KSTP Sports 6 Month Check-In

wait!what?

Reaction score
OK, 6 mos. ago KSTP switches to sports format.
Aside from the ESPN programming dropped in places it appears it is the same as prior to Feb weekends are still mortgage/gardening talk.

I'll take your bait and ramble for a bit... national sports with mike & mike and cowherd talking more MN sports because of the addition here... all morning long, mult. times an hour, there are local sports updates with reactionary sound from the night before... reusse and mackey talk all sports from 12-2 (a change locally in that slot)... souhan is on everyday at 2:40p -- like or dislike, you get sports talk w/ him ... Joe Schmit and I do an hour call-in show after every Twins weeknight game... Sunday morning sports talk includes the Gardy show... and then 2 more hours of talk (same as before)... Phunn does a Sat. show that is 2 hours of all-sports... shameless plug: I am in for him this Sat. 4p-5:40p, and will have MV on at 4:25p.
Sorry if you listen at 6 or 7a on Sat/Sun mornings... like just about every station in town, those are opportunities to generate additional revenue with very specific programming.

KSTP is now slightly less sucky than KFAN. I still wish we had a true all-sports station in the Twin Cities.

I prefer the local lineup from 1500 over KFAN (in general). The early morning stuff on 1500 is the same that you would hear from nearly any national show. And they all spend way too much time on the NFL (for my taste). I will not listen to Cowherd...he is absolutely horrible, and in the scant few times I have listened to him, I could not be farther away from him or his observations. He is caricature personified.

I get that Souchary comes on at 2:00 to talk sports before his solo slot, but he seems so disconnected and wants to appear to be above sports, that he is a distraction. I would prefer they find something else to do with those two hours, and just allow him to do his own show, with his own ideas on how to program that time.

I will be taking Doogie's cue and e-mailing as per a previous post (below). I have been on vacation, otherwise I would have done this a while ago. I would really like to see a local show from 9-12 in the Cowherd slot.

Dan Seeman: [email protected]

Dan is interested in Gophers-related programming... the hiccup is the Twins schedule through maybe mid-Oct. (with a possible playoff run). But there's no reason with P-Mac (U alum), Phil Miller on regularly, Brew & Weber w/ Reusse & P-Mac occasionally, my contributions, 1500espn.com becoming a go-to site in town for all local sports coverage, some other ideas, etc. why 1500 ESPN can't have the best mainstream Gophers coverage (football & hoops) in town.

Hey Doogie, props for having MV on and props for having Royston. Any Gopher talk is great, especially when its with someone that actually knows what's going on with the team.

replace the Sat gardening and mortgage show with football chat prior to and during FB season. 'My hydrangias won't bloom.'

I have not turned on 1130AM much in some time now. Mike&Mike are good as they talk sports while the boys at KFAN rip Mark Rosen and talk music and movies. Cowherd is a great listen and I could listen to Reusse all day long. I like having a couple options, but ESPN1500 is a better format and better listen right now.

I like Cowherd and Scott Van Pelt. XM/Sirrus is so nice for people stuck in this market.

Cowherd is awful......just awful. I'd rather listen to PA..and thats says a lot.

Cowherd is awesome....best show on the station.

Gopher Saturdays ; 1500 just has to pull 10-12 gardening show. Gotta be Golden Saturdays beginning 9/11/2010 for 11A starts.

Gopher Saturdays ; 1500 just has to pull 10-12 gardening show. Gotta be Golden Saturdays beginning 9/11/2010 for 11A starts.

Were you aware that there are people on planet Earth with interests that are different from yours?

Clearly, some people like the programming, or they wouldn't have it on.

I just wish Soucheray was a sports show. Now I listen to music until 9 a.m., PA until noon, Reusse until 3 p.m., and then back to Barreiro if he's talking sports. If not, I stick with Soucheray as long as I can stand it. Just to be clear, only Barreiro if he's not ripping the Gophers, Mauer or weather terrorists. If so, I turn him off and go national.

nice addition

I know people hate Reusse, but he really does have historical knowledge and perspective. And he can be funny. He also is a very good interviewer. His show has booked some very good interviews.

His cohort Mackey is VERY good. Best combination of knowledge on sports and interesting presentation in the market. Hands down.

I also like the KSTP website. Pelissaro on Twins. Reusse. Some nice bits by Wolfson.

I know people hate Reusse, but he really does have historical knowledge and perspective. And he can be funny. He also is a very good interviewer. His show has booked some very good interviews.

I've taken my shots at Reusse and his "past his prime" writings and less than ambitious efforts, but I have to admit I do enjoy him on the radio. He is a really good storyteller, has a sound base of Minnesota sports knowledge, and doesn't take himself too seriously. He's just as apt to rip himself as he is to rip Brewster. His laugh cracks me up. I find myself listening to him whenever he's on and I'm around a radio. Never thought I'd say that, but he is pretty entertaining in this new setup. And, I agree, Mackey is pretty good.

Anyone else notice Cowherd sounds just like Glen Quagmire (Family Guy)?

there are so many haters on gopherhole. ive seen so much hate against kfan its rediculous.. just dont listen to it if you don't like it.

there are so many haters on gopherhole. ive seen so much hate against kfan its rediculous.. just dont listen to it if you don't like it.

Don't read the comments if they bother you. Gophers fans have put up with their uninformed arrogant crap for way too long.

I'd like to check Reusse's show out, but KSTP's lack of a Blackberry app prevents it. Any chance of that happening anytime soon, Doogie? I hate that WCCO is the only of the main stations I can get.

