Shooter Says (Clipped) Mbakwe News?

Reaction score
DON'T PRINT THAT

The hot rumor Wednesday was that there would be a favorable resolution today to the case of Trevor Mbakwe, the Gophers basketball player who has had an Aug. 23 trial date in Miami for felony assault. Minnesota officials, though, say it's merely a rumor.

DON'T PRINT THAT

The hot rumor Wednesday was that there would be a favorable resolution today to the case of Trevor Mbakwe, the Gophers basketball player who has had an Aug. 23 trial date in Miami for felony assault. Minnesota officials, though, say it's merely a rumor.

I sure hope so. So speculate even further, if there were to be yet another in a long series of postponements, it could be the end of the line in the prosecutions efforts to bring the matter to trial.

My curiosity is piqued. Facebook is quiet as well as Twitter. I'm pretty sure there was a pretrial hearing of some sort today but the Miami-Dade website keeps returning an error for his case search.

Maybe they're confident there could be a dismissal?

I just did a case search, and it worked. It says there is a hearing today at 9:00 am. Another deposition was taken on 8/9. Seems like something has changed. Hopefully good news today.

For better or worse, let's hope this case is resolved by Sept. 7. The basketball program doesn't need this to drag into another school year/season.

I just did a case search, and it worked. It says there is a hearing today at 9:00 am. Another deposition was taken on 8/9. Seems like something has changed. Hopefully good news today.

Yep, I saw it now too. Strange, as I thought the Miami-Dade spokesperson indicated that all the depo's had been done a while ago.

Well, here's hoping it gets done and then Trevor stays here.

oooh .. oooh .. pick me ..

I think I read on the off-topic board about the allowing reverse Williams rule evidence thing.

I'm probably completely wrong but here goes anyway ..

The Miami-Dade person did say that the depositions were done. From my recollection of the Williams rule was something along the lines of the defense not being able to bring into evidence that similar crimes had occured in the area.

Could the new deposition be one of the victims of a similar crime that could exonerate Trevor?

Yep, I saw it now too. Strange, as I thought the Miami-Dade spokesperson indicated that all the depo's had been done a while ago.

Well, here's hoping it gets done and then Trevor stays here.

If his case gets resolved the NCAA waiver allowing him to play wherever he chooses next season would be much more likely. I just hope he decides to stay with his gopher family, he is the must get.

Alrighty, If someone could explain what this means?

REPORT RE: DEF PROS PGM-ACC/REJ SET FOR 08/26/2010 AT 09:00

Match-up's I'm most looking forward to watching this season.

Jared Sullinger vs. Trevor Mbakwe (plus Colt vs. Lauderdale)

Diggs & Rundles vs. Devoe & Nolen

After those, Trevor vs. anyone.

Alrighty, If someone could explain what this means?

REPORT RE: DEF PROS PGM-ACC/REJ SET FOR 08/26/2010 AT 09:00

Googling turned up this:

Deferred prosecution program - accept/reject set for specific date.

It means that the court is going to make a decision to accept or reject deferred prosecution for the defendant on that date.

If the court accepts the agreement, I think the U will allow him to play during the deferral period.

Huge news.

If the court accepts the agreement, I think the U will allow him to play during the deferral period.

Huge news.

Agreed. I hope the court accepts, Maturi allows him to play and the team convinces him to stay. This is about as close as you can get to having the charges dropped without actually having them dropped.

More googling . . .

Does deferred prosecution mean you have to admit to the felony you've been accused of?
<HR></HR>No. Generally, there are two types of deferred resolutions to criminal charges: a deferred prosecution and a deferred judgment.

In a deferred prosecution, the proceedings in a criminal case are put off for a period of time, say one year, subject to certain conditions. The typical condition is that the defendant not be charged or convicted of other crimes during this period. At the end of the time period, if all conditions have been met, the charges are dismissed. No plea of guilty or judgment of conviction is entered. If the defendant doesn't comply with the conditions of the deferred prosecution, the prosecution of the case continues and the defendant can either plead guilty or go to trial.

With a deferred judgment, the defendant must enter a plea of guilty. The case is continued for a period of time subject to certain conditions, usually including that the defendant not be convicted of another crime. If the defendant satisfies these conditions, at the end of the time period the guilty plea is considered withdrawn and no judgment of conviction or sentence is entered. While the defendant is free to say he's never been convicted of a crime, the guilty plea could have possible future ramifications. For example, deferred judgments are counted in computing a defendant's criminal history score under the federal sentencing guidelines.

In addition, if the defendant violates the terms of a deferred judgment, the guilty plea goes into effect and the court will proceed to sentencing without a trial. Obviously, from a defendant's standpoint, a deferred prosecution is preferable to a deferred judgment. Prosecutors also offer it far less frequently.

Jared Sullinger vs. Trevor Mbakwe (plus Colt vs. Lauderdale)

Diggs & Rundles vs. Devoe & Nolen

After those, Trevor vs. anyone.

Oh yea? im looking foward to Derrick Nix vs. Mo Walker, (Plus Draymond Green vs. Mbakwe) beat that battle of big men

Tweets from Mryon:

Miami District Attorney spokesperson: Trevor Mbakwe to enter Pre-Trial lntervention program, case eventually dropped after comm. service.

Mbakwe will have to perform 100 hours of community service, make $100 donation to facility for abuse victims and stay away from victim.

Oh yea? im looking foward to Derrick Nix vs. Mo Walker, (Plus Draymond Green vs. Mbakwe) beat that battle of big men

I like those also... I don't know if Mo will be a very exciting player or not, but Trevor will put on a show.

Still looking forward to seeing our local Wollford boys in action as far as guard play.

Thanks for the clarifications nooram & Myron. That is good news. If Trevor accepts the deferral and if he decides to vacate his waiver request and if JM allows him to become an unrestricted member of Minnesota citizenry. Still a lot of ifs. But looking positive. Why the wait until 8/26? The wheels of bureaucracy.

Also, I think that the A.D.D. comments about 'dream matchups' that are juxtaposed in this thread are hilarious.

Also, I think that the A.D.D. comments about 'dream matchups' that are juxtaposed in this thread are hilarious.

Thanks neighbor... 85308.

The thread has to do with Trevor being cleared to play, I don't see why there would be a problem saying how much I want to see he match up against Jared Sullinger.

you saying something about the Nix man and MO? just cause they weigh a combined 580 pounds dosnet mean you can rip on them

Thanks neighbor... 85308.

The thread has to do with Trevor being cleared to play, I don't see why there would be a problem saying how much I want to see he match up against Jared Sullinger.

OK neighbor... 85310

Maybe we could meet. I have ASU season tickets and if my wife can't go w/ me?

Also, I thought that the timing was beautiful comic relief.

Top Bottom