MarQueis works with WR's

Great move IMO, get the best players on the field PERIOD

Redshirt your best player?

I know I'm going to get ripped for even suggesting this--- but hear me out... and then let me have it.

Would we be wise to redshirt Marqueis this season?

From what I understand his "freshman" year he was academically ineligible, so he hasn't burned that RS.

We're being told he's the quarterback of the future. While he will undoubtedly contribute no matter where he plays this year--- is that contribution worth a year of eligibility behind center?

I know Moses Alipate is supposedly looking good and could be a solid quarterback as well. I just think if Gray is the guy and the "gamechanger" at QB that so many on this message board think he is--- why aren't we clamoring for him to use the RS.

I know I'm going to get ripped for even suggesting this--- but hear me out... and then let me have it.

From what I understand his "freshman" year he was academically ineligible, so he hasn't burned that RS.

We're being told he's the quarterback of the future. While he will undoubtedly contribute no matter where he plays this year--- is that contribution worth a year of eligibility behind center?

I know Moses Alipate is supposedly looking good and could be a solid quarterback as well. I just think if Gray is the guy and the "gamechanger" at QB that so many on this message board think he is--- why aren't we clamoring for him to use the RS.

Let's say we are beating South Dakota by 5 touchdowns after 3 quarters. Do you give Queis a quarter of game experience or keep him out so he doesn't burn his shirt? What if we plan on shirting him and then Web gets hurt against Wisconsin? Players that are #2 on the depth chart aren't redshirted.

No...the drop off from Gray to Alipate is too great in case Weber gets hurt. Moses has talent, but it needs to be developed further.

On the other hand, I kind of like the idea of getting Gray into the game at WR. With the recent article about how proud the receiving corps is at blocking, I'm not sure that I want Gray mixing it up that way. I think that is just another way for him to get injured. It's like the Randy Moss conundrum when he was with the Vikings, I didn't want him to block down-field and risk injury. Personally, if it is a running play, I would want MarQueis to just run down the field, waving his right hand and yelling "throw it...I'm open". If a DB is chasing him, he's running away from the play, and that is just as good as a block in my book.

Yes, Gray could get hurt, but if he's making an impact on the field, you run that risk regardless. I doubt you're gonna see him blasting away in the running attack though, pretty sure he's gonna be in on passing situations more, or red zone "go up and get it" situations.

The simplest way to avoid getting hurt is not to play at all. We can't afford to hold back just because we're concerned that someone might get hurt, you never get the most out of your assets that way.

Jay Webb of the vikings looks a lot like Gray. They wanted him as a receiver but now he is back at qb.

At times I've wished that he took a RS last year in hindsight, but I'm not too worried about it. As is he'll have 2 years to be 'the man' and then Moses will have 1 year behind him there. The reason we're not clamoring for him to RS is because he needs to be the #2 QB this year and can potentially help us win games this year as well.

No problem with this

Gray might be the wrong guy in this system but with the way our line blocked last year his running could be a need at QB. That being said I would love to see him on the field somewhere because he is a great athlete who should help this team in any way possible. The question is can he get on the field enough at WR to make it worth while. If he is going to have 5 plays a game at WR I am not sure its worth it. If he is on the field say 20-25 plays and make something happen other than trick plays then we are talking about something of substance.

No...the drop off from Gray to Alipate is too great in case Weber gets hurt. Moses has talent, but it needs to be developed further.

On the other hand, I kind of like the idea of getting Gray into the game at WR. With the recent article about how proud the receiving corps is at blocking, I'm not sure that I want Gray mixing it up that way. I think that is just another way for him to get injured. It's like the Randy Moss conundrum when he was with the Vikings, I didn't want him to block down-field and risk injury. Personally, if it is a running play, I would want MarQueis to just run down the field, waving his right hand and yelling "throw it...I'm open". If a DB is chasing him, he's running away from the play, and that is just as good as a block in my book.

Poor MarQueis, 6'4" 230 pounder that struggles to clean 330 pounds. I think I would worry more about the DBs. ;)

I'm glad to see this since Green is dinged up again, grrrr on my prediction for him to break out big time.

There are players you would like to redshirt, but it's harder to land recruits if you plan on redshirting them. It's understandable, they are highly competitive people, and they want to be out there right away. But that extra year can make them so much better by their senior year.