Kfan made their bed, pulled their own covers over their heads, now they can breathe it all in. They deserve every stinky moment of it.

Gertens is a major advertiser on 1500.

Were you aware that there are people on planet Earth with interests that are different from yours?

Clearly, some people like the programming, or they wouldn't have it on.

More likely that these shows have contracts and the station has contracts with vendors that need to expire.

Maturi was on this afternoon, anyone catch the interview?

I've got a radio in my office and I often have it tuned to a sports talk show during the day. My rotation is either 1500, KFAN, or 690 when I'm listening to talk radio (not music). I've sampled all of the weekday shows of all 3 stations for a while now and if you're interested in my opinion, I'll share it here.

Early Morning:
1500 - Mike & Mike - Boring at times. Without question the blandest of all shows. They're not really funny but they only talk sports, which if you want your morning fill of it, you won't find anything better. Probably give the broadest national perspective on a topic of any show.

1130 - Superstar Mike Morris. - Spends way too much time talking about metal rock. Really don't care about it. Do like Sludge's humor. Do some good bits every so often. Some dude named MeatSauce is a good bit as well. Rosen is usually on from 8-9 AM and that's always enjoyable. Often has me laughing at some of their conversations, like a couple of weeks ago when they ambushed a Canadian radio show's producer on air calling KFAN for reaction to the Koivu extension. Laughed my butt off.

690 - Stephen A. Smith - Absolutey brutal. Only listen if the other 2 shows are talking about boring subjects and I'm not in the mood to listen to music. Why won't he just go away?

Mid Morning:
1500 - Cowherd - Actually like listening to him. He's incredibly stubburn and when he's wrong (put in a box), he'll make it personal to the person/caller calling him out. Usually though, he does a good job putting the mouth-breathers in their place. Hates biased fans and that's fun to see him rip on them.

1130 - PA - Needs a sidekick. Listening to him talk for 3 hours is difficult. He has all of these strange voices that get old quickly. Admits he's not an expert on things other than the NFL and the NBA, which I appreciate the honesty but he's a freakin sports talk show host...he should be able to speak to/about college athletics and the other major sports without sounding like an idiot, especially when there's not much humor in his show.

690 - Dan Patrick - Ugh. He used to be so good on the radio. Now he comes across as pathetic. I just don't find him funny. Was at his best back in the day with Rob Dibble. He trys waaaaaay too hard to seem young and hip. Gives a good national perspective at times and does good interviews with Reggie Miller, Barkley, Costos, etc but when he goes off topic, it's a tough listen.

Lunch time

1500 - Ruesse and Mackey (with Souch at 2 PM) - Actually not too bad. Stays on topic. Reusse gives alot of history behind a local topic. I don't find them funny at all and rarely break any news as Reusse has written himself out of his connections over the years but if you want something local put into perspective, this is the best show.

1130 - Common Man - Honestly, I used to hate the guy and I know hate is a strong word. He actually is OK now. Love his soundbites and his conversations with Rosen from 2-3 (love Rosen BTW). Doesn't take himself seriously at all, which is the exact opposite from what follows him on his station. Won't get anything useful in terms of sports talk or some new idea but I've found that he's at least talking sports more than he used to and it tends to have a pretty funny spin. I never in 1 million years thought I'd say this (as I actually wrote a letter to KFAN 10 years ago telling them to fire his butt because of how awful he was) but his show can be listenable.

690 - Jim Rome - Without question, the most polarizing sports talk personality. People either love him or hate him. I'm in the former. Not a funnier show out there. His bit of ripping on his listeners emails and calls despite them being a big reason why people listen is hilarious at times. He's one big bit himself and his interviews aren't nearly as good as he thinks they are but over the years I've found myself laughing so hard I cried at some of the segments on his show related to his callers and emailers.

Afternoon drive

1500 - Souch - Not a sports talk show so I'm not going to share my opinion.

1130 - Barriero - Just brutal. The most miserable person in the world. Constantly negative. Every compliment is backhanded. His sidekick Justin Gaard is just as bad. Sarcastically negative almost all of the time. Their main goal appears to be to tick off their listeners. They can't honestly believe all that they say, can they? Never seen someone go further out of his way to not be a homer. What he doesn't seem to understand is there is a middle ground somewhere between being a complete dipwad and an unabashed homer. I've gone a whole month without listening to him and that streak may never end.

690 - Tim Brando - If you like College Football talk, this would be your show. Granted it's heavily tilted towards the SEC but I'll be honest with you...it's a nice change of pace listening to CF talk in June and July. Also talks alot of College Basketball, but mostly just in season. Not a bad national show.

Good reviews Pewterschmidt...except Common is still "Unlistenable" in my opinion. Same jokes over and over and over again just like back in Jr High (or is it Middle School now?).

Doogie mentioned earlier in this thread that "Mike and Mike" talk more Minnesota sports because they are now on here in MInnesota. I beg to differ there as well. It is still pretty much Yankees, Red Sox, Jets and Giants..Unless you consider Bret Farve talk Minnesota Sports talk. But I do agree, they are...

Without question the blandest of all shows

I know people hate Reusse, but he really does have historical knowledge and perspective.

He may have historical knowledge, but it's impossible to take anything he says on baseball seriously given he once wrote, "Gentleman Joe is a Star Tribune baseball writer and also the Twin Cities' leading advocate for OPS, a make-believe number that Bill James acolytes have embraced. How often must we say this, Joe? Runs scored and RBI mean something; OPS doesn't."

Top Bottom