Amazing quote from Maturi

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
"And again, everything that's better is relative because it's dependent upon how good the other teams are," Maturi said. "I think for football fans, our home schedule may be as attractive as I can ever remember, not just in my nine years now at the university but even historically, being that I was born and raised a Gopher. I'll tell you what -- obviously South Dakota, which is neat because of the proximity and hopefully the eventual rivalry that might develop there."

Rivalry.....with South Dakota? He's kidding right? A rivalry with a no D1 school?

Art, not sure I'm with you on this one, just let it be. You're aborting the context here !

Reminds me of Mark Dayton

Yammers and stammers. Maturi is yammers, Dayton is stammers. Entirely clueless as to how each are are where they are.

Looks like Joel is giving Miss South Carolina a run for her money!

I strangely agree with you, Art. USD is not a school with which we should try to develop a rivalry. If they tried to make us their rivals (as NDSU so adorably does) then I would understand it. But, why the heck is he trying to build this? This man needs to retire...now.

I don't see a link provided to the quote, but is context really needed? The words rivalry and South Dakota (or North Dakota or any other irrelevant school) should never be in the same sentence unless it's "Obviously, this is not a rivalry game with South Dakota, but it's nice to give the revenue to a bordering state school that has a significant number of Minnesota kids on the roster and as undergrads".

This might be worse than Maturi comparing the football team he's been in charge of for 8 years to the Chicago Cubs. I guess when you've kept the job for 8 years, haven't won a title in football or basketball, botched two major firings, you really don't have to worry about what you say. If that resume hasn't gotten you fired, nothing will.

Yammers and stammers. Maturi is yammers, Dayton is stammers. Entirely clueless as to how each are are where they are.

Can you name even one experienced AD anywhere in the country who would consider taking the Minnesota job? You guys are all hanging your hats on the idea that whoever replaces Maturi is going to be able to turn around over 40 years of utter sports futility in just a couple of years. Wake up - it is not going to happen.

Under the new U of M president a new AD is probably going to have less power and influence than Maturi currently has with Bruininks who is a strong supporter of intercollegiate athletics. Why do you believe that the new president is going to care much about sports? The history of the Board of Regents has usually been to appoint liberal pinheads who think that sports are beneath them.

With the huge budgetary problems at the U, and the need for program cuts with faculty and employee layoffs, the last thing the new U president is going to be worried about is the number of Gopher football wins. Where do you think the athletics department and the AD is going to rank on the new U president's priority list? It always ranks high at most successful Divison I schools but rarely has that been the case at the U.

And because most football fans in Minnesota care more about the professional football team in the state there has never been much pressure on the Board of Regents to do anything differently, or even spend much time worrying about the fortunes of the Gopher football team. Now the Gopher hockey team - that is a different story.

Selling The Home Schedule

Artie?It's from Sid's column; looks like Maturi's trying to pump up the Home schedule, particularly the South Dakota game. Probably worried, and rightfully so, about the no show factor for the game.

"And again, everything that's better is relative because it's dependent upon how good the other teams are," Maturi said. "I think for football fans, our home schedule may be as attractive as I can ever remember, not just in my nine years now at the university but even historically, being that I was born and raised a Gopher. I'll tell you what -- obviously South Dakota, which is neat because of the proximity and hopefully the eventual rivalry that might develop there. Northern Illinois, a bowl team last year, a real good MAC team, and I'm familiar with them. And then you've got the Northwesterns and Penn States and Ohio States in the Big Ten and Iowa, let alone talk about Southern Cal.

All the games Maturi mentioned are at TCF Bank Stadium. He believes, despite the tough schedule, the Gophers will be competitive.

"What that means in terms of wins and losses remains to be seen," Maturi said. "Health is a factor and breaks are a factor. But I like the looks of the team, I like their effort in the offseason. And I love the staff. You and I have talked about that, I think it's the best staff that Tim Brewster has put together, and hopefully we can have some continuity with these guys because I do think the future is bright."

How about this: anybody who has a major problem with that is an embarassment to Gopher fans"

Full disclosure, I fell for little Artie yesterday so, just saying...:eek::banghead:

Joel is obviously preparing us for the Texas game replacement news. Let's hope we've at least heard of the school he is able to schedule.

Under the new U of M president a new AD is probably going to have less power and influence than Maturi currently has with Bruininks who is a strong supporter of intercollegiate athletics. Why do you believe that the new president is going to care much about sports? The history of the Board of Regents has usually been to appoint liberal pinheads who think that sports are beneath them.

Why do you think the new president will not be supportive of sports? These "liberal pinheads" appointed the current president, after all. So your point that the Regents wouldn't appoint a president who cared about intercollegiate athletics just went up in flames like the Hindenburg.

Yikes...

Somebody diagram that sentence for me, please. As for the thought fragment, all I can say is, "Move over Wisconsin, here come the Coyotes!"

Wow. It must be nice to live with the comfort of knowing that your life will never be significant enough that your every action and word is scrutinized to this level. Really? We're talking about diagramming sentences that were verbalized in an impromptu interview?

If some of you really think Maturi is implying that the U should aspire to have USD as a big-time annual rival, you're probably beyond help. It was one blurb, an afterthought, in a lengthy response to an interview question. Get over it...

Honest to God. I read Sid and thought Maturi is merely selling tickets by talking about how attractive the home schedule is. Maturi, being who he is, tries to especially pump up the two lesser schools, Northern Illinois and South Dakota, with his stream of consciousness technique. Some people, being who they are, take it as proof that our sports programs are doomed because Maturi is in charge and nobody else (other than Bruininks who is leaving) cares about sports. You think his quote might simply be about the two game ticket packages they're offering?

