B10 season

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
all the boards had this convo, now that trevor looks to be a goph, lets see where we fit in. Most boards say we are a middle of the pack team, they arent counting on Al, Trev, Devoe,Ralph and Colt being stars like we know they can be so they are going to be surprised when we hand number 4 ranked Purdue a 10 point loss at Mackey.

1. Michigan State
1. Illinois (tied)
2. Purdue, Osu, Minny (tied)
6. Wisconsin
7. NW
8. Indiana
9. Michigan
10. Penn State
11. Iowa

feel free to make some predicitons.

1. Michigan State
2. Purdue
3. Ohio State
4. Wisconsin
5. Minnesota (finally, a bye for the BTT)
6. Illinois
7. Northwestern
8. Penn State
9. Indiana
10. Iowa
11. Michigan

About 5th spot is good for me, until I see the juniors consistently take their game up a notch. If they do take that next step and bring it on a night to night basis, I can see potential for a top 3 finish, especially if Rodney also is able to make a jump in his game.

all the boards had this convo, now that trevor looks to be a goph, lets see where we fit in. Most boards say we are a middle of the pack team, they arent counting on Al, Trev, Devoe,Ralph and Colt being stars like we know they can be so they are going to be surprised when we hand number 4 ranked Purdue a 10 point loss at Mackey.

1. Michigan State
1. Illinois (tied)
6. Wisconsin
7. NW
8. Indiana
9. Michigan
10. Penn State
11. Iowa

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/pur/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2010MBBProspectus.pdf here is Purdue preview.

Like Gophers, Boilers have 13 on scholarship and 3 eligible walk-ons. Srs Hummel, Johnson, and Moore will get 100 minutes PT. The other 10 scholarship Boilers will split the other 100 minutes.

1. Michigan State
2. Purdue
3. Ohio State
4. Wisconsin
5. Minnesota (finally, a bye for the BTT)
6. Illinois
7. Northwestern
8. Penn State
9. Indiana
10. Iowa
11. Michigan

I'd put Gophers 3rd (maybe) or 4th. Mich St on top, Purdue not far behind.

1. Michigan State
1. Illinois (tied)
6. Wisconsin
7. NW
8. Indiana
9. Michigan
10. Penn State
11. Iowa

:clap: Good one!

1. Purdue
2. MSU
3. Illinois
4. Wisconsin
5. OSU
6. Gophers
7. NU
8. IU
9. PSU
10. Michigan
11. Iowa

Good luck at Mackey.

I mean no disrespect to Purdue, classy coach team school program etc, but you have no depth, Hummel moore johnson and i guess jackson, one gets injured or in foul trouble and poof. Also why wisconsin at 4? dont give me that crap about "oh under Bo they've never finished out of the top 4" Jon Leuer can not do it all by himself, losing Hughes and Bohanon is big, and while Taylor is good, he is not all BT like bucky fans think.

"Jon Leuer can not do it all by himself."

True. Nor will he need to. If we've learned anything about the Badger program under Bo, it's that guys like Taylor, Nankivil, Jarmusz, Wilson, etc., who have had to wait their turn -- so to speak -- are poised to step in when key guys graduate. I would expect this season to be no different.

The Gophers certainly have the goods to finish ahead of the Badgers this season, but I wouldn't bank on it. That said, let's make it four in a row (and maybe 5) over the Badgers.

Wisconsin will not finish above the Gophers. There is no way that happens.

True. Nor will he need to. If we've learned anything about the Badger program under Bo, it's that guys like Taylor, Nankivil, Jarmusz, Wilson, etc., who have had to wait their turn -- so to speak -- are poised to step in when key guys graduate. I would expect this season to be no different.

The Gophers certainly have the goods to finish ahead of the Badgers this season, but I wouldn't bank on it. That said, let's make it four in a row over the Badgers this season.

Too bad "under Bo" they still can't beat Tubby :D

As the Gophers' head coach, Tubby is 3-2 vs. Bo. That's much better than Tubby's predecessor (1-8), for sure.

Really SS? jarmusz? heres wiskys team summary. Leuer, Nankivil, Taylor are the only players even worth mentioning. Leuer Nankivil Taylor< Joseph, Mbakwe, Hoffarber, Nolen, Ralph, Colt, RW. because realistically you cant say that Jarmuzs or whatever the f his name is or rob wilson or evans or berrgren are going to do anything of merit, because they're just not. they're not that good. And freshman? Dukan, Brust= Walker, Hollins, anderson is wayyy overrated.

