Reaction from Trevor Mbakwe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherLady

Reaction score
I just spoke to Trevor, and the coaches do not want him to give any interviews at this time (completely understandable) - but he did allow me to use this comment:

You don't understand how excited I am. It hasn't even fully hit me yet.

Personally, I only know how excited I am for not only Trevor the basketball player, but more importantly, the man - who has been through so much in the past year, and handled it with class and maturity. I'm so happy his name will be clear, and he can move on!

congrats trevor! i wonder how happy gopherphan1 is or whatever the name is.

I just spoke to Trevor, and the coaches do not want him to give any interviews at this time (completely understandable) - but he did allow me to use this comment:

Personally, I only know how excited I am for not only Trevor the basketball player, but more importantly, the man - who has been through so much in the past year, and handled it with class and maturity. I'm so happy his name will be clear, and he can move on!

So can we put the Memphis speculation to rest, or is that going to linger?

Great news cant wait to see him dominate the boards this season, about time we finally got some good news.

I would say that it is a good sign that Trevor is following the University of Minnesota coaches orders not to discuss the result of the case with the media. If he were leaving, I would guess that he may disregard their advice.

I would say that it is a good sign that Trevor is following the University of Minnesota coaches orders not to discuss the result of the case with the media.

Royce would already be posting a video.

Also, reaction from Paul Carter- Yeaaaah buddy my boy Trevor is a freeman!!! God is good!!!!!!!! Charges dropped!!!

First things first. Congratulations, Trevor, this has been a trauma few can appreciate and you have really handled it as a gentleman. Secondly, here's hoping we see you in Gopher Gold this year!

Per Myron's Tweet:

Gophers forward Trevor Mbakwe says "I haven't made a 100% decision yet" on playing for Gophers but says he will play in 2010-11.

Per Myron's Tweet:

Gophers forward Trevor Mbakwe says "I haven't made a 100% decision yet" on playing for Gophers but says he will play in 2010-11.

Since the former is the only way the latter can happen, sounds like he's already made up his mind.

Per Myron's Tweet:
Um...unless he's playing IM's at either the U or Memphis, he better be 100% that he's playing for the Gophers, because he surely isn't getting a waiver this year to play anywhere else.

I'll bet my next paycheck on it; the NCAA doesn't just grant waivers out for his circumstances.

Translation: "I'll be a Gopher if my suspension is lifted, otherwise I'm headed elsewhere (wherever that may be or whatever it might entail)."

Just found out about Trevor and didn't' know which thread to post in. It's great news for Trevor to finally have this behind him and I hope he can now find some stability in his life. It would seem to be very difficult to always be adjusting to a new environment, not to mention having something like this hanging over his head. I can't imagine the sense of relief Trevor must feel right now to finally not have to think about the potential consequences of a trial.

It sounds to me like Trevor's not going to be going to Memphis, which makes sense. It'll be awesome to see him in Maroon and Gold this year.

Was his attorney a public defender? If so, he was good...very good.

GophersNow (Marcus Fuller):
Trevor Mbakwe told me in a text today that he will "probably" decide on whether to play for the Gophers or somewhere else next week.

NCAA waiver would determine whether he can play next year anywhere but Minnesota.

If he starts practicing August 21st for Canada trip, that's a good sign.

Play somewhere else?

With the adjudication of Trevor's case and his reinstatement into the Gopher program, does he seriously think he could play anywhere but Minnesota next year? Does he seriously think the NCAA would grant him a waiver and declare him eligible to play immediately if he were to transfer to, say, Memphis, given his good standing at Minnesota?

As I see it, unless there are extenuating circumstances no one has foreseen, there is zero chance he'll leave the U. If he does...well, he's a fool.

With the adjudication of Trevor's case and his reinstatement into the Gopher program, does he seriously think he could play anywhere but Minnesota next year? Does he seriously think the NCAA would grant him a waiver and declare him eligible to play immediately if he were to transfer to, say, Memphis, given his good standing at Minnesota?

As I see it, unless there are extenuating circumstances no one has foreseen, there is zero chance he'll leave the U. If he does...well, he's a fool.

Since he is reinstated as a Gopher my question would be: Why is he still considering a transfer?

Since he is reinstated as a Gopher my question would be: Why is he still considering a transfer?

Brett Favre is his idol ...

In all seriousness, my guess is he is being patient. He just got the best news probably of his life, and is not really thinking about basketball yet. Plus, I am sure he wants to sit down with Tubby and Joel and make the right decision for himself.

My guess is that he is just trying to take things one step at a time, and in the end, I see him coming back to MN.

Although I think the U absolutely handled this the right way, I can see Mbakwe thinking he got screwed. If so, he might let some people twist in the wind a bit until he has to declare his intentions. Expecting he'll be on board next week, but having been a Gopher fan for quite some years, there's a little uneasiness until he's actually practicing.

Although I think the U absolutely handled this the right way, I can see Mbakwe thinking he got screwed. If so, he might let some people twist in the wind a bit until he has to declare his intentions.

That's exactly what I was expecting. I will be extremely surprised if we hear much about it until closer to the day practice starts. I can't blame the young man, I would feel salty about the situation if I was in his shoes. His options are pretty limited at this point it would seem.

Once the ball drops Joel will be an afterthought. Stay for your teammates and coaches who have stood behind you.

Trevor got a great deal, a mere slap on the wrist. His attorney's delay tactics worked perfectly.

Trevor got a great deal, a mere slap on the wrist. His attorney's delay tactics worked perfectly.

Are you kidding me?? "slap on the wrist" If Trevor is not the one who assaulted the woman, he has paid a horrible price already and will continue to pay a price (taint) for a long time to come. I happen to strongly beleive that he was not the perp in that incident.

There is sooooo much reasonable doubt that I can't see how he would have lost anything at trial other than time, energy, contentment and money. I can easily develope a scenario in which his former FL teammate who was recently released from the KY program for questionable (character) reasons is a far more likely suspect than Trevor. Also the occurance of the same type of crime in the same area by someone who appears very similar to Trevor while he was in MN causes additional concern that he has been abused in this process.

Please try to beleive in Trevor. His actions reflect a quality individual.

Gopher Warrior, what type of impact do you think Trevor will have in the BT? Just curious to hear what you think.

Are you kidding me?? "slap on the wrist" If Trevor is not the one who assaulted the woman, he has paid a horrible price already and will continue to pay a price (taint) for a long time to come. I happen to strongly beleive that he was not the perp in that incident.

There is sooooo much reasonable doubt that I can't see how he would have lost anything at trial other than time, energy, contentment and money. I can easily develope a scenario in which his former FL teammate who was recently released from the KY program for questionable (character) reasons is a far more likely suspect than Trevor. Also the occurance of the same type of crime in the same area by someone who appears very similar to Trevor while he was in MN causes additional concern that he has been abused in this process.

Please try to beleive in Trevor. His actions reflect a quality individual.

If Trevor did the crime like the victim claims, he is getting off easily. I wished this case went to trial so his guilt or innocence could be better determined. I don't blame Trevor for taking the deal, especially if he did it. If he didn't do it, I wished he had gone to trial to clear his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom