Otto??

thiscouldbouryr

Reaction score
Its been pretty quiet on the Otto front for some time. anything new on Otto and does any one know if Nolen made it through the summer? Was everyone else enrolled this past summer and ready to go? thanks, i'll hang up and listen.

There is a thread about Myron's Mysterious tweet that pertains to Oto. According to Chris Monter, it does not appear that Oto will be cleared to play this year and will therefore redshirt and be here next year.

From everything I have heard, Al will be back this season.

And everyone, except for Chip and Oto, were in summer school and are eligible to practice in August and the Canada trip.

According to Chris Monter, it does not appear that Oto will be cleared to play this year and will therefore redshirt and be here next year.

If Oto isn't cleared to play this year, does that count as a redshirt year or does the redshirt alternative only count from the time a player is cleared/ eligible to play?

Marcus' tweet a few minutes ago:

"Oto Oseniek's situation hasn't been decided yet. There still is a chance he can join the Gophers, although it might not look good."

Go Gophers!!

we might need to pass on Oto as well, because with the signing of chip and return of trevor, oto's scholly leaves us with 2 if my math is right. Tharpe and Coleman are nice gets, but why not have Tharpe, Coleman, Oglesby or Tharpe Coleman Brogdon

we might need to pass on Oto as well, because with the signing of chip and return of trevor, oto's scholly leaves us with 2 if my math is right. Tharpe and Coleman are nice gets, but why not have Tharpe, Coleman, Oglesby or Tharpe Coleman Brogdon

Are you honestly worried about scholarships after what we just went through? Yes there's 2 right this second. But Trevor may only play one year. Ralph could break out and go pro. Ahanmisi or others could transfer. I think it's safe to say we'll have at least 3 scholarships for next year, probably more.

a recruiting class of Tharpe and Coleman is just fine with me (replacing an exiting PG and SG with a PG and SG)

But many believe Trevor will go pro after this season and that would open another scholly.

Plus, no one expected to have as many as we did this year, always possible something similar will happen again.

heres my problem with late signings, 1. not the cream of the crop, 2. If they dont work out and want to leave, they leave in the spring, sometimes late in the spring when all the targets you had before are now committed elsewhere, i dont want that cycle to keep happening, shouldve banked ahanmisi's and armelins schollys, now we should use or bank oto's

Are you honestly worried about scholarships after what we just went through? Yes there's 2 right this second. But Trevor may only play one year. Ralph could break out and go pro. Ahanmisi or others could transfer. I think it's safe to say we'll have at least 3 scholarships for next year, probably more.

Now that's thinking ahead! I like it.

heres my problem with late signings, 1. not the cream of the crop, 2. If they dont work out and want to leave, they leave in the spring, sometimes late in the spring when all the targets you had before are now committed elsewhere, i dont want that cycle to keep happening, shouldve banked ahanmisi's and armelins schollys, now we should use or bank oto's

Gophers signed full classes in fall 2008 and 2009 (none in spring 2009 or 2010) and I'd guess they will sign full class in fall 2010 (none in spring 2011).

Some recent SPRING recruits (by others) include John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Brandon Knight, and Terrence Jones. Pretty much cream of the crop (type) players in 2009 or 2010 HS ranks.

Banking scholarships is (flat out) dumb.

not dumb at all, we have a nice shot at oglesby, brogdon, hollins, travis if we bank 1, all will be better than ahanmisi. and im talking about the kind of recruits the gophs can legit land, oglesbys hollins, colemans, all who are gonna commit in the fall. so lets say we get tharpe coleman, oglesby commits to Iowa cause we have no room, same for brogdon and hollins they move along. spring comes ahanmisi and armelin transfer, who do we sign? ahanmisi 2.0? what good does that do us?

not dumb at all, we have a nice shot at oglesby, brogdon, hollins, travis if we bank 1, all will be better than ahanmisi. and im talking about the kind of recruits the gophs can legit land, oglesbys hollins, colemans, all who are gonna commit in the fall. so lets say we get tharpe coleman, oglesby commits to Iowa cause we have no room, same for brogdon and hollins they move along. spring comes ahanmisi and armelin transfer, who do we sign? ahanmisi 2.0? what good does that do us?