I mean no disrespect to Purdue, classy coach team school program etc, but you have no depth, Hummel moore johnson and i guess jackson, one gets injured or in foul trouble and poof. Also why wisconsin at 4? dont give me that crap about "oh under Bo they've never finished out of the top 4" Jon Leuer can not do it all by himself, losing Hughes and Bohanon is big, and while Taylor is good, he is not all BT like bucky fans think.

F Hummel 30-35 mins, Byrd 5-10
C Johnson 30-35, Bade/Carroll/Marcius 5-10
G Moore 30-35, Smith 5-10
G Jackson 20-25, Hart 10-15, A Johnson 5-10
G Barlow 20-25, T Johnson 15-20

Boilers have lots of depth this year.

The Gophers certainly have the goods to finish ahead of the Badgers this season, but I wouldn't bank on it. That said, let's make it four in a row (and maybe 5) over the Badgers.

You are right about Bo Ryan, but don't discount Tubby's ability to get it done. He did a pretty nice job finishing this season after everything fell apart early in the year. A distraction free year (let's hope) with a veteran starting lineup should give them the Edge over Wisky.

You are right about Bo Ryan, but don't discount Tubby's ability to get it done. He did a pretty nice job finishing this season after everything fell apart early in the year. A distraction free year (let's hope) with a veteran starting lineup should give them the Edge over Wisky.

Finally. Thank you.

Go Gophers

"You are right about Bo Ryan, but don't discount Tubby's ability to get it done. He did a pretty nice job finishing this season after everything fell apart early in the year."

I agree 100%, though I'd change "pretty nice job" to "outstanding job" in terms of making something out of a season that had all the makings (post-Nolen ineligibility) of a season going down the drain. I'm amazed at the number of people who labeled last season a failure for Tubby & the Gophers. Yes, we had all kinds of problems that no program wants, bad publicity, etc., but Tubby made filet mignon out of Hamburger Helper considering all our off-court issues. He reeled the team back in at the very moment (after the Michigan debacle) it seemed the season was down the shi*ter. That's no easy chore for any coach, even the very best ones.

"You are right about Bo Ryan, but don't discount Tubby's ability to get it done. He did a pretty nice job finishing this season after everything fell apart early in the year."

I agree 100%, though I'd change "pretty nice job" to "outstanding job" in terms of making something out of a season that had all the makings (post-Nolen ineligibility) of a season going down the drain. I'm amazed at the number of people who labeled last season a failure for Tubby & the Gophers. Yes, we had all kinds of problems that no program wants, bad publicity, etc., but Tubby made filet mignon out of Hamburger Helper considering all our off-court issues. He reeled the team back in at the very moment (after the Michigan debacle) it seemed the season was down the shi*ter. That's no easy chore for any coach, even the very best ones.

He did that at UK in 2001-02 also. I saw them BARELY beat South Carolina by 1 on a last second shot but expected the team to finish under .500 for the season. They didn't.

Instead they finished 22-10 and made Sweet 16 losing to eventual NC Maryland by a few points.

I wouldn't consider 2009-10 Gopher results as Filet Mignon. Maybe Steak & Shake burgers.

Fair enough. He turned it into Steak & Shake considering how things looked after the Michigan embarrassment.

I believe OSU, MSU, Purdue and Illinois will be the top 4 teams, not sure what order, but I think those teams should end up the top four - of course, things don't always go according to plan, so teams like Wisconsin and Minnesota could get into the top-4, but I'm not expecting that at this time. So I think it's OSU/MSU/PU/ILL in some order then UW/MN in the 5/6 spots, and then the bottom five teams most likely will have NW and IU as the best of the bunch with Iowa/Michigan/PSU bringing up the rear. Hopefully there can be a fairly injury- and suspension-free year for the Big Ten this year after a rough year last season.

Illinois tying for first? Are you serious? No way Illinois does as well as Mich St. and better than Purdue and Osu, and no way we do as well as Purdue. Illinois will once again not do as well as a lot of people expect, and Wisconsin will do better than most people expect.

1. Michigan State
1. Illinois (tied)
6. Wisconsin
7. NW
8. Indiana
9. Michigan
10. Penn State
11. Iowa

1. You forget we have mbakwe, you really think Purdue can roll over us whenever just because they have robbie hummel? when we played them we didnt have nolen or mbakwe, we can definately beat purdue with robbie, and i hate to say it but he might not even be 100 % this season

No, I don't think Purdue can roll over us whenever just because they have Robbie Hummel... I could see us taking one game, but I do think they'll have a better BT record than us. Even if Hummel isn't 100%, he's still a really tough matchup for us. Anyway, what makes you think that Illinois can possibly do as well as Michigan State and do better than Purdue or even Osu?

