Clipped From Shooter (Pioneer Press) Today

Reaction score
Royce White, the former Mr. Basketball Minnesota from Hopkins who spent his freshman year last season ineligible to play for the Gophers because of legal problems, said he's excited that Trevor Mbakwe can play for the Gophers if he participates in an intervention program stemming from a felony assault charge last year.

But, White also said, it's too late for him to change his mind about playing for Iowa State and new coach Fred Hoiberg and that he's firm in his commitment to the Cyclones.

After practicing with Mbakwe most of last season, White said of the 6-foot-8, 240-pound forward, "He's incredible.

"(Minnesota athletics director) Joel Maturi's decision to let Trevor play was the right decision and an overdue decision. It also was a tough decision, and when you're in a position of power like that, it's not easy, and there's going to be somebody upset. But his playing is a good thing."

White plans to move his belongings to Iowa State on Wednesday. He said his NCAA waiver request for eligibility this season will be made this week.

"Everything's great; I'm real excited," he said.

Meanwhile, there is little doubt that Mbakwe will end up with the Gophers.

i bet money royce is having second thoughts about himself and the gophers now that he sees patience is key, but even if he wanted us i dont want him

I don't want Royce anymore either, and idk if he was sincere in his above comments, but that is probably the most mature things I have ever seen him say, and if he is turning things around then I wish him nothing but the best.

I don't want Royce anymore either, and idk if he was sincere in his above comments, but that is probably the most mature things I have ever seen him say, and if he is turning things around then I wish him nothing but the best.

agreed

One thing I remember about Royce is his maddening ability to sound perfectly mature when in front of the mic and then do inexplicable things. Teens can do that, but his manifestation was more extreme than I am used to. Royce needs to speak less and act more in showing growth and maturity.

All things considered, getting away is probably the best thing for him. Repeated comments from his grandfather indicated he was disappointed with the posse he was hanging with. Staying in town was not going to give him a realistic chance to make that break. 2 1/2 hours south in Ames may not do it either, but at least he has a chance.

Good luck to Royce. I don't think the NCAA should grant him a waiver for this year, but when the career begins, I hope his potential shows itself. It will mean he has hung in there and set the demons aside.

I thought so, too.

I wish Royce well and think going to Ames will be good for him. He has sounded very mature and acted very immature throughout this ordeal with the Gophers.

I hope White gets the waiver but I see no logic for it to be granted. I wish success for Minny in the B10 as well.

For the record, Royce was extremely eligible to play. He was suspended for violating team rules (until he quit obviously), but he was very eligible.

There is no doubt in my mind that at some future date Royce is going to say to himself - What was I thinking? Why did I throw away my opportunity to play at MN?

I can't believe he has any chance of getting a tranfer waiver so he will be two years away from game action when he finally plays for Iowa State. And that assumes he keeps himself out of trouble for the next 15 months.

Good luck Royce, I hope you realize you have no one to blame but yourself for your problems.

hes has to be thinking about how much isu will suck no offense, he lives in a cornfield, plays in a flooded arena, wont be able to play this year when he couldve here, and wont play in the ncaa tourney in all his time there, unless maybe he stays til senior season. He must want to make his impact and bolt for the NBA fast

hes has to be thinking about how much isu will suck no offense, he lives in a cornfield, plays in a flooded arena, wont be able to play this year when he couldve here, and wont play in the ncaa tourney in all his time there, unless maybe he stays til senior season. He must want to make his impact and bolt for the NBA fast
You sound bitter.

He should have never signed with Minnesota, life in a fish bowl is tough, he was not ready for it.

He should have never signed with Minnesota, life in a fish bowl is tough, he was not ready for it.

I sure wish someone would have done me the disservice of giving me a free education to play a kid's game for 4-5 years. They could film me getting a colonoscopy for all I care.

Yeah, poor Royce. What a tough life. People kissing his a$$ everywhere he goes. Fu$%ing up everything and getting chance-after-chance. Poor guy.

I hope he rots in the mold and mildew on the bench at Iowa State and never touches the floor. I say the odds are about 4-1 he never plays for the Cyclones.

