If Trevor plays...

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
...the Gophers will have a serious chance of finishing in the top 5 of the Big Ten IMO. Mbakwe fills a position of need and boasts a skill-set that rivals that of any in the conference at his position. With him at PF, that allows Colton, Sampson and Walker to play their natural center spot more often. He'll also relieve some of the scoring pressure off of Devoe and Blake. But we all know what he excels in: Defense. Tubby loves players like that, so playing time shouldn't be a problem. I just hope coach Smith ditches the hockey-style substitutions and establishes a regular rotation.
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself because no decision has been made on Trevor's eligibility, but things look encouraging.

...the Gophers will have a serious chance of finishing in the top 5 of the Big Ten IMO. Mbakwe fills a position of need and boasts a skill-set that rivals that of any in the conference at his position. With him at PF, that allows Colton, Sampson and Walker to play their natural center spot more often. He'll also relieve some of the scoring pressure off of Devoe and Blake. But we all know what he excels in: Defense. Tubby loves players like that, so playing time shouldn't be a problem. I just hope coach Smith ditches the hockey-style substitutions and establishes a regular rotation.
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself because no decision has been made on Trevor's eligibility, but things look encouraging.

Thanks for setting our expectations so low.

Top 5 in the B10? Boy, that is really something to be proud of! If he joins the gophs the expectation should be #1 in the B10. If he doesn't then the expectation of being in the top 5 are more yawn like. The team without him is still pretty dangerous.

#1? Are you serious? Maybe that could be a goal, but not a very realistic one. That definitely isn't a reasonable expectation. I'd say the most reasonable expectation/goal would be to finish top 3.

Thanks for setting our expectations so low.

Top 5 in the B10? Boy, that is really something to be proud of! If he joins the gophs the expectation should be #1 in the B10. If he doesn't then the expectation of being in the top 5 are more yawn like. The team without him is still pretty dangerous.

#1? Are you serious? Maybe that could be a goal, but not a very realistic one. That definitely isn't a reasonable expectation. I'd say the most reasonable expectation/goal would be to finish top 3.

Not only do I agree with you about us being a top favorite to win the Big Ten, but I see us going a couple of rounds deeper in the NCAA's.

This assumes not only Trevor but Al also being part of the team.

You are high if you expect us to be a top favorite to win the Big Ten. Hell I doubt we'll even be in the preseason Top 25! I would be very happy with a top 3 Big Ten finish and think that is a realistic goal.

we will deffinately be a dark horse this season, no one will expect it but we can beat anyone on any given day, though i think we will destroy the bottom feeders unlike last year at michigan and indiana

Where will our scoring come from? Not trying to be a d@ck, but can we rely on Joseph to be a go to scorer? I assume Hoff will have his occasional game where he goes off (most likely against a weak opponent at home) but we will need Sampson, Iverson, and Mbakwe (assuming he plays for us) to be consistent scorers down low because we won't have much scoring from the perimeter. I still believe this team lacks a top scoring threat that other teams fear. We're solid, but I don't see us being anymore explosive than the last couple seasons.

1. Joeseph can and will be that guy 2. Hoff can go off at any time againist anyone, proof=27 vs ohio state 3. Mbakwe and Sampson have always been able to score down low, look for consistancy this year 4. Colt keeps improving his offensive game 5. Al Nolen can also score 5. forgot to say that williams will be improving on 4 ppg and hollins and walker can provide a spark off the bench

Where will our scoring come from? Not trying to be a d@ck, but can we rely on Joseph to be a go to scorer? I assume Hoff will have his occasional game where he goes off (most likely against a weak opponent at home) but we will need Sampson, Iverson, and Mbakwe (assuming he plays for us) to be consistent scorers down low because we won't have much scoring from the perimeter. I still believe this team lacks a top scoring threat that other teams fear. We're solid, but I don't see us being anymore explosive than the last couple seasons.

Last year our scoring often came from one person who often forgot that there were four other players on the floor. Our scoring will come from a wide variety of players depending on the opposition defense. Blake and Devoe can certainly hit from the outside and I believe we have added some talent that can do so also. Our inside game will much improved with one more year under the belt with our big men and Trevor added to the mix. If they focus on Blake and Devoe that will open our big men and visa versa.

We have a great coach. He has now built his team and I am super excited about the prospects for this coming season. The key thing with Tubby is that word team!!!! The team will play great defense and will run the floor. I can't wait to see how much Nolan has improved.

Al nolen has deffinately improved. watching him at pulley i forgot that he was a great true PG unlike devoe who should take westbrooks title as scorer at 2g, but nolen clearly made the freshman better and he was hitting 3s all day, the game i went to he had 4 or 5 keep in mind those are NBA threes. He is prolly going to surprise people who haven't seen him play since last november

This team will have (possibly) four 4-star players on the starting lineup, and one off the bench ... (Not that stars matter a whole lot) but this team can definitely compete hard with anyone.

Thanks guys. I hope you're right about the scoring. Go Gophers!

I think Trevor mixed with the Colton that played like a possessed man in the Big 10 Tourney will make us a force inside, something we have not had for a while.

Top Bottom