1. You forget we have mbakwe, you really think Purdue can roll over us whenever just because they have robbie hummel? when we played them we didnt have nolen or mbakwe, we can definately beat purdue with robbie, and i hate to say it but he might not even be 100 % this season

they're the deepest team in the B10 next to michigan state, prolly deeper. maybe they wont be 1 idk, but i do know if tubby or izzo or painter had that team it would deffinately be first. i dont think weber is that great of a coach

Tier 1
1. Purdue-I am a Boilermaker so I might be a little biased.
2. MSU-If you put MSU first I won't argue with you.

Tier 2
3. Illinois-I will take experience and coaching over freshmen any day.
4. OSU-See Illinois.

Tier 3
5. Wisconsin-Never, ever count a Bo Ryan team.
6. Minnesota-Could easily climb up the ranking quickly.

Tier 4
7. NW-No Coble, no hope
8. IU-Marginally better, but that isn't that hard.

Tier 5.
9. Michigan-No Manny, No Sims.
10. PSU-Do they still even have Battle?(That question says all you need to know about PSU basketball)
11. Iowa-Starting all over once more

Tier 1
1. Purdue-I am a Boilermaker so I might be a little biased.
2. MSU-If you put MSU first I won't argue with you.

Tier 2
3. Illinois-I will take experience and coaching over freshmen any day.
4. OSU-See Illinois.

Tier 3
5. Wisconsin-Never, ever count a Bo Ryan team.
6. Minnesota-Could easily climb up the ranking quickly.

Tier 4
7. NW-No Coble, no hope
8. IU-Marginally better, but that isn't that hard.

Tier 5.
9. Michigan-No Manny, No Sims.
10. PSU-Do they still even have Battle?(That question says all you need to know about PSU basketball)
11. Iowa-Starting all over once more

I've got to put MSU at the top just because of depth. Bade and Byrd looked terrible last year when they were thrown meaningful minutes. Losing Kramer means someone else has to step up big time in that area.

I think your tier 2 and 3 can be combined and flip flop Illinois and OSU. Illinois' seems to always underachieve with their current leaders (Sr's)

So mnboiler, you feel Purdue and MSU have "experience and coaching" whereas Illinois and OSU do not? I can't say I fully understand with or agree with your claims. Illinois has four seniors in their rotation (3 of which are returning starters and the spot the other senior would be starting is likely being taken by a McD's AA frosh) and a coach who's led a team to the national title game. OSU has 4 starters returning who have an average of 3 years in college (Lighty is 5th yr senior, Buford a junior) and a coach who's led a team to the national title game. Of any of those four, I'd say Purdue has the head coach with the worst resume - not saying Painter is bad, but I don't think it's fair to call him a great coach yet. Painter has cashed in on a great 2007 recruiting class for three years but hasn't really added any great players to that core since - Purdue should've won the league outright last year but didn't and I put that on the coach. I'm going to wait to see what he can do after those guys graduate before being convinced Painter as a great coach. And it's not like Purdue has a lot more experience than Illinois or OSU - three senior starters for Purdue and one junior (the same as OSU), and just sophomores and freshmen after that. Just because Illinois will most likely start one sophomore and one freshman doesn't mean they don't have enough experience to win.

Wait and see...

SS - For the most part, I agree on Bo/Bucky. I still contend that they feasted on the Big Ten over a period where the BT was as bad as it's been in a long long time. That's just not the case anymore.

If Wisky is successful NEXT season ('11-'12), after the departures of Leuer, Nankivil, and role players like Jarmusz, Gavinski, et al, THEN I will gladly concede that Bo and Wisky are "all that". The reason I say next season is this current group mentioned is that last group that Bo was able to bring in without having to compete against competent coaches at schools like Michigan, Indiana, and Minnesota. In the last 2-3 season, he hasn't had his pick like he had in years past against the likes of Amaker, Monson, Davis, et al.

As far as this year, losing Bohannon and Hughes will hurt, a lot, but they'll still be solid. Although I'm obviously biased, I subjectively agree with another poster who said there's no way they finish higher than the Gophers. I think that would be tough.

Top Bottom