Marcus' mysterious tweet

bigkahunaiii

Surfer Dude
Reaction score
From Marcus via Twitter tonight:

It's a big week for Gophs. Trevor Mbakwe makes his decision (which shouldn't surprise). And Oto Osenieks here's from NCAA about eligibility.

Does he mean things that he hopes to happen this coming week? Or is there something on Osenieks we haven't had reported on Tubby's Barn yet?

idk, maybe they just gave oto a date and that date is next week, hope he and trevor are both gophs

Oto

The talk has been for some time that Oto will not play this upcoming season and will have four years of eligibility remaining. That could change, but thw word is that it is unlikely that he will play for the Gophers this season.

Chris Monter

The talk has been for some time that Oto will not play this upcoming season and will have four years of eligibility remaining. That could change, but thw word is that it is unlikely that he will play for the Gophers this season.

Chris Monter

Monter with the inside scoop, again! Man - are we lucky to have you at GH! :)

love your stuff monter, appreciate the work you put in down here in the gopherhole! Keep feeding us, we're hungry down here! lol

Chris Monter

I thought Oto and Eliason might be the redshirts this year. Both are talented but need time to develop.

Oto

So would Oto still be a Gopher at that point or does it open up his recruiting again?

If what I'm hearing is true, if Oto follows through with his intentions of being a Gopher, basically he'll be a "forced" redshirt. Per the NCAA Clearinghouse, he'll be able to attend the U on scholarship but will be ineligible to play in games. He will be able to practice, etc., retain his 4 years.

If what I'm hearing is true, if Oto follows through with his intentions of being a Gopher, basically he'll be a "forced" redshirt. Per the NCAA Clearinghouse, he'll be able to attend the U on scholarship but will be ineligible to play in games. He will be able to practice, etc., retain his 4 years.

Is he allowed to be on scholarship if he doesn't pass ncaa clearing house?

Vince Taylor interviewing in Chicago today

According to a Marcus tweet

Gophers assistant Vince Taylor is in Chicago today interviewing for the Illinois-Chicago coaching job. He's one of three or four finalists.

I'm sure they have to pay their own way if not cleared by NCAA, and that's assuming the school that recruited them still wants 'em (highly doubtful) if they can't even clear the Clearinghouse (which has very minimum academic standards).

I'd guess Oto's situation is a little unique, almost sounds like it'll be a compromise. He'll be cleared, can collect on his scholarship, but he'll have to sit out a year. There must be something goofy in his academic background, either in his native country or maybe even the prep school in Illinois?

I'm sure they have to pay their own way if not cleared by NCAA, and that's assuming the school that recruited them still wants 'em (highly doubtful) if they can't even clear the Clearinghouse (which has very minimum academic standards).

I'd guess Oto's situation is a little unique, almost sounds like it'll be a compromise. He'll be cleared, can collect on his scholarship, but he'll have to sit out a year. There must be something goofy in his academic background, either in his native country or maybe even the prep school in Illinois?

The IL Prep school is legitimate. Perhaps Latvian HS curricula are unaware of NCAA "core class" requuirements. Sometimes foreign players have to sit out a number of games if they played on a team where other players got paid (even if they didn't).

I hope Marcus didn't say Osenieks here's...

From Marcus via Twitter tonight:

It's a big week for Gophs. Trevor Mbakwe makes his decision (which shouldn't surprise). And Oto Osenieks here's from NCAA about eligibility.

Does he mean things that he hopes to happen this coming week? Or is there something on Osenieks we haven't had reported on Tubby's Barn yet?

Let Snot Go Overbored Awn The Whey

Marcusses spells. Watt due ewe awl wont? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom