Enough about the officiating already

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
There's nothing going on that you didn't know was going to happen. The Rodents are playing like crap and it has next to nothing to do with the officiating.

They're playing like we should expect them to; young and inexperienced.

This season is a marathon, not a sprint. It's a building process, a learning process for a young and growing team. This kind of a game is just another step along the way.

It's business as usual at Kohl Center, every Big Ten Team, players, fans and coaches can all see it. What is considered tuff, aggressive defense on one end of the court is a foul on the other. Every team gets calls at home, but at Kohl it's a completely different game. Thats the way it's been for awhile and it won't change anytime soon. Even with the huge difference in fouls and free throws, we aren't close to playing well enough to win this game, Wisconsin isn't playing all that well either, both teams are shooting around 40% and a combined 6 of 25 from three, the line is where the difference is. Alot of turnovers, we need Blake to get out of this slump bad.

It's business as usual at Kohl Center, every Big Ten Team, players, fans and coaches can all see it. What is considered tuff, aggressive defense on one end of the court is a foul on the other. Every team gets calls at home, but at Kohl it's a completely different game. Thats the way it's been for awhile and it won't change anytime soon. Even with the huge difference in fouls and free throws, we aren't close to playing well enough to win this game, Wisconsin isn't playing all that well either, both teams are shooting around 40% and a combined 6 of 25 from three, the line is where the difference is. Alot of turnovers, we need Blake to get out of this slump bad.

The officials missed one of the most obvious goal tending calls ever, completely giving this team the momentum. Please don't whine about the officials after they missed that one.

Okay, Okay, I admit, I was bitching about the refs a bit :eek:

It's easy to do when you haven't won in Madison in, like, what seems like forever. As I said in the game thread, I actually do respect Bo and his staff a ton. They always maximize what they have, play good, sound basketball and do the conference proud come tournament time.

It's just that a lot of times in basketball, the difference between a good call and a bad call is so miniscule, I genuinely marvel at some the trends referees establish.

The officials missed one of the most obvious goal tending calls ever, completely giving this team the momentum. Please don't whine about the officials after they missed that one.

Assuming you're talking about the Carter's block on Bohannan? If so, I've replayed it about 10x's, and IMO, it's just an amazing play. Not goaltending.

We'll trade it for the 10 bad fouls called against the Gophers. Otherwise, here's a little cheese :) to go with YOUR whine.

I think there were some bad calls both ways. While the Carter block may have been questionable, the 3rd and 4th fouls called on DJ were just flat wrong. There was a call on Hughes at the end for reaching in on Westbrook that looked like it may have been clean. Overall, I would tend to agree with Ogee that the officials didn't really tilt too far in either direction.

That being said, there is something about watching Bo Ryan have a conniption every time something goes against Bucky that gets the blood boiling. If you only watched the reactions of the two coaches, you'd think Tim Donaghy was calling this one with a dime on 'sota.

How can the Refs at the Kohl center not be an issue when the Announcers say that the Badgers having more than double the free throws is a "part of their game."

What the F does that mean? A part of their game? You can't plan an offense around free throws unless you are banking on one sided reffing, which was the case last night.

The refs called a balanced game. I thought both teams had very equal gripes. In the end, Wisconsin had much more strength inside and more under control drives to the basketball, this got them to the line more. I thought Ted Hilary bailed the Gophers out a couple times, but I will take it. The Gophers got down by 14 and battled back like a good team. Have any of the people complaining about officials ever officiated a game? If is was easy you all would do it.

Top Bottom