Bitter? No. Disgusted? Yes.

Yeah, poor Royce. What a tough life. People kissing his a$$ everywhere he goes. Fu$%ing up everything and getting chance-after-chance. Poor guy.

I hope he rots in the mold and mildew on the bench at Iowa State and never touches the floor. I say the odds are about 4-1 he never plays for the Cyclones.

Bitter? No. Disgusted? Yes.

Iowa State did nothing but give Royce a fresh start. Trash our program if you want, but if your anger is with Royce, then the trashing of ISU looks petty and bitter not like disgust.

I don't have any faith that Royce will ever play for ISU nor did I support the move to bring him to Ames, but the trashing of ISU's school and program is sad IMO.

I second that.

"Bitter" is not what Minnesota fans are when it comes to Royce White.

Disgusted, exasperated, incredulous.

If he ever gets to play at ISU (I wouldn't bet on it) he may be the best player on a lousy team, then will try to go pro after 1 yr whether he's ready or not. If he had stayed at MN and kept his nose clean, he probably would have played 2 years and been a key player on a national contender both years, we'd be looking at Cory Joseph coming in this year, and expectations would be through the roof.

Hell, if White had kept his nose clean last year, TREVOR may have been allowed to play last year.

Iowa State did nothing but give Royce a fresh start. Trash our program if you want, but if your anger is with Royce, then the trashing of ISU looks petty and bitter not like disgust.

I don't have any faith that Royce will ever play for ISU nor did I support the move to bring him to Ames, but the trashing of ISU's school and program is sad IMO.

Please show me where I have trashed ISU?? I'm a Cyclone fan and cannot argue with what The Mayor is doing down there. The risk-reward is high with RW. But if it doesn't work, he just boots him off the team - nothing lost. Despite RW's delusions, he's not going to be eligible to play this year anyway.

BTW, Royce has had plenty of fresh starts - 3 that I know of, probably more. He's an eff-up, destined to crash-and-burn. What I wouldn't give for that kid's innate talent...

Please show me where I have trashed ISU?? I'm a Cyclone fan and cannot argue with what The Mayor is doing down there. The risk-reward is high with RW. But if it doesn't work, he just boots him off the team - nothing lost. Despite RW's delusions, he's not going to be eligible to play this year anyway.

BTW, Royce has had plenty of fresh starts - 3 that I know of, probably more. He's an eff-up, destined to crash-and-burn. What I wouldn't give for that kid's innate talent...

I guess the comments about rotting in mold and mildew were positive about ISU. My apologies.

I guess the comments about rotting in mold and mildew were positive about ISU. My apologies.

Just a convenient way to rip on RW. Don't take it personally, FC. You do know the place is under water right now, right? Don't be thin-skinned.

Just a convenient way to rip on RW. Don't take it personally, FC. You do know the place is under water right now, right? Don't be thin-skinned.

Yes I do. Like I said, if you want to rip Royce, feel free. I just don't see the need to drag ISU into the trashing. He is practicing in a year old practice facility while he waits for Hilton to be cleaned up and will be playing in front of nearly as many fans in Ames as he would have in Minnesota. Will he playing for as good of a team? Probably not, but if ISU does land Chris Allen for 2011, Allen, Chris Babb, Royce White, Melvin Ejim, Scott Christopherson, DeMarcus Phillips, Elgin Cook, etc will be a solid base to start with for a much improved team.

deffinately not as good of a team, not even close, and in a way better conference

Farmer Clone, you're always welcome here. You add a lot to this board from the ISU perspective. I hope it works out for Fred. By all accounts he's a very solid human being. Hilton is a great place to watch a game. Would love to see ISU get their program back up to where it was under Johnny Orr.

Farmer Clone, you're always welcome here. You add a lot to this board from the ISU perspective. I hope it works out for Fred. By all accounts he's a very solid human being. Hilton is a great place to watch a game. Would love to see ISU get their program back up to where it was under Johnny Orr.

Pretty good (ISU Cyclones) under Tim Floyd in 1990's, too.

Agreed. Good luck Iowa State.

Top Bottom