Bennett had a solid scrimmage over the weekend

I don't know if I should be excited that Bennett busted a 70 yard run or dissappointed that our defense gave up a 70 yard run. I do hope one of our running backs really steps up. If one of the RB steps up, we might have a really good offense.

So what he seems to be saying is that Bennett is the likely starter with Eskridge next and Kirkwood third.

Seems like Bennett over Eskridge. hmmmm.

I need a second opinion, Monk??!!

I'll have to get back to you. I stabbed myself with a spoon, heading to the ER.

Brewster commented that his teams effort in practice will produce about 6 to 7 wins this season. Should we blame the players for lack of effort or the coaches for not getting their players to practice at a higher level.

I liked this note in Fuller's blog entry:

"You rarely see football players showcase their jumping ability to the fullest. But I watched junior receiver Da'Jon McKnight clear one of the blocking dummies off a two-step jump Monday. McKnight, who claims a 43-inch vertical, spread his legs and soared right over the top. I really wanted to see it again, because I couldn't believe my eyes.

If the Gophers take advantage of McKnight's leaping ability more often this year, then quarterback Adam Weber will have a go-to target to replace Eric Decker for fades and jump ball passes in the red zone."

It would be nice to have options to keep the opposing D guessing.

I liked this note in Fuller's blog entry:

"You rarely see football players showcase their jumping ability to the fullest. But I watched junior receiver Da'Jon McKnight clear one of the blocking dummies off a two-step jump Monday. McKnight, who claims a 43-inch vertical, spread his legs and soared right over the top. I really wanted to see it again, because I couldn't believe my eyes.

If the Gophers take advantage of McKnight's leaping ability more often this year, then quarterback Adam Weber will have a go-to target to replace Eric Decker for fades and jump ball passes in the red zone."

It would be nice to have options to keep the opposing D guessing.

I'm buying what they're selling on McKnight. I think he's going to surprise some people.

Brewster commented that his teams effort in practice will produce about 6 to 7 wins this season. Should we blame the players for lack of effort or the coaches for not getting their players to practice at a higher level.

According to Phil's article, what Brewster said was that the team had substandard (6 or 7 win) effort in the morning practice, they talked about it as a team and in the afternoon things were much better. I believe it is the responsibility of the coaches to let the players know how they're performing, but in the end the coaches aren't going to take the field. If you rely on coach to motivate your players every time they take the field instead of relying on the players' intestinal fortitude you will have a mediocre team. IMHO.

6 or 7 wins

That would mean Brewster is talking with some sense for once. You mean he's not promising a national championship? With the difficult schedule this year I would be happy with that total. Next year I would expect more. Every preseason magazine and internet site has a finishing last or next to last. I am not pessimistic, I am a realist.

So what he seems to be saying is that Bennett is the likely starter with Eskridge next and Kirkwood third.

Seems like Bennett over Eskridge. hmmmm.

I need a second opinion, Monk??!!

That's been the general consensus. I think Bennett is definitely the better back. Last year we forget he was 1 year removed from an injury that almost always takes 2 years to heal completely physically and mentally. He's bigger and has more burst than Eskridge and is also a better receiver. I think Eskridge will be improved now that he's at a solid weight but I think Bennet is the guy.

You mean he's not promising a national championship?

When did he promise a conference championship, let alone a national?

(P.S. Stick to the basketball board. Seriously. Your negativity is not helpful.)

That would mean Brewster is talking with some sense for once. You mean he's not promising a national championship? With the difficult schedule this year I would be happy with that total. Next year I would expect more. Every preseason magazine and internet site has a finishing last or next to last. I am not pessimistic, I am a realist.

I'm just curious and I'm not saying it will happen, but IF you guys do have a bad year, do you think Brewster will still be around next season? Say Minny gets 6-6 this year...is that good enough to keep Brewster around? Granted you guys do have a tough schedule, but by reading many many posts on here, I almost feel as if Brewster's time is running short. Am I right?

I'm just curious and I'm not saying it will happen, but IF you guys do have a bad year, do you think Brewster will still be around next season? Say Minny gets 6-6 this year...is that good enough to keep Brewster around? Granted you guys do have a tough schedule, but by reading many many posts on here, I almost feel as if Brewster's time is running short. Am I right?

