Can anyone confirm that Trevor will be back?

Reserve

Reaction score
You know I hate to rain on the parade here but is there any confirmation that Trevor will be back?

Yes, I know the situation, obstacles to him transferring, waiver stuff, but has he actually said that he was going to stick with the Gophers?

You know I hate to rain on the parade here but is there any confirmation that Trevor will be back?

Yes, I know the situation, obstacles to him transferring, waiver stuff, but has he actually said that he was going to stick with the Gophers?

same question.

I don't think this has been confirmed yet... just assumed. I would hope that question would be answered today....

I did ask the question, and nothing he did not confirm either way.

I've got dreams of Trevor dominating inside dancing in my head but aside from his legal adventures now being over has his status changed from what Marcus wrote yesterday?

Mbakwe was pursuing an NCAA waiver that would allow him to play elsewhere next season instead of having to sit out a year. Smith said recently that he didn't believe the NCAA would grant Mbakwe a waiver, but that he would like to have him back.

Even Maturi said ..

It's now time to move on and I am glad that he is going to have an opportunity to be a member of our basketball program with two years of eligibility remaining."

Uhmmm .. that doesn't confirm that Trevor will be back with the team, only that he now has an opportunity to be back with the team.

Sorry everyone, I'd like to hear it or read it from Trevor that he's coming back.

Trevor is the only one who can. Same news as yesterday. Gophers forward Trevor Mbakwe says "I haven't made a 100% decision yet" on playing for Gophers but says he will play in 2010-11.

If Trevor is still pursuing a waiver after yesterday (which it sounds like he is based on Marcus' info), that is a VERY bad sign for us.

Why would you even talk about a waiver if you planned on staying here at the U of MN?

I'm sure Trevor would like to talk with Tubby about the new developments in his case before making any definitive statements about his future.

Did I read that Tubby is out of town?

Once Trevor has a chance to talk with Tubby and confirm that they are in agreement concerning his status on the team I would think Trevor will make a statement.

He is used to waiting by now over the last 16 months. I am sure he can wait a few more days to talk with Tubby.

And maybe he is just letting this court resolution sink in. It likely is more of a relief knowing he does not have to face a jury trial than his concern about playing college basketball.

On the waiver situation - I don't know that he could get an answer on a hypothetical waiver - i.e., would think he'd have to transfer, then the new school would likely ask for a waiver on behalf of him. I know it's been reported numerous times in various media that he filed a waiver with the NCAA, but I doubt it. Can't see how the NCAA would be inclined or compelled to even look at such a request.

At any rate, a waiver being granted because, "my team wouldn't let me play because I had felony charges" does not appear to be a potential reason why a waiver might be granted.

That said, his choices are probably play for the Gophers for two years, or only play one year, max, of D1 college bball.

I can certainly understand why there might be a bad taste in his mouth from the whole thing, but hopefully he can take out any frustrations on the opposition, while in Maroon and Gold.

No Idea Here

But he's been at 5 different schools in 5 years.

Sibley in 2006, St Bernard's in 2007, Marquette in 2008, Miami Dade in 2009, and Minnesota in 2010.

HOPEFULLY he'll opt to stay at Minnesota?

Seems a bit daring for Memphis to be pursuing or encouraging Trevor after Pastner's "excuse me" attitude about his minor NCAA infraction. It's not like the amateur event he attended in MN is a new event and no one knew it's certification status. Memphis got a "pass" on the "ignorance of the law is no excuse" rule. Is Memphis willing to test the NCAA's good favor?

FOT, you aren't even counting his attempted move to Atlanta for his senior year in HS. Only after finding out he wouldn't be eligible did he return to the Twin Cities and go to St. Bernards.

I don't think there's any way he will play this year for anyone other than the U. No way the NCAA grants him a waiver.

Trevor has been extremely consistent and I'm not sure that's been a good thing. I can't for the life of me think that he would NOT end up with Minnesota but it would probably be a good thing to get a confirmation of some sort.

I am curious-

His next hearing date is 8/26 - does he have to formally accept the deal with the court at that time or has he already done that?

If Trevor is still pursuing a waiver after yesterday (which it sounds like he is based on Marcus' info), that is a VERY bad sign for us.

Why would you even talk about a waiver if you planned on staying here at the U of MN?

I would assume the waiver is something he already submitted, and just wants to see how it turns out.

Per Marcus Fuller ..

Trevor Mbakwe told me in a text today that he will "probably" decide on whether to play for the Gophers or somewhere else next week.

What's going on here? Either he wants to be a Gopher or not.

He's currently on the roster and on scholarship at one school yet he's publicly shopping himself around to other schools looking for a better deal? How does the coaching staff and his teammates tolerate that? It's one thing to do it privately like most players that transfer year in and year out - but this is a slap in the face to the Gopher program. PLEASE, spare me the whole song and dance about why he starting looking elsewhere in the first place. I get that. But THAT is over and he's been reinstated yet he's still looking to possibly leave? Tubby needs to ask TM if he wants to be part of the program and if he waivers one bit, he needs to be let go.

Holy crap...I actually agree with every single word that Art wrote in the above post.When pigs fly....when pigs fly.

Top Bottom