Any kickers on the recruiting radar

Rickman55

Banned
Reaction score
for next year? We are going to need someone to replace Ellestad.

You're kidding right? Have you seen Schwerman kick? And the sophomore, who has ever heard of him?

I'm hoping we don't regret losing that Colorado kid to UCLA. I know a lot of people here mocked him for his being offended by Goldy's antics last year, but he looks like the real deal.

Before the Goldy incident, it was rumored that he would commit to UCLA if they offered. We were his #2 school all along - the Goldy incident gave him cover for switching his commitment after receiving the Bruin offer.

The kid from Colorado is a freak...you don't need a kicker with a messed up head

Yeah, it would be a shame to have a kicker that can nail 50+ yard bombs...

If there is an opportunity, and there will be. Kickers will show up. No need to worry.

Unless it is one of the top 2-3 kickers in the country I don't think you offer a scholarship. Let them walk-on and earn a scholarship, imo.

YES!!!

Unless it is one of the top 2-3 kickers in the country I don't think you offer a scholarship. Let them walk-on and earn a scholarship, imo.

Single most intelligent thing I've read on here in a long time!!

WHY would you spend one out of 85 scholarships on a guy who could determine the outcome of 3-4 games per year, along with field position on kickoffs.

I am actually speechless. Seriously.

Single most intelligent thing I've read on here in a long time!!

WHY would you spend one out of 85 scholarships on a guy who could determine the outcome of 3-4 games per year, along with field position on kickoffs.

I am actually speechless. Seriously.

So if the next Jan Stenerud walked up and said, "I wanna be a Gopher," you'd say "Tryouts are next summer, kid"?

dpo...

So if the next Jan Stenerud walked up and said, "I wanna be a Gopher," you'd say "Tryouts are next summer, kid"?

I WAS being slightly (dripping) sarcastic. The lack of respect for special teams and the kicking game never ceases to amaze me. I know for some folks it is apparently still en vogue (and juvenile) to bash kickers. Never have figured that out.

Without Adam Vinatieri, I would argue that Tom Brady and his Patriots would have NO Super Bowl rings this decade. What would the perception of Tom Brady be then?

I'm just saying a top notch kicker should be one of the higher recruiting priorities for the staff. Not having a reliable kicker for his first couple of years cost Brewster BIG TIME. I can't COUNT how many times not having a really good placekicker affected the strategy and play-calling during games, once the Rodents crossed mid-field, for that first year or two. It changes EVERYTHING.

I WAS being slightly (dripping) sarcastic. The lack of respect for special teams and the kicking game never ceases to amaze me. I know for some folks it is apparently still en vogue (and juvenile) to bash kickers. Never have figured that out.

Without Adam Vinatieri, I would argue that Tom Brady and his Patriots would have NO Super Bowl rings this decade. What would the perception of Tom Brady be then?

I'm just saying a top notch kicker should be one of the higher recruiting priorities for the staff. Not having a reliable kicker for his first couple of years cost Brewster BIG TIME. I can't COUNT how many times not having a really good placekicker affected the strategy and play-calling during games, once the Rodents crossed mid-field, for that first year or two. It changes EVERYTHING.

My apologies. My sarcasm meter must be on the fritz this morning.

I agree with you 100%.

(Plus, Adam Vinatieri is from SD. Since all people from SD are awesome, he is therefore, by default, awesome.)

If the kid is good, you offer. But it's not like there's 120 great kickers out there, it's limited supply. You just don't wanna offer a subpar kicker just cause you need one. I think that was his main point.

Schwerman

You're kidding right? Have you seen Schwerman kick? And the sophomore, who has ever heard of him?

If there is an opportunity, and there will be. Kickers will show up. No need to worry.

Yes, I've seen him kick. His pedigree is good, and Butler is a good ST coach.

Prepped at Kettle Moraine (Wis.) High School • two-time All-Classic 8 Conference performer • also a two-time all-area selection • named all-state following his senior season in 2007 • helped lead Kettle Moraine to the Wisconsin State Playoffs in 2004 and 2007 • earned four letters • holds his school’s record for most points in a career •

There are lots of very good kickers out there there that don't get scholarships. Most HS kickers might get a dozen FG attempts a season, which isn't much to guage ability. If you have a strong leg, as indicated by the ability to kick-off deeply, technique can be coached.

Rhys Lloyd was an average kicker with a strong leg. Ask Wisconsin how they feel about him.

As for the present, Ellestad is going to have a big year. He was one of the top 3 kickers at the Gary Zauner camp this summer. He has tightened up his approach, compacted his run up to the ball, and has gained leg strength.

There is a near infinite difference between saying that only the top 2 or 3 kickers in the country should be offered scholarships and talking about whether or not there are 120 top kickers. A kicker can make a huge difference for a team. It can add up to a lot of points. If you don't have a good kicker, there are kicks you don't even bother to attempt. Plus there is all the free yardage you give away on kickoffs by not having a good kicker.

Special teams are too easily underappreciated. You don't appreciate a good long snapper until you have a bad one. A good punter who can drop the ball inside the 20 is a huge benefit. If you are willing to offer a scholarship to a kicker, its much more likely that you will be able to attract a better kicker than if you just take whoever shows up.

I guess I just really don't think Brewster is the type of guy who would undervalue special teams. He seems to esteem them pretty highly actually, so I think if he felt there was a kicker out there who is better than Schwerman, then he'll go after him. If he doesn't, he'll pass. Kip Smith was one of those kids, unfortunately he didn't sign. But that doesn't mean you just offer the next up if you feel like he's not better than what you have.