No

That's been the general consensus. I think Bennett is definitely the better back. Last year we forget he was 1 year removed from an injury that almost always takes 2 years to heal completely physically and mentally. He's bigger and has more burst than Eskridge and is also a better receiver. I think Eskridge will be improved now that he's at a solid weight but I think Bennet is the guy.

BOOOOOOO :D. I think Bennet should have the leg up if he can provide the burst and the strength at the point of attack. He has the bulk and touch to be effective in the passing game also.

I still have a chance though, since they are co-starters :D.

I would give Brewster at least another year. Look what the coaching carosel has done to our offense.

When did he promise a conference championship, let alone a national?

(P.S. Stick to the basketball board. Seriously. Your negativity is not helpful.)

We'll see if my negativity isnt helpful when everyone is calling for his head this season. I'm the patient realist. So all the experts are wrong. I just chose not to walk around with blinders on.

We'll see if my negativity isnt helpful when everyone is calling for his head this season. I'm the patient realist. So all the experts are wrong. I just chose not to walk around with blinders on.

Realism has nothing to do with being a condescending d*!khead. You come on the football board randomly every few months to make some snarky comment (not even based in reality) that a Hogeye or Becky fan would make. It's in no way constructive.

Brewster didn't promise a conference championship, let alone a national championship. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't have the mental faculties to understand the difference between setting a goal and a promise. It OUGHT to be the goal of every coach to win their conference championship.

Thinking that the magazines say so, therefore it must be true doesn't make you a realist. Surely you must be able to reach your own conclusions, to evaluate whether the predictions are of value.

More proof

"There might be a battle still going on for the starting left tackle spot, but it's starting to seem like redshirt freshman Ed Olson's job to lose. Olson has lined up with the first-team offense for several practices now. But senior Dom Alford won't completely fall out of the picture, because he just has too much experience."

Experience is relative. Experience on a line that could barely generate 100 yards rushing, a line that gave up 33 sacks. Dom is a servicable backup. Olson is a Big 10 Left Tackle that will anchor future o lines. Could we see Olson, Bunders, Olson, Gjere, and Michel next year?

I have always thought that a good O line at Minnesota is a basic given. There are a lot of big genes in this state and the coaches should be able to find a couple such guys each year who can move their feet and lift some weights. If we can't do O line, what can we do?

I don't know if I should be excited that Bennett busted a 70 yard run or dissappointed that our defense gave up a 70 yard run. I do hope one of our running backs really steps up. If one of the RB steps up, we might have a really good offense.

+1

6-6 and Brewster stays. 3-9 and Brewster is gone. 4 or 5 wins and the decision on whether he stays or goes would depends on whom the victories came against.

This is the last year Brewster will be judged on the percieved improvement (by his superiors) of his program rather than by his record.

I think their are results that will make next year a %100 percent lock for Brew to return but I don't think the same thing applies to him losing his job.

It's is hard though to imagine us being improved and not achieving at least four victories though.

Brewster didn't promise a conference championship, let alone a national championship. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't have the mental faculties to understand the difference between setting a goal and a promise. It OUGHT to be the goal of every coach to win their conference championship.

Thinking that the magazines say so, therefore it must be true doesn't make you a realist. Surely you must be able to reach your own conclusions, to evaluate whether the predictions are of value.

Hey head in the clouds put some money on it.

Hey, guy-who-is-clearly-not-a-fan-of-the-Gopher-football-team, stick to the basketball board with the other fans of Gopher basketball. We enjoy having fans of the Gopher football team here, not negative d*uches.

Is your mind truly that diseased? Put money on ****WHAT????**** I didn't make any predictions.

I simply stated the fact that Brewster never promised a conference championship, only declared that to be his goal. Do you or do you not believe that a coach should have the goal of winning a conference championship.

I didn't even say that magazines were necessarily wrong. Just that "the magazines say so, therefore it must be correct" is inadequate.

Yet you seem to "think" that I have made a prediction. Please, get brain surgery before it is too late. Do it yourself at home if you must.

Top Bottom