joined the Big Ten...but it is far better than what Kansas and Missouri and ISU would be facing even now in the Big 12. Imbalance of revenue with TX. They are doomed to be 2nd rate for a long time with that arrangement.

Big Ten splits revenue from TV and bowls equally....a big help for MN....and we can now begin to be on par with revenue with out new stadium.

Sorry for the rambling...

Go Gophers!

GM

If the Big 12 had gone under, the MWC would have likely absorbed the leftovers from the Big 12, and the MWC would have become the next BCS conference. If the Big 12 had gone under, this would have left 5 BCS conferences, and there was no way that the Pac-10 was going to get two autobids, so some conference would have gotten the 6th BCS autobid, and the MWC would have been in the best position to get it.

Now, the WAC and the MWC are like to rickety towers, each trying to pull blocks from the other to stay up. If Fresno State and Nevada leave, the WAC is very much weakened. BYU might rethink going independent if it means all of their other sports are in a much weakened WAC. The WAC might have to expand to survive, and that might mean adding some of the northern I-AA schools.

From Reno/Tahoe TV Station Website

Nevada President, AD and Basketball Coach talk about why they are heading to the MWC. They site the chance to be in the same conference as UNLV again as a major reason. The also talk about the $5,000,000 exit fee and ridding themselves of the Hawaii and LA Tech trips.

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/101041579.html

If the WAC collapses, is there anyone to pay the exit fee to? The WAC will be losing the three teams that finished 1,2 and 3 according to Sagarin. With the loss of Boise, Fresno Sate and Nevada, the average Sagarin rating of the WAC drops from 76 to 112. This also means the WAC needs to expand, as they would be down to 6 teams. If the WAC gets down to 1 team, can that one team demand the $5,000,000 exit fee? The WAC would probably expand by getting I-AA teams to make the jump to I-A, I can't see any I-A teams interested in moving over to the WAC now. Montana has been making some noises about moving to I-A. Perhaps some of the more western Sun Belt teams might consider the move, but this is doubtful too. A weakened WAC doesn't look much better, if at all better, than the Sun Belt. This also makes BYU's move to be an independent less likely, as they were planning on playing about half their football games against WAC teams, now this could really weaken their schedule.

So, the MWC gets stronger, while even the continued existence of the WAC is in question.

Well, there is UTEP, which is by far the western outlier of the C-USA. Not sure if they would be interested in leaving though.

And obviously Montana has a very, very strong program. They surely could compete in the WAC.

The longer this goes on, the more anxious the remaining WAC teams will get. No one wants to be the last rat of the sinking ship.

Montana and Idaho State will move to WAC

That could happen, then it would leave the Big Sky looking for a couple new teams. The dominoes keep falling. All because the Big Ten moved one domino... It's good to be the mover rather than the moved. Sure, some will say that Colorado moved before Nebraska, but Colorado only jumped ship because they knew Nebraska was going.

Top Bottom