Will Gopher Recruit Rachel Banham Keep Pam Borton Off the Hot Seat?

ive seen her play 2-3 times and she's very good. a great pick up, but I still think Borton will be let go before Banham finishes her career.

Why is Pam Borton on the hot seat in the first place? Yes, I understand that the program has lost some players, and that last year the Gophers were 13-17. But that is also Coach Borton's first losing season in eight years at Minnesota, and her record with the Gophers is 165-90 (.647). She needs just eight wins this season to become Minnesota's all-time winningest women's basketball coach, and she works very hard at what she does. Coach Borton deserves better than to be thrown on the hot seat after one down season. Go Gophers!

Why is Pam Borton on the hot seat in the first place? Yes, I understand that the program has lost some players, and that last year the Gophers were 13-17. But that is also Coach Borton's first losing season in eight years at Minnesota, and her record with the Gophers is 165-90 (.647). She needs just eight wins this season to become Minnesota's all-time winningest women's basketball coach, and she works very hard at what she does. Coach Borton deserves better than to be thrown on the hot seat after one down season. Go Gophers!

One down season in a string of seasons in steady decline. The standard is not the Final Four, but the recruiting has not been particularly good and there clearly was at least a stretch of not being able to manage players. There is every reason to believe she could get on the hot seat and rightly so.

I agree with Holy Man, but I definitely think Borton got the correct Lakeville North player. Banham will be a much, much better college player than the one that's headed to Wisconsin this season. Banham's the real deal. Hopefully Borton can keep her in the program.

Banham

The only problems I see with Banham are that there's only one of her and she's not here NOW. The team has incredibly thin in terms of ball handlers this year.

What was the reason for one of the incoming freshman to leave before school started? Does anyone know? Maybe the reason was posted and I missed it.

CDH,

"Personal reasons" was the only reason given. Could be anything.

CDH,

"Personal reasons" was the only reason given. Could be anything.

That happens alot, especially for teams who have summer conditioning or where the players arrive on campus before the rest of the student body. It's easy to get homesick, and lots of players just have a hard time dealing with being so far away from their family and friends at home that they decide to find someplace to attend closer to home. That'd be my guess.

1. Borton's not on the hot seat. After football comes men's hockey. Then maybe.

2. But should she be? Sure, not so much for the Ws and Ls, but for attendance of 2,700 per game versys the 10,000 that she inherited.

3. And so, will Banham save her? Not by herself, even she will need help, thuogh I agree sghe's the real deal. She will be the best Gopher guard since you know who. But who can keep up with her? Buford, yes, but for only one year. Loberg, I think yes. Hirt, I think yes. I sure hope Mikayla Bailey if she's really the only 2012 they're going after. What, no Jackie Johnson? Ouch. No Tessa Cichy, no Marissa Janning, no Whitney Tinjum. Ouch again. This goes to Pam's greatest failing, along with the attendance. She seems so reluctant to recruit guards, especially Minnesota guards. And so after waving off Kamille Wahlin and Alyssa Karel and Brittaney Chambers, she's been short of depth at guard the past 3 years. Ouch again.

Speculation is, however, relative to the 2012s that Pam is saving her chits for the 2013s whom everyone sees as a better class than 2012s. Not as good as the 2014 boys. Rebekah Dahlman and who? Jade Martin? Nia Coffey? Savanna Trapp?

4. On balance, however, I think Borton suyrvives 4 years with Rachel Banham.

I'm not sure if Borton is on the hot seat, but it is evident that this program has gone the wrong direction in the past few years.. There used to be a lot of excitement around Gopher women's basketball and I don't see that at all now. As stated above, the recruiting has not been stellar for several years. I do agree that Banham is a talented young player and has a chance to be a difference maker at the U.

Has anyone had a chance to watch the team. Any word on Sari Noga, is she going to be Big 10 good.

Has anyone had a chance to watch the team. Any word on Sari Noga, is she going to be Big 10 good.

The team definitely has more passion and motivation than last year. They are getting behind in games but they have rallied back against to UWGB and San Diego State to have chances to win. Dayton overwhelmed them offensively in a 97-81 loss last weekend. They came from behind against Pittsburgh to pull out a 73-63 win a couple weeks ago.

They lost 4 seniors I think and are playing a tougher non-conference schedule and are 3-3 going into a game against NC State this afternoon.

Brianna Mastey, Kristen Dockery, and Leah Cotton have all shown vast improvement from last year. They have the drive to win, but the defense has been pretty shaky and the rebounding must improve to survive in the Big Ten. Katie Loberg came back from injury last night so she should help out with rebounding and be an inside scoring threat. She definitely has mobility for a post.

Noga is pretty slow in my opinion. She is good for spot up three point shots. She is probably the Katie Ohm of the team's past.

I agree with most of what has just been said. They're showing more enthusiasm than in the recent past. Last year's senior class really was a downer, no offense to anybody, but the lack of apparent enjoyment of what they were doing surely reflected in the results.

And absolutely, Cotton, Mastey and Dockery represent big big improvements not only over their former selves but over AEM, Ohm and McCoy.

And yet they're obviously not a very good team with 3 losses now to non-BCS teams, only one of whom (W-GB) has a winning record. They have had the same terrible spells on offense that they had last year, 10-15 possessions, 5-10 minutes without a score. Last night they turned the ball over on 5 of 7 possessions from 8:00 to 4:00. Extending it a couple more minutes, they got out-scored 16-2 and went from ahead 23-22 to behind 39-25. They were the better team for 35 minutes, but they were so horrid for 5 that they couldn't overcome it. What's with that?

