Rivals - 10 teams that may not return to the big dance

Blizzard

Reaction score
We're still more than six months from March Madness, but, really, if you're a fan, it's never too early to discuss the NCAA tournament.

Here's a look at 10 teams that were seeded 12th or better last season that better not be making any NCAA reservations for this season. These teams have questions -- some of them of a serious nature -- and look more like NIT teams than NCAA squads.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1113716

Tubby's teams seem to always out-perform their talent level. I wouldn't count the Gophers out of the NCAA picture at all. Too bad Nebraska doesn't join until 2011, it'd be nice to have that doormat around to pad the record.

Doc will get nebraska ready for the big ten. they will be better than Iowa, nwestern, penn state, michigan and indiana this year. everyone is so high on nwestern but they will once again be 8-10 at best. 18 -12 overall and they will miss the dance. Doc Sadler can recruit and i believe this is his third year in the league down there. He loves the juco kids and i do believe that once he's in the big 10 he will get nebraska to the mid tier of the league.

everyone is so high on nwestern but they will once again be 8-10 at best. 18 -12 overall and they will miss the dance.

What on earth is the reasoning behind this? Respect the 'Cats. Nebraska was 12th in the B12 last year with a 2-14 ICR. It would be quite a leap of faith to predict that the Huskers finish middle of the pack in the B12 winning 5-6 more games in conference. Nebraska will be the doormat of B10 basketball at least for several rebuilding years.

I was high on Northwestern, but that was before Coble decided to not return. Now I don't think they're an NCAA tourney team.

As for Nebraska, I think they're a little better than people give them credit for, but there's reason to doubt that they will finish in the top half of the Big Ten/Twelve any time soon. I believe Sadler has had 4 years at Nebraska so far. They actually have a lot of younger guys who figure to be upperclassmen when they make the jump to the Big Ten in '11-12 and they're going to be in what looks like a down year for the Big Ten, so they might do fairly well that first year (finishing 5th or 6th could be reasonable, if the basketball gods smile on them). I expect them to typically be in the 8-9 range in the 12-team Big Ten - of course, whether the recruiting fortunes pick up in Lincoln will have a lot to do with whether they stay there.

As for the original post, I think there's a couple ways to do a column like that. It looks like they picked all teams that were in the lower half of the 12 seeds in their region (except ND). I actually think ND has a pretty good chance of making the NCAA tourney again, so I would not have put them on the list. If they wanted to go out on a limb on this column, they'd go after the higher seeded teams from last year such as: #2 seed WVU, #3 Baylor, #3 Georgetown, #3 New Mexico, #4 Vanderbilt (will have a rough schedule in the SEC East this year), #4 Wisconsin (probably should make it, but not a no-brainer), and #5 Texas A&M. If it were my column, I would have dropped Notre Dame and put Maryland (#4 seed last year) in their place. But obviously they were not willing to pick on teams higher seeded than #6. They picked pretty much all the lower-seeded mid-majors who lost some guys other than St. Mary's, Utah State and Old Dominion.

Top Bottom