ESPN: BYU to leave MWC to become an independent in football

If the Big 12 had broken up, the MWC was poised to become the next BCS conference, but with the departure of Utah and BYU, it looks like this conference is falling on hard times. The WAC is only being held together by stiff exit fees. If you merged the top of the MWC and the WAC, you would still have a pretty good conference. BYU might just fall flat on its face. I'm sure the WAC would welcome them with open arms for football if this happened.

I, for one, think it's a pretty good move by BYU. Good tradition, built-in national fanbase, name recognition. They could schedule some home-and-home series against good competition and help themselves out a lot more than playing in a depleted MWC.

Or they could fall flat on their face. It looks like they will play about half of their games against WAC teams. It remains to be seen how well they will be doing in getting home and home games. They may have to wean themselves off WAC teams in the long run. It looks like they are trying to be the Texas of the WAC.

I suspect they could be weaning themselves off WAC/MWC football for a move to the Big 12...??? Is that crazy talk?

I suspect they could be weaning themselves off WAC/MWC football for a move to the Big 12...??? Is that crazy talk?

I was thinking Pac 10 (assuming the move to superconferences is still in play), but yeah...same difference.

I still say that Texas would like to eventualy go independant in FB.

I still say that Texas would like to eventualy go independant in FB.

Im sure Texas is watching BYU very closely to see exactly how they pull this off, if they do pull it off.

BYU and the Pac 10 would be a terrible fit. It will never happen for a variety of reasons, religion obviously being the primary one. The question for BYU is going to be if they can get on TV enough.

It's not that the object to BYU being in the Pac-10, it's just that when two representatives from BYU show up at their doors, they just get the wrong idea and pretend not to be at home. :D

Top Bottom