Mike Max news

book

Reaction score
Just saw his sports on channel 4 - he had an interview with Trevor and Trevor, although not the happiest with some decisions at the the U - says he probably will come back to the U as his best choice!!! ALRIGHT!!!!

ALRIGHT....Indeed.

Finally after a year in the wilderness some GOOD NEWS!

i can understand his frustration but a talk with tubby and a trip with the teammates and he will feel at home with us once again. crazy to think that if he had stayed at marquette he along with all those 07 minnesota boys would be seniors, but he is only a junior

Hopefully he stays (as it seems he will if he wants to play right away), and can put all the bad feelings surrounding the decisions made by the U and others behind him and get to doing what he loves best.

Eligibility-wise he's a junior, but where is he academically. Hopefully on track to graduate next spring...? Then he can really focus on basketball his senior year!

Definitely not worrying about him transferring. He's not going to sit another yr.

Hopefully he stays (as it seems he will if he wants to play right away), and can put all the bad feelings surrounding the decisions made by the U and others behind him and get to doing what he loves best.

Eligibility-wise he's a junior, but where is he academically. Hopefully on track to graduate next spring...? Then he can really focus on basketball his senior year!
I thought his girlfriend said he would be working on his masters. Not sure on that.

There is no way he would get a waiver, especially after being reinstated.

Trevor, Colton and Ralph, pretty solid down low. We are going to surprise a lot of people and I expect a top 4 finish.

There is no way he would get a waiver, especially after being reinstated.

Trevor, Colton and Ralph, pretty solid down low. We are going to surprise a lot of people and I expect a top 4 finish.

If he graduates (bachelors degree) this summer, he won't need a waiver.

If he graduates (bachelors degree) this summer, he won't need a waiver.

THAT is what I'm concerned about and didn't want to bring it up because I was unsure of everything. I'm guessing that's what Mother Vandelay was referring to.

Early Graduation

THAT is what I'm concerned about and didn't want to bring it up because I was unsure of everything. I'm guessing that's what Mother Vandelay was referring to.

One problem from my view is that if he were on track to graduate THIS summer, thus making him eligible to go anywhere, why would he have talked about a waiver in the first place? It would not have been needed. It takes a pretty exceptional student or a kid with a boat load of AP or PSEO credits to graduate in just three years, and even more difficult with the transfer of JC credits in that mix. I highly doubt he could be graduating this summer. Perhaps sometime this year, but unlikely by the end of summer session.

I don't think it matters if he has graduated. He would still need to sit out a year unless granted a waiver.

For Immediate Release

Thursday, April 16, 2009
Contact(s)

NCAA Public and Media Relations
317/917-6117

Mr. Paulus has expressed an interest in competing in a second sport at another Division I school after earning an undergraduate degree at Duke University and competing on the men’s basketball team. The NCAA encourages and applauds academic achievement and realizes this is an unique situation and opportunity for Mr. Paulus. Student-athletes seldom have the opportunity to transfer late in their college careers and compete in a second sport after four seasons of competition. The NCAA established a “students first” waiver process to address unique situations and extenuating circumstances such as this that are not outlined in our rules.

If a student-athlete wants to transfer and immediately compete as a graduate student, the college or university they are transferring to would need to seek a waiver, because in most cases they would have to sit out a year before competing under NCAA transfer rules and would not have any remaining eligibility. One of the factors our members have determined is appropriate for a graduate student waiver is if the transfer is academically motivated.

I don't think it matters if he has graduated. He would still need to sit out a year unless granted a waiver.

For Immediate Release

Thursday, April 16, 2009
Contact(s)

NCAA Public and Media Relations
317/917-6117

Mr. Paulus has expressed an interest in competing in a second sport at another Division I school after earning an undergraduate degree at Duke University and competing on the men’s basketball team. The NCAA encourages and applauds academic achievement and realizes this is an unique situation and opportunity for Mr. Paulus. Student-athletes seldom have the opportunity to transfer late in their college careers and compete in a second sport after four seasons of competition. The NCAA established a “students first” waiver process to address unique situations and extenuating circumstances such as this that are not outlined in our rules.

If a student-athlete wants to transfer and immediately compete as a graduate student, the college or university they are transferring to would need to seek a waiver, because in most cases they would have to sit out a year before competing under NCAA transfer rules and would not have any remaining eligibility. One of the factors our members have determined is appropriate for a graduate student waiver is if the transfer is academically motivated.

That's in a DIFFERENT sport.

The NCAA permits graduated seniors with eligibility left to transfer and play the same sport without delay.

Case in point = Travis Busch.

That's in a DIFFERENT sport.

The NCAA permits graduated seniors with eligibility left to transfer and play the same sport without delay.

Case in point = Travis Busch.

Travis still needed to get a waiver. He was able to secure one by saying he was pursuing a master's degree in a program that wasn't offered at Minnesota. Memphis likely has a master's program that the U doesn't offer, so then Trevor would have to graduate from the U right NOW, then have to qualify for that particular master's program at Memphis, apply for the waiver from the NCAA, get the waiver granted, and then enroll in the master's program at Memphis (all within the next 3-4 weeks). Not saying it is impossible, just unlikely.

On top of all of that, I doubt with credit transfers from Marquette and Miami-Dade CC that he is graduating before the start of his senior year at MN.

I would bet a large sum of money (if I had it) that Trevor will be suiting up for Tubby Smith and the Golden Gophers.

He is an outstanding player and will help elevate the Gophers into a solid NCAA team that will be playing for seeding late in the year and not playing to get off of the bubble. I predict he will lead the Big Ten in rebounding and block shots. He's a fantastic presence inside with a rare combo of physical strength, pure brute, and athleticism where he jumps out of the gym. He'll be a great Golden Gopher. He needs to stay here and play for Tubby.

Travis still needed to get a waiver. He was able to secure one by saying he was pursuing a master's degree in a program that wasn't offered at Minnesota. Memphis likely has a master's program that the U doesn't offer, so then Trevor would have to graduate from the U right NOW, then have to qualify for that particular master's program at Memphis, apply for the waiver from the NCAA, get the waiver granted, and then enroll in the master's program at Memphis (all within the next 3-4 weeks). Not saying it is impossible, just unlikely.

On top of all of that, I doubt with credit transfers from Marquette and Miami-Dade CC that he is graduating before the start of his senior year at MN.

I would bet a large sum of money (if I had it) that Trevor will be suiting up for Tubby Smith and the Golden Gophers.

He is an outstanding player and will help elevate the Gophers into a solid NCAA team that will be playing for seeding late in the year and not playing to get off of the bubble. I predict he will lead the Big Ten in rebounding and block shots. He's a fantastic presence inside with a rare combo of physical strength, pure brute, and athleticism where he jumps out of the gym. He'll be a great Golden Gopher. He needs to stay here and play for Tubby.

There are other examples. Players who earn bachelors degree with eligibility left can transfer and play right away.

But I Agree > Gophers More Likely Than Transfer

He'll be a star for Minnesota if he stays.

Kruger

There are other examples. Players who earn bachelors degree with eligibility left can transfer and play right away.

Lon Kruger's son, Kevin Kruger is another example. Kevin graduated at Arizona State and then finished his playing career for dad at UNLV

Top Bottom