Replacement for Texas

IronRanger91

Reaction score
Sid says that the Gophers have found a top-notch BCS opponent to replace Texas but they are holding off on the announcement until the future Big-10 schedule is released...any idea on who it is?

We can hold off on the announcement, but that doesn't mean the other school won't.

I'm guessing Big "XII" team

There are 9 other schools that need at least one game to replace Nebraska and Colorado.

Bring on Baylor! Am I right?

There are 9 other schools that need at least one game to replace Nebraska and Colorado.

Do you mean in terms of prestige? Because the number of conference games those teams play will remain unchanged....

I hope it's not the Bears

Bring on Baylor! Am I right?

Baylor did the U of M no favors when they backed out of their obligation to play in Minneapolis. Our team went to Waco earlier this decade, crushed them, and they canceled the back end of that contract. I don't recall who we had to replace them, but I doubt it was a BCS school. Maybe Murray State?
Do Baylor no favors.

Baylor did the U of M no favors when they backed out of their obligation to play in Minneapolis. Our team went to Waco earlier this decade, crushed them, and they canceled the back end of that contract. I don't recall who we had to replace them, but I doubt it was a BCS school. Maybe Murray State?
Do Baylor no favors.

It was Murray State. One of the few times I've left a game early, it was just ugly how badly we outmatched them.

Baylor was scheduled to play at the Dome on September 15, 2001, but the events four days earlier forced the postponement of that game, and Baylor chose not to attempt to reschedule.

I thought their using of the events around 9/11 to get out of playing us was very, very poor taste.

It was Murray State. One of the few times I've left a game early, it was just ugly how badly we outmatched them.

I am hoping that the team will avenge the only Big Ten game I have ever walked out early on this year in TCF BANK STADIUM. I walked out of the 2008 Iowa game, the last game at the dome very shortly after the 3rd quarter started. I literally had pneumonia ( diagnosed with pneumonia two days later) but that game made me feel much worse than the pneumonia made me feel. That was horrible. The worst Gopher game I have ever attended, seen on tv or listened to on the radio. Nothing could ever compare with that nightmare.

So, I am hoping for any kind of victory over Iowa this year. One point would be wonderful. Three points would be better. A one touchdown win would be superb. Ten points would be total and absolute vindication.

Destroy the pigs. Maybe a one point come from behind win would be the absolute best! Break their hearts. Take a chance at a good bowl game away from them. Win on a lucky bounce. Win on a bad call from the officials. Beat Iowa in the ugliest way imaginable. Just beat Iowa!

I am hoping that the team will avenge the only Big Ten game I have ever walked out early on this year in TCF BANK STADIUM. I walked out of the 2008 Iowa game, the last game at the dome very shortly after the 3rd quarter started. I lit

I left around the same time. During half time there was a huge traffic jam of people on the east side concourse outside a men's bathroom around the north end zone side 30 or so. I'm not sure what cause it but it was scary. My wife and went back into the seating area to wait it out. It was ridiculous. I swore I'd never go back to the dome that day. But I did, for the 2009 TC Marathon. But back to your quote, I remember thinking what a fitting end to the dome. It was a huge mistake moving there and that game put the period on that chapter of the teams history. The bank is nice, but it doesn't make up for the 28 years in the dome.

As I posted earlier......

Available schools for a home and home on those exact dates:

SCHOOLS:
Arizona, Auburn, Boise State, BYU, Clemson (maybe), Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, NC State, Oregon, Rutgers, San Diego State, South Carolina, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbuilt, Virginia, Washington State.

There would be a lot more schools available if we weren't just looking for a home and home on those two days. And who knows if thats what Maturi is looking for. And there are also TBA's on some of these teams schedules (most notable is Clemson). So this may be a narrowing down of sorts. Hopefully we all won't be disappointed with the upcoming announcement. Or maybe Joel can talk another big school out of a contract to play us (ala Notre Dame with Texas).

We all know that the SEC does not like playing up here in Big 10 country, so these are my realistic choices:
Arizona, Boise State, BYU, Connecticut, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Missouri, NC State, Oregon, Rutgers, San Diego State, TCU, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbuilt, Virginia and Washington State.

And of those, which ones would be considered "top-notch" BCS opponents? Boise State, BYU, San Diego State and TCU are non-BCS schools. So that leaves Oregon and Utah as proven top notch programs that will play Big 10 schools. Wouldn't mind some of those road trips though. Pullman, San Diego, Columbia, Tucson, etc...

Baylor was scheduled to play at the Dome on September 15, 2001, but the events four days earlier forced the postponement of that game, and Baylor chose not to attempt to reschedule.

Murray State was the only game in which I've left early. The Gophers put up almost 60 points by the end of the 3rd quarter and there was only about 33k in attendance anyway so it was just a blah atmosphere.

Agree with Gopherhurrin who said it was piss-poor of Baylor to use 9/11 as an excuse not to play us.

