Rittenberg: Horton on Gopher Offense

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:182630" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=artist%3D2017563%26vid%3D182630%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A182630" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div style="margin:0px;padding:4px;width:500px;text-align:center;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/fiasco__lupe/artist.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Lupe Fiasco</a> - <a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">New Music</a> - <a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/video/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">More Music Videos</a></div>

HUGE

THIS is one of the primary reasons I expect the offense to be considerably better this year.

The complexity of the offense and the subsequent hesitancy/uncertainty of the players is the single largest contributor to the number of penalties the Rodents racked up last year. Too much thinking.

Even without a large number of returning players, for this reason alone I would expect the offense to be significantly better. I think people are underestimating the trickle-down effects of Fisch's circus last year. Penalties is at the top of that list.

Interesting that he considers our RB's co-starters. I wonder if that will change in the weeks ahead?

This is all great but Weber still needs to hit open receivers, the O-line still needs to block, and the WR's still need to catch the ball. As much of a goober Jebidiah Fisch was, he could only control so much.

Interesting that he considers our RB's co-starters. I wonder if that will change in the weeks ahead?
Not really, I mean you can't expect a clear leader between Kirkwood and Edwards this early on.

This is all great but Weber still needs to hit open receivers, the O-line still needs to block, and the WR's still need to catch the ball. As much of a goober Jebidiah Fisch was, he could only control so much.

True, but the point is that Fisch's decisions put everyone you list above at a disadvantage. WR's were being asked to make complex read/react decisions at the line (that only Decker could do). Weber was being asked to throw timing routes (possibly his worst throwing skill) using a new throwing motion to receivers that he had to trust to be there of the aformentioned read/react decisions. The O-Line...well, a lot of their issues are on them. Same would be true of WR's catching the ball, but as I recall dropsies weren't a huge prob last year.

This is the exact reason I am hopeful this year. Last year we were clearly running a Chinese Firedrill of an offense (I apologize for any PC shortcoming here). We were clueless either running or throwing. Even so, we finished the regular season 6-6.

This could only happen if, as I expect, Brewster had actually brought in some superior athletes. Otherwise we would have been 3-9. This year we are reloading with even more of these superior athletes at the same time we are simplifying our schemes. We should be a lot better if only two good things happen. First, the offense understands the scheme and can sustain two additional long drives per game. Secondly, the offense, in a mode of understanding, avoids a bunch of stupid penalties.

How good can we be? 8-4 would be an amazing year, but is doable. Simplicity beats Illinoin and Purdue, but probably not Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU or USC. Next year, the schemes will be ratcheted up an additional set of recruits will be here and hopefully we'll have the same coaching staff.

I could never make "heads or tails" with Fisch's play-calling sequences. It reminded me of the old Smokey Joe Salem days of "we can't beat them head-to-head, so we have to try something else." That's no way to play the game.

I don't know if we'll have success or not, but I think we finally have the kind of Big 10 offensive co-ordinator you need to build a solid program. I have nothing against spread formations, but I think it's easier to "spread" out of a consistent straight-ahead framework than vice-versa.

Who could ever forget Matt Stommes lining up in the slot?

Good times.

jump_the_shark.gif

Top Bottom