UTEP's Floyd Explains Why Player Kicked Off Team

Blizzard

Reaction score
Not that this doesn't have anything to do with us, but it is quite a story-

Check out the email the player sent to a local news station:

In an email to ABC-7, Strong elaborated on why he thought he was kicked off of the team.

"Basically when barbee was there I had a dorm incident and couldn't live in the dorms this school year which was fine because I wasn't planning on staying in the dorms anyways. So when tim floyd came to utep he tested our team and some ppl failed but for some reason he made it seem like it was all my fault and that I was a bad person," Strong said in the email. "He stereotyped me from day 1. Then a few weeks bck I was in the dorm(just there before class) and the police arrested a gurl in the dorm with weed that I knew. My name came up and she told them I had nothing to do with it which was true. Tim floyd had said even if my name came up in anything that I was out of there so I made sure that they knew I had nun to do wit it. But still he told me I violated by even being in the dorms and I didn't know I couldn't even be in the dorms. Tim floyd had already said that he had a guard he wanted to bring in so that had to be his reason to let me go. Really I don't see how he even got the job when he broke ncaa rules at usc just two years back. He raised a fake charity event to pay a player to come to usc is what I'm hearing from my sources abd I'm sure its true."

This is what his Facebook status said-

"Yeah I'm not at utep anymore I know a lot of ppl wondering y, but the big question really should be how did tim floyd even get the job there? Wasn't he just under investigation at USC? Well I'm hearing that he had a fake charity event to pay former player OJ Mayo $100,000 to play for him. How did the ncaa let that slide? I'm just saying...." Strong wrote on his Facebook status.

http://www.kvia.com/news/24620204/detail.html

That kid should be embarrassed at his writing and grammar skills. Texting or Facebook is one thing but he actually sent that email to a TV station?

Wow.

Hey, Jerk! He was an honor (er...passing) student at an fine institution of higher learning. LOL

That kid should be embarrassed at his writing and grammar skills. Texting or Facebook is one thing but he actually sent that email to a TV station?

Wow.

Yes, that was the most important thing to come out of his email.

I'm also wondering how Floyd got a job so quickly.

Yes, that was the most important thing to come out of his email.

I'm also wondering how Floyd got a job so quickly.

Have you been to El Paso before? It would take a ton of money to get me to ever move there.

I would guess that this: "Tim floyd had already said that he had a guard he wanted to bring in so that had to be his reason to let me go. "

has something to do with this: "Source also told FOXSports.com that Michigan State transfer Chris Allen on currently on visit to UTEP"

If Chris Allen goes to UTEP, then it's time to start the payola investigation.

With likely offers from South Florida (Big East) and Iowa State ( Big 12(10) ), there is no reason to go to El Paso, and possibly never be seen again.

If Chris Allen goes to UTEP, then it's time to start the payola investigation.

With likely offers from South Florida (Big East) and Iowa State ( Big 12(10) ), there is no reason to go to El Paso, and possibly never be seen again.

If a player is talented enough they will get seen no matter where they play.

For example,

Scottie Reynolds from Villanova - Undrafted.
Derrick Caracter from UTEP - Drafted.

For example,

I hear what you're saying (and agree)...but i wasn't really talking about being drafted. I was talkin' about bein' seen...

For example,

Villanova is going unnoticed? 30 NCAA tournaments and a Final Four in 2009

Caracter was very highly recruited out of HS and played at Louisville. His name was already well known before he ended up at UTEP.

Villanova is going unnoticed? 30 NCAA tournaments and a Final Four in 2009

my point was that Villanova IS getting noticed, and the star player did not get drafted, while UTEP is NOT getting noticed, and the star player did get drafted. In colclusion, the school you go to and the amount of exposure it gets you, does not always equate to your future success. Talent is usually the winning criteria.

Caracter was very highly recruited out of HS and played at Louisville. His name was already well known before he ended up at UTEP.

Caracter was just the first example I could think of. Many non-BCS schools produce NBA draft picks each year.

Reynolds didn't get drafted because NBA scouts didn't think he was good enough. It has nothing to do with where he played.

Reynolds didn't get drafted because NBA scouts didn't think he was good enough. It has nothing to do with where he played.

that is my point ... when determining your future success, Talent >>>>>> School. I have been saying that this whole time. Players who go to "lesser" schools can get drafted over players at BCS schools if they have the talent. The school doesn't matter.

my point was that Villanova IS getting noticed, and the star player did not get drafted, while UTEP is NOT getting noticed, and the star player did get drafted. In colclusion, the school you go to and the amount of exposure it gets you, does not always equate to your future success. Talent is usually the winning criteria.

HOWEVER, the point of who I was responding too (which i took incorrectly) was actually that Allen wouldn't be seen at UTEP, not that he wouldn't be successful / have a succesful career.

I definitely don't disagree with you, but just the Caracter example wasn't a good one IMO.

Top Bottom