Do you mean in terms of prestige? Because the number of conference games those teams play will remain unchanged....

No, I meant that 5 Big XII schools have openings on those dates now.

No, I meant that 5 Big XII schools have openings on those dates now.

Isn't the big12 going to go through a major rescheduling process overall? And won't they be playing a nine game conference schedule when Nebraska leaves?
If so, doesn't that make it even less likely that we see one of them?

Isn't the big12 going to go through a major rescheduling process overall? And won't they be playing a nine game conference schedule when Nebraska leaves?
If so, doesn't that make it even less likely that we see one of them?

Yes, I believe so, and yes.

I don't think Colorado and Nebraska leaving the Big XII makes it any more likely that we get one of the remaining schools to replace Texas.

wasn't the replacement game Illinios State

and not Murray State

wasn't the replacement game Illinios State and not Murray State

We didn't play Illinois State until 2004. That game proved to be a lot more challenging than anticipated....though that 2004 team fell short of expectations.

my bad - I did check '01 season and no redbirds but..

we played Illinois State in like '99 or 2000 and ran up like 60 points on them- I am certain this game was added late to the schedule - I remember because they were (and still might be) Div I(a) team and it was the only game we could find- anyway it was an open date on the schedule that they filled in late for some reason. I now want to say maybe Temple may have cancelled? - somebody help an old guy out here - my memory is fading from too many 3.2 beers and dome dogs at the dome over a sustained period

we played Illinois State in like '99 or 2000 and ran up like 60 points on them- I am certain this game was added late to the schedule - I remember because they were (and still might be) Div I(a) team and it was the only game we could find- anyway it was an open date on the schedule that they filled in late for some reason. I now want to say maybe Temple may have cancelled? - somebody help an old guy out here - my memory is fading from too many 3.2 beers and dome dogs at the dome over a sustained period

9/18/99 - Gophers 55-7; 34-0 at half; almost 300 yds rushing, almost 300 yds passing

We didn't play Illinois State until 2004. That game proved to be a lot more challenging than anticipated....though that 2004 team fell short of expectations.

I remember being so furious at that ISU game. As it turns out, we have had trouble with IAA teams (except maybe Montana State) ever since.

You are generally correct about the SEC schools, but I would sure love to see the Gophers play someone from down south. I'd like to see us play Georgia or Florida State, for selfish reasons since it would be a short drive for me to see the Gophers in Athens or Tallahassee. Playing Georgia might not be so far fetched of an idea either. The Bulldogs have made a conscious effort over the last couple of seasons, and in the coming seasons, to expand their non-confrence schedule. Georgia has just finished home-and-homes with Arizona State and Oklahoma State and they have Colorado and Oregon coming up in the future with home-and-homes. I hope Maturi has given them a call.

Available schools for a home and home on those exact dates:

SCHOOLS:
Arizona, Auburn, Boise State, BYU, Clemson (maybe), Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, NC State, Oregon, Rutgers, San Diego State, South Carolina, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbuilt, Virginia, Washington State.

There would be a lot more schools available if we weren't just looking for a home and home on those two days. And who knows if thats what Maturi is looking for. And there are also TBA's on some of these teams schedules (most notable is Clemson). So this may be a narrowing down of sorts. Hopefully we all won't be disappointed with the upcoming announcement. Or maybe Joel can talk another big school out of a contract to play us (ala Notre Dame with Texas).

We all know that the SEC does not like playing up here in Big 10 country, so these are my realistic choices:
Arizona, Boise State, BYU, Connecticut, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Missouri, NC State, Oregon, Rutgers, San Diego State, TCU, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbuilt, Virginia and Washington State.

And of those, which ones would be considered "top-notch" BCS opponents? Boise State, BYU, San Diego State and TCU are non-BCS schools. So that leaves Oregon and Utah as proven top notch programs that will play Big 10 schools. Wouldn't mind some of those road trips though. Pullman, San Diego, Columbia, Tucson, etc...

If I had my choice, I'd take Missouri, LSU, Boise St., or Oregon...but I think that's just dreaming.

i was just thinking the same thing...maybe they are waiting to have a conference to announce both the firing of brew and the new series to make it a win-win situation

i was just thinking the same thing...maybe they are waiting to have a conference to announce both the firing of brew and the new series to make it a win-win situation

So, we're going to find out after the 2011 season, eh?

It isn't going to happen. The Big Ten is obviously giving serious consideration to a 9th game, starting in 2015. So the next opening for a big OOC opponent is 2017 and 2018 (and Oregon State is already scheduled). As a result, there's no need to schedule anything more for at least 3-4 years.

I remember being so furious at that ISU game. As it turns out, we have had trouble with IAA teams (except maybe Montana State) ever since.

We struggled with Montana State too. Montana State scored an early TD, and led until we scored a TD with 5:45 left in the second quarter. We scored three TDs in those 5+ minutes, but were only up by 8 at the half.

Top Bottom