CFN Article on the Gophers

GO4INLALALAND

Reaction score
Below is a good article on the team for this upcoming year. I found it to be well reasoned and the author seems to have a good understanding of our team's strenghts and weaknesses. Enjoy.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/985499.html

Below is a good article on the team for this upcoming year. I found it to be well reasoned and the author seems to have a good understanding of our team's strenghts and weaknesses. Enjoy.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/985499.html

It'd be nice if he could still do enough research to avoid listing/talking about players like Thornton who aren't with the program anymore, but otherwise I'd say its a fair assessment looking from the outside in. I'm sure some will rag on him for being so hard on the LB corps, but to an outsider I can definitely see where LB could appear to be a major potential weakness given the success last year's group had.

are you kidding. That article was lame, he just spent a little more time illustrating how poorly a grasp he has on the team. I don't think that qualifies as well reasoned.

Paragraph one. Most fans do not consider this year a holding pattern for a new regime in 2011. Most believe 2011 will be the make or break year for Brewster.

Paragraph two: No problemo

Paragraph three: citing 67-0 shows his negative pandering. We got blown out in one game two years ago and played a tough game with a crappy offense last year. That my friends is progress. We lost to a underachieving Illinois team by three points. But beat a decent Michigan State team a week earlier.

Paragraph 4: Stupid. We are at Mason's level, not hoping to get to that level. And all that despite a tougher schedule. Personally I think we might even be beyond Mason's level.

Paragraph 5:The most telling of all to the authors ignorance. Clearly doesn't understand where the Defense was at at the end of the season, and how seamless the turnove is.

Paragraph 6: I can't argue, although I think we're going to find out that inexperienced is not the same thing as untalented.

Paragraph 7: Is just plain wrong. This is not a rebuilding year, it is the year the pieces finally are in place. Now we just need seasoning. The staff does not need a winning season to keep their jobs, only improvment pointing to success the following year.

The analysis that follows is not terrible, but does not add up to the drivel he starts the column off with.

Another piece of trash by a clueless wanna-be.

Sorry, six out of twenty four in the Big Ten is not the Mason level. And I do not know what a losing season will actually look like, but I would guess it would be too ugly.

Sorry, six out of twenty four in the Big Ten is not the Mason level. And I do not know what a losing season will actually look like, but I would guess it would be too ugly.

Quite true 'hurrin; but Mason's last two years his teams were 7-9 in the Big Ten and 13-12 overall and Brewster last two years they were 7-9 in the Big Ten and 13-13 overall. The one game difference is because there were bowl games in both the last two seasons.

So if getting to Mason's overall record then yeah, you're right. If it means getting back to where he left the program then on record alone, they're there going into this season.

The question becomes will they stay there?

This has been gone over before. Mason's numbers were not very pretty, and they compare quite neatly. Masonites have a funny way of remembering one decent season as the norm and an equally funny way of remembering one terrible Brewster season as norm.

The reality is quite different than you want to believe.

Quite true 'hurrin; but Mason's last two years his teams were 7-9 in the Big Ten and 13-12 overall and Brewster last two years they were 7-9 in the Big Ten and 13-13 overall. The one game difference is because there were bowl games in both the last two seasons.

So if getting to Mason's overall record then yeah, you're right. If it means getting back to where he left the program then on record alone, they're there going into this season.

The question becomes will they stay there?

I also just took a look at Mason's first three years in Big Ten play. Now he didn't go 6-17 they way Brewster did. Mason's teams went 8-16..

I'd like to take a tire iron to the car of any author who compares Mason and Brewster. Can't we all just agree that 1) Mason was average and 2) we haven't gotten over the hump with Brew yet?

Sorry, Brew is 6 and 18 in the Big Ten over three years. Mason was 8-16 in his first three, 10-14 in his last three. Let us make a deal about this former coach. If you will not misrepresent his record or Brews record, I will not refer to what is in the record book. Fair enough?

Sorry, Brew is 6 and 18 in the Big Ten over three years. Mason was 8-16 in his first three, 10-14 in his last three. Let us make a deal about this former coach. If you will not misrepresent his record or Brews record,I will not refer to what is in the record book. Fair enough?

"Quite true 'hurrin; but Mason's last two years his teams were 7-9 in the Big Ten and 13-12 overall and Brewster last two years they were 6-9 in the Big Ten and 13-13 overall. The one game difference is Brewster got to two Bowl games not one"

Yeah, you're right, looked it up Mason had two more Big Ten wins the first three years not one. Gordy, Loon and Wren would be proud of you and your use of the record book. :clap:

Sorry, Brew is 6 and 18 in the Big Ten over three years. Mason was 8-16 in his first three, 10-14 in his last three. Let us make a deal about this former coach. If you will not misrepresent his record or Brews record, I will not refer to what is in the record book. Fair enough?

Just out of curiosity, would you have been so zealous if someone had understated Brew's record and overstated Mason's?

Allow me to try one more time. According to my 2010 Gopher Media Guide, on page 212, Coach Brewster has won six Big Ten games, three in 2008, three in 2009. As he won zero in 2007, his career total is six BT wins, not seven.

Top Bottom