Trevor Mbakwe is expected to remain with the team and will begin practice Monday.

Reaction score
CHARLEY WALTERS
Pioneer Press
Updated: 08/17/2010 09:02:47 PM CDT
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_15809315

University of Minnesota men's basketball coach Tubby Smith said Tuesday that Trevor Mbakwe is expected to remain with the team and will begin practice Monday.

"We did visit, and I think he's ready to proceed and remain here," Smith said. "He's got to do his things, fulfill his obligations of 100 hours of community service, but that doesn't have anything to do with him playing."

The 6-foot-8, 240-pound Mbakwe has agreed to perform 100 hours of community service as part of a pretrial intervention program in exchange for dropping felony assault charges against him in Miami. Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi will allow Mbakwe to play this season if his case is resolved.

Smith said Mbakwe would be with the Gophers when they begin practice Monday for a series of exhibition games in Canada.

"We expect to take him with us to Canada," Smith said.

Smith said Mbakwe is needed.

"He'll bring rebounding and a real physical presence that's needed," he said.

Trevor, via facebook:

"It was tough but if Brett Farve can make a comeback I can give gopher nation 2 years they won't forget."

if i was him i woulda pulled a brett, stayed outta practiced, then anouned the day of the trip. :) thats what i woulda done lol

2 year comment is special, i can only hope, senior devoe, trevor, colt, sampson, junior rodney, soph walker and hollins and eliason, freshman coleman and tharpe? crossing my fingers. thats a b10 contender if not title conteder

Good stuff, we need his physicality down low. I'm not expecting greatness from him, but he fills a serious need on this team and that alone could be worth a good amount of wins.

Top Bottom