Two guards (to be) signed in 2011 class is plenty. Two redshirts (F and C) from 2010 class makes more sense to me.

From what I've read, it seems highly likely Mbakwe wants to test NBA waters after this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if Sampson and/or Joseph tried as well. (Yes, I know they're obviously not ready, but in this day and age that doesn't stop anyone).

Moreover, Armelin was a last minute substitute signee and Ahanmisi seemed like a practice body signee...if they don't show anything in practice and our recruiting picks up, next year one of them could be politely moved out the door to a mid major.

In short, a shortage of schollies should be our last concern.

you didnt answer my question, what you said doesnt even make sense come to think of it. were not talking about eliason here, were talkig about oto, chip, and maverick, and wether they're worth it or not when they project to be decent role players in the BEST case senario

Gophers signed full classes in fall 2008 and 2009 (none in spring 2009 or 2010) and I'd guess they will sign full class in fall 2010 (none in spring 2011).

Some recent SPRING recruits (by others) include John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Brandon Knight, and Terrence Jones. Pretty much cream of the crop (type) players in 2009 or 2010 HS ranks.

Completely depends on the situation. Thinking that we would get players like John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Brandon Knight, or Terrence Jones late in the game is pretty dumb to me. Why would you use a scholarship late in the game on someone who isn't D1 caliber when you could bank it and use it on a 3/4 star caliber player the next year who will actually contribute? Getting players just for the sake of filling a roster is flat out dumb.

thank you GOTR, thats what i was trying to get across, looks like we messed it up this year by signing chip and maverick so far.

"looks like we messed it up this year by signing chip and maverick so far."

Didn't you say our defense would be impenetrable with Chip in the rotation? Do you no longer think Chip is a worthwhile recruit?

Completely depends on the situation. Thinking that we would get players like John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Brandon Knight, or Terrence Jones late in the game is pretty dumb to me. Why would you use a scholarship late in the game on someone who isn't D1 caliber when you could bank it and use it on a 3/4 star caliber player the next year who will actually contribute? Getting players just for the sake of filling a roster is flat out dumb.

Just examples with name recognition. UK missed out on bigger names back in 2000 so they signed Gerald Fitch and Erik Daniels in spring of 2000. Both were lightly recruited but turned out to be NBA caliber players.

i think he could be a good defensive player, but offensive not so much.

you didnt answer my question, what you said doesnt even make sense come to think of it. were not talking about eliason here, were talkig about oto, chip, and maverick, and wether they're worth it or not when they project to be decent role players in the BEST case senario

Oto is a big F with good potential. Good decision to sign him.

Armelin is a promising SG with good athleticism. Another good decision.

Ahanmisi has some basketball skills. It remains to be seen if he can be PG or not.

There is a thread about Myron's Mysterious tweet that pertains to Oto. According to Chris Monter, it does not appear that Oto will be cleared to play this year and will therefore redshirt and be here next year.

From everything I have heard, Al will be back this season.

And everyone, except for Chip and Oto, were in summer school and are eligible to practice in August and the Canada trip.

Don't think your understanding on Oto is correct.

Not sure the Canadian trip comment is correct, either.

Don't think your understanding on Oto is correct.

Not sure the Canadian trip comment is correct, either.

As far as Oto, I was basing it off of this comment from Monter:

The talk has been for some time that Oto will not play this upcoming season and will have four years of eligibility remaining. That could change, but thw word is that it is unlikely that he will play for the Gophers this season.

Chris Monter

and this post ...

If what I'm hearing is true, if Oto follows through with his intentions of being a Gopher, basically he'll be a "forced" redshirt. Per the NCAA Clearinghouse, he'll be able to attend the U on scholarship but will be ineligible to play in games. He will be able to practice, etc., retain his 4 years.

I was simply trying to summarize the main points of the thread that had been already started about Oto.

