Gopher Stock A "Buy"

Duluthguy

Reaction score
I'll have to admit that after last season I would have rated the Gophers' stock a sell, and I still don't think you could prove that Brewster is a good coach in a court of law. (Not saying that he isn't, just that the verdict is still out.) However, after reading and hearing all of the reports and comments about this year's team, it's hard not to get the feeling that there's a profound change taking place in the program.

There may be a lot of talk about the relative inexperience of some elements of the team, but when in the last twenty years have you heard the word "talented" used to describe so many players in just about every position? There may be some freshmen playing this year, but there's very little talk of having to throw so-and-so to the wolves because there just isn't anyone else to turn to. There's always talk about competition in fall practice, but it always used to be competition to see who was the best of a mediocre group. Now it seems to be more of a case of talent pushing talent. Instead of hearing the word "undersized" used to describe players at almost every position, you're hearing words like "freak" and "beast." Previous Gopher teams seemed to suffer from a case of too much "Minnesota nice," but you're starting to hear the word "nasty" much more. Talk about almost every position being thin is now replaced, in most cases, with talk about a growing depth with truly talented back-ups. Recruiting is no longer picking whatever meat is left on the bones after all the big boys are done - though it has a ways to go. It appears Brewster is finally getting a real feel of what it takes to be a good head coach. There's a pretty good staff in place. And, you can actually look forward to future years with a reasonable expectation of things getting better.

If the Gophers could manage a few breakthrough wins this year, something special, at least in terms of recent history, just may be on the horizon. No, I haven't drank the Koolaid, but you'd have to be pretty negative not to see signs of encouragement.

I'm getting this feeling too, although I tend to be more optimistic than most.

A few really good signs:

Horton simplifying things on O
Cosgrove in year 2 of a simple D scheme
Size and physique of players is impressive, almost to an unheard of level
Speed on D, Size up front
Talk of RSfreshmen contributing(anytime you can redshirt talent that can help you as true freshmen it's a good sign)
Calm and confident coaching staff and players
Overall solid feeling top to bottom that everyone knows what the heck they're doing.
If Brewster had come in with this overall program in 07'(some talent/speed, solid coaching staff, calm and confident aura, etc) he would have seen more success the last few years.

I can't explain how impressed I am by the look and physical shape the team is in this year, really impressive. It's going to pay off down the road.

I agree...it's just that I hear good stuff around this time every year and then I get pumped up only to be let down by the on field product later(though I do see your mentioned differences this year). idk it seems lik everything I read (not on here or FBT) about us prediction wise says we're gonna tank it. Now I understand in their eyes a ton of are guys are unproven that's a big reason for that. I guess hopefully they come out of camp w/ a chip on their shoulder ready to shock some people

Here are the consensus Big Ten final standings for 2010 as just completed in my highly scientific survey of Big Ten fans. My question of 10,000 randomly selected fans was "how will your favorite team to this year"?

1. OSU 8-0
2. PSU 7-1
3. Iowa 7-1
4. Wis. 7-1
5. MSU 5-3
6. NU 4-4
7. PU 4-4
8. Mich 4-4 (or else)
9. MN 3-5
10 IU 3-5
11 UI 3-5 (or else)

Note the lack of losses here in August. Somehow, Big Ten teams are going to win 22 more Big Ten games than they will lose. These predictions are from the fans who know "the facts" best for their teams. I'm convinced.

Interesting study. I guess hope springs eternal in August. As you note the zero sum game rule isn't being followed. My first impressions:

1.Bucknut fans are psychotic
2.PSU, Iowa, and UW are not ALL going to go 7-1. In fact, its probably mathematically impossibly, assuming they all play each other.
3.I'd bet against SCum going 4-4
4.Us going 3-5 is probably rounding up a little bit, as is MSU going 5-3
5.I'll be surprised if Indiana and Illinois muster 3 wins combined.

Still its an interesting indication of how hope springs eternal in August.

2.PSU said:
sure its possible, PSU beats Iowa, Iowa beats UW, UW beats PSU and they all win the rest. Not going to happen, since we are going to beat all 3 of them. Just the nitpicker in me coming out.

Calm and confident coaching staff and players
Overall solid feeling top to bottom that everyone knows what the heck they're doing.

You're kidding, right? These are "signs" you've picked up? How do you even know what the staff is feeling and thinking on the inside? How did you know that they weren't calm and confident before? Were they running around screaming wildly or admit to you they didn't know what they were doing?

Size and physique of players is impressive, almost to an unheard of level

Unheard of level? What!!!!???? Yeah, I'm sure Alabama, Florida, and Texas' players pale in comparison to our players' physique.

If Brewster had come in with this overall program in 07'(some talent/speed, solid coaching staff, calm and confident aura, etc) he would have seen more success the last few years

So how does this matter for what is happening this year?

I can see a couple of your points as reason for optimism, but don't try to bolster your opinions by trying to pass off ridiculous quasi-observations as factual statements.

I've got a bud light Lime right now. Kind of digging it.

That's it!!!

I've got a bud light Lime right now. Kind of digging it.

Turn in your guy card.
This statement rates right up there with "I'm out of Duct Tape."

Oh, and for those sarcasm impared...:rolleyes:

I know, the blue moon with the orange slice kind of stole most of my masculinity.

But I kind of thought corona with lime was allowed. I just figured it was more of the same.

forgive me.

Forgiven

I know, the blue moon with the orange slice kind of stole most of my masculinity.

But I kind of thought corona with lime was allowed. I just figured it was more of the same.

forgive me.

Plenty of guys are waylaid by slick ad campaigns, and fruit, when not around a glass of beer is O.K.

Top Bottom