Why do you think the new president will not be supportive of sports? These "liberal pinheads" appointed the current president, after all. So your point that the Regents wouldn't appoint a president who cared about intercollegiate athletics just went up in flames like the Hindenburg.

Maybe Donna Shalala will be available.

It would fit...

Maybe Donna Shalala will be available.

With all these ex-Cheesedicks we have been hiring. We could see the end of Gopher sports in about 3 years with her in charge.

Honest to God. I read Sid and thought Maturi is merely selling tickets by talking about how attractive the home schedule is. Maturi, being who he is, tries to especially pump up the two lesser schools, Northern Illinois and South Dakota, with his stream of consciousness technique. You think his quote might simply be about the two game ticket packages they're offering?

That is exactly how I read it. No more, no less.

Well, if Clinton appointed her to a cabinet level position, whatever college she's in charge of must truly have no emphasis on athletics at all.

Yeah, ol' Donna really ran the Wisconsin program into the ground.

She is actually a decent, not great, not bad, supporter of athletics, or was while at wisconsin.

It's no accident that Wisconsin had their comeback while Shalala was president at Wisconsin. She realizes that sports, particularly football, is the symbolic front door of a college.

Well, if Clinton appointed her to a cabinet level position, whatever college she's in charge of must truly have no emphasis on athletics at all.

She's currently in charge of Miami. Donna is credited with turning around the Wisconsin program by firing Ade Sponberg and Don Morton, both from North Dakota. She hired Pat Richter who hired Barry Alvarez, both of whom have statues outside Camp Randall. Many people, including me, think Donna should be with them. (Of course, the statue would only be 4 feet high. Donna's a munchkin.)

She's currently in charge of Miami. Donna is credited with turning around the Wisconsin program by firing Ade Sponberg and Don Morton, both from North Dakota. She hired Pat Richter who hired Barry Alvarez, both of whom have statues outside Camp Randall. Many people, including me, think Donna should be with them. (Of course, the statue would only be 4 feet high. Donna's a munchkin.)

I agree with your assessment. Her hiring of Pat Richter, and support of the Alvarez program, turned Badger football around. She is a hero to Badger Football faithful...

The negative: 5 sports were cut during her regime (Men's baseball, fencing and gymnastics / Women's fencing and gymnastics) Wisconsin is the only Big Ten university without a men's baseball team. This remains a very sore subject in Madison.

I believe Joel Maturi was at Wisconsin as an assistant AD to Richter during these years. Joel's mantra has always been to keep all intercollegiate sports viable at the U. One could point to the hard and regrettable decisions to cut sports at Wisconsin as a catalyst for his stance.

I agree with your assessment. Her hiring of Pat Richter, and support of the Alvarez program, turned Badger football around. She is a hero to Badger Football faithful...

The negative: 5 sports were cut during her regime (Men's baseball, fencing and gymnastics / Women's fencing and gymnastics) Wisconsin is the only Big Ten university without a men's baseball team. This remains a very sore subject in Madison.

I believe Joel Maturi was at Wisconsin as an assistant AD to Richter during these years. Joel's mantra has always been to keep all intercollegiate sports viable at the U. One could point to the hard and regrettable decisions to cut sports at Wisconsin as a catalyst for his stance.

I'd trade our men's & women's fencing teams for a couple of Rose Bowls any day.;)

Our total income each year now that we have TCF will be equal to about X million dollars per year. Under this income and running as many non revenue sports as we do, the football program will get a fixed % or X each year. This will be the lower one or two budgets for football in the Big Ten. Is that OK with me, with us? Nope. I do not believe we can win many games with such a low budget every year.

So let us cut a non revenue female team. Nope, can't. Title IX forbids that. Thus, we either cut a male non revenue team first or we learn to live with one of the lowest football budgets in the Big Ten every year. Therefore, as a football fan, I favor cutting at least one male, non revenue sport so we can also cut a female sport. It will not be popular, but frankly, I am sick of paying big bucks so we can have more non revenue sports. I want more of my money staying with the football program. When Maturi is fired the new person will have a chance to make some much needed changes. Will she do it? No. Once again, football loses.

This may not be a bad idea that Maturi has come up with in fostering a rivalry with football teams from the Dakotas. Those are rivalry games where we might actually win!

Wisconsin is the only Big Ten university without a men's baseball team. This remains a very sore subject in Madison..

News to me...?

Pretty sure most of us immediately realized that trading in a no-interest sport for a sold-out football stadium and a team that averages a Rose Bowl every 5 years with other New Years Day bowl games in between was worth the "sacrifice."

Now the boxing team being elminated... THAT's a sore subject

News to me...?

Pretty sure most of us immediately realized that trading in a no-interest sport for a sold-out football stadium and a team that averages a Rose Bowl every 5 years with other New Years Day bowl games in between was worth the "sacrifice."

Now the boxing team being elminated... THAT's a sore subject

Regdab = obsessive compulsive. You have your own boards, I suggest you stick to them.

With TCF Bank Stadium, the football program will be bringing in a lot more money, so the idea of cutting sports is pointless. The Dome was terrible for football revenue, but we don't play there anymore.

The income stream from TCF has already been factored into the long term AD budget. It still leaves us with one of the very lowest football budgets in the Big Ten. Remember that TCF does not give a penny to the football program, only to the AD.

Top Bottom