They gave Orseske a scholly (not likely top 2-3 punter in the nation in high school), so they'll offer whomever they think will help them, even if he isn't top 2-3 in the nation. I've also heard some good things about Schwerman.

Go Gophers!!

Let me try and clear this up.

1.) GopherG is a Nebraska fan first, foremost and always.
2.) Nebraska always wins by at least 30 points or more. The exceptions being any loss in the precious 25 years and they were all caused by Cosgrove coaching their Defense.

Therefore, kickers are never really necessary because the margin of victory is NEVER under 7 points so field postion and field goal kickers are of little concern; UNLESSI] Cosgrove is your Defensive Coordinator. Then you will probably need every point you can get hence the exception allowing scholarship offers to the very top kickers in the country.

I hope that helps.;)

They gave Orseske a scholly (not likely top 2-3 punter in the nation in high school), so they'll offer whomever they think will help them, even if he isn't top 2-3 in the nation. I've also heard some good things about Schwerman.

Go Gophers!!

Actually I think he was. If I recall his kickoff was above average too, though I doubt they'll use him for that.

Let me try and clear this up.

1.) GopherG is a Nebraska fan first, foremost and always.
2.) Nebraska always wins by at least 30 points or more. The exceptions being any loss in the precious 25 years and they were all caused by Cosgrove coaching their Defense.

Therefore, kickers are never really necessary because the margin of victory is NEVER under 7 points so field postion and field goal kickers are of little concern; UNLESSI] Cosgrove is your Defensive Coordinator. Then you will probably need every point you can get hence the exception allowing scholarship offers to the very top kickers in the country.

I hope that helps.;)

I never said kickers were not important, just don't feel that there are that many truly great can't miss kickers out there that you should out of high school spend a scholarship on immediately. Let a guy walk-on and if he performs reward him with a scholarship.

I played football with the kicker from colorado "kip" these past couple years and you guys are so far off about what he is like so quit assuming he decommitted from you guys because the mascot made fun of a player, that had nothing to do with it, mostly because it is colder than heck in minnesota and you guys aren't really winning a whole bunch of games, so why would he go freeze his ass off for a team that goes 6-6 every year? think about it....maybe next time you shouldn't assume you guys know these kids when really you dont at all

I think we are just really happy he's not here because then we'd have to put up with guys like you.

I played football with the kicker from colorado "kip" these past couple years and you guys are so far off about what he is like so quit assuming he decommitted from you guys because the mascot made fun of a player, that had nothing to do with it, mostly because it is colder than heck in minnesota and you guys aren't really winning a whole bunch of games, so why would he go freeze his ass off for a team that goes 6-6 every year? think about it....maybe next time you shouldn't assume you guys know these kids when really you dont at all

like ucla is so great at football.

i suppose if you're going to play for a crappy team it might as well be in the sunshine, eh?

I can only hope Kip Smith's hype man is as unintentionally hilarious as Zach Vraa's was a few months back...really would make my day

quit assuming he decommitted from you guys because the mascot made fun of a player, that had nothing to do with it

So not only is he a welcher who goes back on his word, now he's a liar, too? Because he said exactly that in an interview.

mostly because it is colder than heck in minnesota

Assuming you really are who you say you are, you are from Colorado. Do you realize it really doesn't get that much colder in Minnesota than it does in Colorado? Especially during football season:

9/11 (first home game) average high in Mpls: 73 Den: 79
10/23 (midpoint) Mpls: 54 Den: 61
11/27 (last home game) Mpls: 35 Den: 48

(Oh good, another weather-related discussion. Haven't had enough of those here lately.)

If he can't deal with 1 or 2 games where it gets below freezing (oh noooo!), then he is a pansy-ass and we didn't need his sorry-excuse-for-a-football-player ass here anyway.

and you guys aren't really winning a whole bunch of games, so why would he go freeze his ass off for a team that goes 6-6 every year?

Since 2003 (to cover UCLA's current and previous coaches):

UCLA 46-41 (.529)
Minn 44-44 (.500)

Ooops. Yup, how could we compete against the mighty Bruins and their storied traditions? I mean, they have a whole 2.9% more wins than us over the last seven years. (Never mind the fact that the Gophers had an historically bad season in there, without which we'd have even more wins than the mighty, storied Bruins. That school with their mighty one split national championship. I'm quaking in my fur-lined booties whilst sitting in my year-round ice shack.)

think about it....maybe next time you shouldn't assume you guys know these kids when really you dont at all

Why don't you educate yourself and learn something before you ever speak again on anything ever?

He wanted to go to UCLA, that's fine. He doesn't need to explain himself. But A. don't be a welcher and B. don't make up lame-ass excuses that aren't even accurate.

If you're telling the truth, a big "If" by the way, then while you may have played with him you obviously either weren't friends. As others have noted "Kip" was the one who gave the lame excuse about the mascot's action.

We all thought it was a lie. He's just a kid. Anyone who parades their values might need an excuse for breaking a commitment or just flat out lying. He's a kid who wanted to go to UCLA, who'd begrudge him that? Nearly everybody out here, those that cared, have gotten over it. Kip or not, "Smith isn't exactly an uncommon name.

But now you come on here, proclaim that you're a friend of his and then rather loudly state that Kip's a liar without any backbone. That's what a "friend" would do? :confused:

Troll, friend or idiot? We really don't care, but frankly it's entertaining thinking about you bringing your post to Master Smith while saying "See, I told them you were really lying all along".:clap:

Top Bottom