I am unsure, however, what his status is as a Gopher or not a gopher if he is not cleared, and if it counts as a redshirt, or what it coults as.

And the Canada trip is open for freshman, is it not? The only ones whom I believe are not elgibable are Chip (wasn't at summer school - but can practice with the team), Oto (hasn't been cleared to play) and possibly Al (Eligability issue - not sure on this one)

what else did I say about Canada that was incorrect?

What's (flat out) dumb is comparing Oto, Ahamnisi, and Armelin to Wall, Knight, Cousins, and Jones. It might be worse then comparing Darko to Chis Webber. Amazin!!

What's (flat out) dumb is comparing Oto, Ahamnisi, and Armelin to Wall, Knight, Cousins, and Jones. It might be worse then comparing Darko to Chis Webber. Amazin!!

Again, as I explained earlier, I used names that are immediately recognizable. There are much less recognizable names signed in the spring who turn out to be very fine Div I basketball players.

Dan Monson used a scholership on a marginal prospect and couldn't offer Jon Leuer until after the player decided to transfer and it was to late. Flat out dumb not banking it.

Dan Monson used a scholership on a marginal prospect and couldn't offer Jon Leuer until after the player decided to transfer and it was to late. Flat out dumb not banking it.

He certainly COULD offer Leuer. Scholarships are good for 1 year only. He CHOSE NOT TO offer him but he easily could have done so. Gophers offered 4 in 2009 with only 2 openings. Busch and payton went elsewhere.

of the late signees otto is the only one that i feel could help us this year. the big canadian has the size and the body to contribute off of the bench to offset some fouls and to spell our other bigs (trevor, ralph, colton). the guards do nothing for me. i've spoken to others in the know who coach and recruit across the country and most feel that the guards were a reach. bodies non the less. who knows though. Otto slipped under the radar because most recruiters stopped recruiting him because most felt he wouldn't be eligible this year. if he gets eligible he could turn out to be a steal. 6'9 and can shoot is a rariety today so if he doesn't get eligible i wonder if they will continue to re recuit him for next year. i too believe that we will have 4 - 5 scholarships available by the end of the year. Sign 3 early, hold out for two and take a juco big in the spring. hold on to the other scholly for next year unless otto busts out and wants to come back. thats my take.

you must not get it, we only have 2 schollys for the fall because of armelin and mbakwe staying, and oto probably getting his redshirt scholly. this means we sign 2, wait for armelin and ahanmisi to make a difference or leave, and then pick up watever table scraps the other schools have left us in the spring, just like last year. Tubby and coaching co. got themselves in a pickle i think with these guys because they are going to have to buzzcut them sooner or later

you must not get it, we only have 2 schollys for the fall because of armelin and mbakwe staying, and oto probably getting his redshirt scholly. this means we sign 2, wait for armelin and ahanmisi to make a difference or leave, and then pick up watever table scraps the other schools have left us in the spring, just like last year. Tubby and coaching co. got themselves in a pickle i think with these guys because they are going to have to buzzcut them sooner or later

Not true AT ALL. Gophers offered (and signed) 4 players in fall of 2008 with only 2 openings. The scholarships worked out in summer of 2009.

Do you pay attention AT ALL?

of the late signees otto is the only one that i feel could help us this year. the big canadian has the size and the body to contribute off of the bench to offset some fouls and to spell our other bigs (trevor, ralph, colton). the guards do nothing for me. i've spoken to others in the know who coach and recruit across the country and most feel that the guards were a reach. bodies non the less. who knows though. Otto slipped under the radar because most recruiters stopped recruiting him because most felt he wouldn't be eligible this year. if he gets eligible he could turn out to be a steal. 6'9 and can shoot is a rariety today so if he doesn't get eligible i wonder if they will continue to re recuit him for next year. i too believe that we will have 4 - 5 scholarships available by the end of the year. Sign 3 early, hold out for two and take a juco big in the spring. hold on to the other scholly for next year unless otto busts out and wants to come back. thats my take.

Hollins is NOT a reach. He's a very good SG prospect.

Top Bottom