Trevor Mbakwe Reinstated to Gopher Men’s Basketball Team

Chris Monter

Reaction score
Mbakwe Reinstated to Gopher Men’s Basketball Team

The Miami-Dade State’s Attorney’s Office announced today that Trevor Mbakwe has agreed to an offer to take part in a pre-trial intervention program and that the pending case against him will not proceed to trial.

The Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office said that enrollment in the program “is not an admission of guilt nor is it a plea.” Mbakwe has maintained his innocence in the matter from the outset.

According to the State’s Attorney’s Office, all charges against Mbakwe will be dropped upon his successful completion of the program.

Minnesota director of athletics Joel Maturi said that today’s announcement by the Miami-Dade State’s Attorney’s Office constitutes a satisfactory resolution to the matter and that Mbakwe will be immediately reinstated to compete as a member of the Gopher men’s basketball team. Mbakwe was held out of competition during the Gophers’ 2009-10 campaign.

“This process has been difficult and I am relieved it is finally being resolved,” Maturi said. “It’s now time to move on and I am glad that he is going to have an opportunity to be a member of our basketball program with two years of eligibility remaining.”

Head men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith is currently out of town but will soon meet with Mbakwe to determine his future role with the program. Maturi said that his reinstatement would make him eligible to begin practicing with the team on Aug. 21, when the Gophers begin preparations for their tour of Canada, which begins the first week of September.

yessssssssssssssssssssssss second time ive held the s key down today. ilu Mbakwe, Maturi gets out of this looking like a guy who takes no crap, so he got what he wanted, and so did trev. good day for da gophs eh?

Awesome! I can't imagine him leaving the program now that he's good to go...he's got family and friends here, comfortable with his surroundings, and a team that can do some serious damage...Going elsewhere just doesn't make sense to me at all...

Congratulations Trevor!
The Gopher Nation is very happy for you and your family.
Good things happen for those who are patient an steadfast.
Your faith in Coach Smith and his in you is what being part of the Gopher family is all about.
Here's wishing you a tremendous academic, personal and athletic career at "The U"!

Go get em' big man!

I hope to see a picture of Tubby and Trevor smiling together soon.

Great news, Im happy for Trevor. Cant wait to see him suit up for Minnesota.

Mbakwe Reinstated to Gopher Men’s Basketball Team

The Miami-Dade State’s Attorney’s Office announced today that Trevor Mbakwe has agreed to an offer to take part in a pre-trial intervention program and that the pending case against him will not proceed to trial.

The Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office said that enrollment in the program “is not an admission of guilt nor is it a plea.” Mbakwe has maintained his innocence in the matter from the outset.

According to the State’s Attorney’s Office, all charges against Mbakwe will be dropped upon his successful completion of the program.

Minnesota director of athletics Joel Maturi said that today’s announcement by the Miami-Dade State’s Attorney’s Office constitutes a satisfactory resolution to the matter and that Mbakwe will be immediately reinstated to compete as a member of the Gopher men’s basketball team. Mbakwe was held out of competition during the Gophers’ 2009-10 campaign.

“This process has been difficult and I am relieved it is finally being resolved,” Maturi said. “It’s now time to move on and I am glad that he is going to have an opportunity to be a member of our basketball program with two years of eligibility remaining.”

Head men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith is currently out of town but will soon meet with Mbakwe to determine his future role with the program. Maturi said that his reinstatement would make him eligible to begin practicing with the team on Aug. 21, when the Gophers begin preparations for their tour of Canada, which begins the first week of September.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38661&SPID=3302&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204976867 the link.

Rosen ch. 4 tonight

Only thing that worries me is Mark Rosen's comment that Trevor may not want to return to the Gophers!!! Ouch!!!! Come on Trevor - Gopher fans will love you and the team will be great with you!!! Hopefully Rosen's comment came from old news...

Only thing that worries me is Mark Rosen's comment that Trevor may not want to return to the Gophers!!! Ouch!!!! Come on Trevor - Gopher fans will love you and the team will be great with you!!! Hopefully Rosen's comment came from old news...

I heard that, I wonder if that was a quote from Trevor or like you said old news.

I didn't watch, but it sounds like that's just his opinion. At least the way I read what you reported, he didn't say anything about talking to anyone, correct? Anyway, it's hard to imagine Trevor transferring and sitting out a whole year again. That would be 4 years after high school without basically any (significant) minutes of D1 basketball.

Per Gary Parrish - CBS Sports:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports...3839326?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23839326

...One thing worth noting: There has been some speculation that Mbakwe could transfer to another Division I school, like Memphis, and get a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately. But sources familiar with the situation have told CBSSports.com that a waiver would be "highly unlikely," meaning Mbakwe's realistic options seem to be staying at Minnesota and playing this season (provided Minnesota allows it) or transferring, sitting out a season per normal NCAA transfer rules, and resuming his college career in 2011-12.

For what it's worth, Myron Medcalf, Minnesota beat writer for the Star-Tribune, Tweeted Thursday that he spoke with Mbakwe's lawyer, who told him he expects Mbakwe to remain at Minnesota and play this season. Minnesota officials, including coach Tubby Smith, have yet to comment.

At some point he needs to stick at one place for a while. 3 High Schools in 3 years, on 3rd college stop. Is he really going to make it 4?

NCAA

NCAA never does anything in a hurry. No way is going to run the risk of going somewhere else and hoping he'll be cleared to play basketball. He's not going anywhere. I hope he does well. I heard people say that in the pro-am league Trevor looks like the real deal.

One Worry

NCAA never does anything in a hurry. No way is going to run the risk of going somewhere else and hoping he'll be cleared to play basketball. He's not going anywhere. I hope he does well. I heard people say that in the pro-am league Trevor looks like the real deal.

My one worry is that which makes perfect sense for those past our early 20's does not always make perfect sense to one in his early 20's. Here is to hoping he makes the decision that makes sense for him and for the Gopher basketball team. There is no rational reason he would roll the dice for a waiver that has a slim chance of getting approved, but until I see Moonlight's picture of Trevor and Tubby smiling at each other, I won't penciling him into the starting line-up.

Top Bottom