Can you say Gray won any games for us last year we would've lost? I see his biggest impacts being in games we ultimately lost. (Cal, Ohio State, Iowa State).

I knew I'd be in the minority, but I'll keep on fighting. It's like--- if I give you ten dollars today will you give me twenty dollars tomorrow? I'd rather give up that cash today to get double the payout next year.

Can you say Gray won any games for us last year we would've lost? I see his biggest impacts being in games we ultimately lost. (Cal, Ohio State, Iowa State).

Debatable whether he actually won the game for us, but he was huge in the Northwestern game. He kept them off balance with his runs from the pocket which opened up the secondary for us to some extent.

I knew I'd be in the minority, but I'll keep on fighting. It's like--- if I give you ten dollars today will you give me twenty dollars tomorrow? I'd rather give up that cash today to get double the payout next year.

I see your point, but I think it was good to get him on the field partly cause he hadn't played in so long. With his injury his senior year, plus the lost year with the ACT score, Gray needed to get out there and play some live football I think. You definitely could argue a redshirt wouldn't have hurt though.

Don't forget, he was also our backup QB last season, so if Weber had gotten hurt, he was next in line. As noted earlier, you typically don't redshirt your #2 anything, especially QB if you're not comfortable with the other options.

if he doesn't learn to hold on to the football then he will not be worth giving any playing time to.

And you think #5 is ready?? I would honestly rather have alipate than Gray at QB. Move Gray to WR.

And you think #5 is ready?? I would honestly rather have alipate than Gray at QB. Move Gray to WR.

Apparently the coaches feel Gray is much further along than Alipate at this point. Remember Gray has been getting 2nd team reps for a full year while Moses has been running the scout team

Apparently the coaches feel Gray is much further along than Alipate at this point. Remember Gray has been getting 2nd team reps for a full year while Moses has been running the scout team

Oleboy, why do you always try and pick a fight with me? haha. All I heard this spring was how good Alipate was and how much he had developed. Plus, how would gopher nation feel if Brew's most prized recruit was now the 3rd string QB?? I think that has something to do with it.

Oleboy, why do you always try and pick a fight with me? haha. All I heard this spring was how good Alipate was and how much he had developed. Plus, how would gopher nation feel if Brew's most prized recruit was now the 3rd string QB?? I think that has something to do with it.

My bad, man. I really don't mean too. I only said that because of the quote from Brew yesterday about Moses needing a lot of work to be the #2 QB. I've honestly thought the same thing you said, in that if Gray shows he can be a great WR and Alipate shows that he's ready to reach his potential it would be interesting to see that in 2011

If GH were like facebook, I would send you a friend request.

All I have to say is get him out there. If he's okay with it I don't see anything detrimental about it.

Gray worked out with WR's last season.
You can't redshirt your backup QB, redshirts don't go on roadtrips always...you need your backup QB to be able to play. If he happens to be your best athlete (very well could be), you need him on the field. He was almost the gophers leading rusher last year in VERY limited action. He needs the ball in his hands (and keep it in his hands ie. no fumbles).

Gray is Brewster's test.

He is the best player on the team, and it might not even be close. He is the best pure, raw talent we've had since Brandon Owens. Yes, you read that right.

Figure it out coach!

Let's say we are beating South Dakota by 5 touchdowns after 3 quarters. Do you give Queis a quarter of game experience or keep him out so he doesn't burn his shirt? What if we plan on shirting him and then Web gets hurt against Wisconsin? Players that are #2 on the depth chart aren't redshirted.

Not that it matters because he won't be redshirted, but RS's are given out at the end of the year. So hypothetically, we could plan to redshirt Gray and he could even travel to away games and lets say Webber gets hurt in the middle of the season, well we could just play him.

Gray won't be RS though and it really doesn't make a difference.

Gray worked out with WR's last season.
You can't redshirt your backup QB, redshirts don't go on roadtrips always...you need your backup QB to be able to play.

QB's that are redshirting will typically travel with the team for emergency purposes. Alipate traveled with the team every game last year as the emergency #3 QB. Cupito did the same thing back when he was redshirting behind Khaliq and Kamrath.

I'm thinking they need to stick Weber or Alipate at tight end. Some people are saying that Gray is the best athlete on the team. If that's true then we need to stick him at punter. Greg Coleman always talks about punters being the best athletes on the team.

Top Bottom