7 Rushing yards!!!! I live that Dunbar Spread!

oak_street1981

Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me???

7 yards.

Who wins anything with 7 rushing yards?

At least bring in Mouse Davis and run something like the Run and shoot if you are not going to pound it.

This was 1982 like. The dome went out much like it started once the real competion showed up.

Brewster has some explaining to do. What an ass kicking.

Don't blame the offensive scheme. Blame the players executing the scheme.

Remember, Marshan Lynch became a first round draft choice in that same offense.

The spread offense that Dunbar runs relies on the pass setting up the run. There was a lack of a passing attack last night (due to Weber's incompetency), thus eliminating any chances of getting a running game going. It also doesn't help that our offensive line is the smallest and youngest in the Big 10.

Marshawn Lynch ran in a similar offense

NOT this one.

Our running game is a joke. Dunbar is the "O" coordinator. he's had two years with these players and he can't gain more than 7 yards rushing?

Let the excuses begin.

Our Line is too inexperienced -- they've had 12 games of experience to get better.
We don't have the right players -- Bullshit. The players we have are good enough to be better than this.
We have to give Brewster and Co 5 years to instill their schemes -- two years in, we can't function as an offense at home. In a building that suits the spread so well as we saw year after year of spread teams taking advantage of the ideal conditions to rack up yards and points against our beloved Gophers
Injuries hurt us -- they hurt every team. Well coached teams overcome it.

We were flat out unprepared mentally AGAIN. A one game thing, maybe you can excuse it. A consistent issue, Houston we have a problem.

Brewster will get more chances, but the coaching side of this experiment continues to flounder. I'm glad he's accepting responsibility, but I'd rather he just learn how to coach overnight. But what do you expect when you hire a guy with zero experience as a coach.

Fire Maturi now. Worst case scenario is that Brewster continues to improve the talent and then we bring in someone who can coach AND recruit.

Fire Maturi now. Worst case scenario is that Brewster continues to improve the talent and then we bring in someone who can coach AND recruit.[/QUOTE said:
Joel Maturi who got us Tubby Smith? You're probably gonna say who cares about basketball, but the fact that Joel got him is huge to our school. I think he's doing a great job. That's not to say that I wouldn't love having him talk Tony Dungy into coaching us :)

I don't know if Dunbar will be back next year and I don't think it would break too many hearts to see him go.

My final coaching grades will come out in a few days, and I think Tim Brewster still did a decent job when all is said and done. He gets extremely high grades for motivation and or course recruiting, but one thing I think he needs to improve on is adjustments with the offensive schemes. Any good coach will find what works the best and work with that system to improve the team and things that aren't working will either get scrapped or worked on. Your schemes need to be tweaked if they aren't working and too often I saw the Gopher staff trying to jam a square peg in a round hole, especially on offense.

Our blocking schemes were pathetic and it wasn't just the linemen. The receivers were horrible. Rather than trying to keep running plays that weren't working, the staff should have been working on finding something that worked. This offensive line was smaller than most, but they were fairly quick. Fine, then you need to use that to your advantage, NOT disadvantage. Yo don't say, "Well we want to run this new scheme and man in 5 years it's going to work" because your staff won't last that long if it doesn't. Rather, I think the staff needs to evaluate what will work and adapt their plans to it. I know this offense is dreadfully short on playmakers, but no way are they 55 points worse than Iowa at the beginning of the season. The thing is -- Iowa improved.......did we??

If I had a chance to talk to Tim Brewster, I would ask him, "Why do we need to drastically change our blocking schemes when they worked so well before? Your new blocking schemes don't work at all." I have heard Tim Brewster say he wants to run the spread because he wants to recruit the best athletes in the country, but I don't think Maroney and Barber were necessarily that bad and I will take Mason's WORST offense after the first year than the one we have seen over the last 2 years.

I would also suggest finding what worked in Mason's offense and utilizing it here. He used a one back offense with 3 receivers which isn't drastically different from the spread. Maybe there is a combination that would make everyone happy, but right now, that offense doesn't make ANYONE happy.

In closing, even though we gave up 55 points to Iowa, I would give Brewster and staff high marks for the work they have done with the defense. I look for continued improvement, but Brewster really needs to go back to the drawing board with this offense because it is a mess.

Dunbar

Its been about 20 hours since the worst Gophers performance i have ever seen. I've been able to keep my mouth shut thus far so that I can be a little more objective in my comments. I think I'm ready to be rational now.

I ALWAYS try to be a very positive fan and poster. But I have to agree on this one. I wasn't a fan of the Dunbar hire 22 months ago, and I'm much less happy about it now. I know he doesn't have the players to fit his system, but a good coach should be able to adapt.

Dunbar's offense regressed significantly form last year in my opinion. Imagine what this year would have looked like without Roof's defense.

I doubt it would happen, but I am in favor of moving on from Dunbar (Cal sure didn't seem to sad to see him go) and bring in some young Offensive genius from a lesser BCS team or a non bcs school.

I always loved the offenses under Mason, but I think with the way we've been recruiting and Brewsters mindset that it is too late to try to go back to a run oriented offense.

O-Line

AP couldn't get through the holes our line was making...

That is exactly my point, Nort. We used to have a blocking scheme that was one of the best if not THE best in the country. When you have coaches from Auburn and other schools coming in to check it out and see why it is so effective you might want to hang on to those schemes. Our blocking stinks and that is a big reason we can't run the ball.

I don't think we need to go back to Mason's exact offense, and I am fine with throwing the ball more often, especially if we have a decent QB. I think there were aspects of it though that worked much, much better than what we have right now particularly the blocking schemes. I am not exactly sure what we are doing different, but it is not working at all. I don't think I have seen a Gopher offense this bad two years in a row since 1982-83 but I may be wrong.

I guarantee you if Brewster's offense looks like this by the end of next year with no improvement,
it won't be Dunbar the fans are grumbling about.....I think Brewster really needs to look at this offense because it is flat out horrible and changes need to be made. A new offensive coordinator might be the ticket, maybe they could revitalize our offense the way Roof helped the defense.

I think after two years, the new schemes excuse is wearing thin and I thought we actually looked worse as the season went on and that is what concerns me the most.

Gold Rush - I know where you are coming from when you are saying we had probably the best blocking scheme in the nation under Mason, and I agree with you, but that wasn't exactly my point.

When we have Redshirt Freshman and Sophomores going against DT's like King, it poses a huge problem. Freshman can't come into a Big 10 school and succeed on the offensive line (in most cases) like other positions, like Pryor at OSU. You can't survive in the trenches on pure talent alone. A few years of weight-lifting and battling guys in practice is the best cure for that, and that is what our guys need right now.

One more thing. I am fine running it out of the shotgun formation on 3rd and 1, but maybe not so much anymore. If Weber is too banged up to keep the ball and run with it sometimes, they know it is going to our RB's. From what I understand it's a read play, and if Weber gives the ball everytime, no matter what it's going to get stuffed.

Top Bottom