As for Noga, I like her but, yeah, you're never gonna hear me say, Wow, she's quick! I think she has a better nose for the game than Ohm had but, yeah, the comparison is apt enough. I see her as a back-up who is smart enough to stay in position and not hurt you too bad with her lack of quickness, and then she can hit the 3. All of which sounds like Ohm, but Noga is a better rebounder (again, it's that nose) and a better passer. She will score like Ohm but much out-rebound and out-assist her. Just so she doesn't get burned on defense too often.

Still I am deathly afraid that 3 years from now we're going to find 3 or 4 guards from the class of 2012 playing D1 ball someplace, reminding us of Wahlin and Alyssa Karel, and the Gophers, regardless of how good Banham is, will still be short of depth in the back court and of ball handlers. The inability to keep the ball moving is perhaps the #1 problem with Borton's style year after year after year.

Whalen, McCarville and Bolden....

Mya Moore and Agustus couldnt save Borton. She is a terrible coach and recruits terribly within the state. The one Mastey doesnt even play.. Voigt is average... People leave and have been leaving for years...

Mya Moore and Agustus couldnt save Borton. She is a terrible coach and recruits terribly within the state. The one Mastey doesnt even play.. Voigt is average... People leave and have been leaving for years...

You know there is thoughtful analysis like sunnyday2 and overpass who obviously follow the team, and then there is a dumbass post from someone like you who just as obviously doesn't know much about them. Voight is a steady hardworking player who does little things like get rebounds, set picks, take charges, etc.

People leaving? Since the mass exodus, what, five years ago? Korrine Campbell who most people felt wasn't a good fit even though she has played well at West Virginia left. Brianna Salley, which was a strange deal tinged with religious reasons, and who ended up ineligible at Seattle left. They have been the only two actual players. The girl that left this year ended up quitting at her second school also. Look at transfers in women's basketball. Borton can be criticized for some things, but, "People leave and have been leaving for years...," sort of reveals your ignorance.

Mully- Really?

Looks like you answered your own question. People have left thanks for confirming that with your own facts.. Players have left the team regardless of the speculative reasons why. Thank you.

I said Voigt was average and you comeback with.. she's a hardworker, sets picks and takes charges.. She is an average player on a below average team.

First off thanks for jumping all over me for giving my opinion. Second thanks for reaffirming my opinion with the facts from your post.

All the players on the team work hard but sad to say not all are skilled or should be playing D-1 hoops.

I am ingnorant? 3 people have left in two years one who is playing well at another school and one if I remember was suppose to be in the rotation.

And you have no comeback for how bad she has recruited this state...

I am ignorant and a dubmass? Really? Sorry Mr. Borton if I hurt your feelings with my opinion which your facts seem to support.. Peace and may you have a blessed holiday..

I don't mind Korinne Campbell and Breanna Salley and Janelle Cannon leaving. Some of that is inevitable.

What I mind is Kamille Wahlin and Cassie Rochel and Brittany Chambers and and Jenna Smith and Tayler Hill leaving. Some of that, of course, is also inevitable. Still.

But let it be said that Rachel Banham is a hell of a get. But then on the other hand Jackie Johnson is the next one that is gonna give me tremendous heartburn if she ends up anywhere in the Big Ten, much less at St. Thomas.

If it was a revenue sport, she would be gone, but we need to get the revenue sports straightened out first.
Hockey is next. I don't have any idea what happened to Luccia's team other than when he got here I thought they were pretty physical, but lately they look like Woog's teams without the skating.

Borton

They can't win their own lower level tourney at home enough said. This program is terrible if the men's program can take the heat so can the women's..

Take the maroon and gold horse blinders off and deal with reality. The program is struggling. Great they finished 3rd in a tourney with 4 teams in Las Vegas.. Good stuff

In 2007 Pam Borton was making a base salary of $216,825.00 and a total of $389,215.00.
For that we got a team that finished 11th in the Big 10. Very very very few quality coaches ever finish last in their conference in their 6th year.

She inherited the Final Four team of Whalen, McCarville, Bolden, Schonerock, Andsersson et al from Friese with an average attendance of 10,000 fans and has driven it steadily downward from that point to last place in the Big Ten and about 3000 people in the seats. She completely wasted the recruiting bump the Final Four appearance should have given her.

The salary above was for 2007 so I know she is making even more now. I really believe even Mulligan could have done as well for a heck of a lot less money.

http://ww3.startribune.com/dynamic/salaries/employees.php?dpt_code=Athl&ent_code=UMTC

Borton

Pam, unfortunately, is her own worst enemy. She doesn't recruit the top talented players, she instead recruits those players that she is most comfortable with. That is her undoing. For those of us that followed the summer AAU circuit most notably North Tartan, we were stunned, to say the least, that she offered Mikala Bailey. Marissa Janning is far and away the most talented junior in this state with jackie Johnson a close second and perhaps Tessa Cichy a distant third, although I don't like her game. She just doesn;t play hard enough. Where Bailey fits into the mix I just don't know because she was invisible for most of the spring and summer. Borton lucked out with the recruitment of Banham and Hirt, but for the most part has been a horrible judge of talent. If she plans on keeping her job she had better alter her recruiting policy otherwise I just don't see her staying here.

I don't have any idea what happened to Luccia's team

He appeared at a rally for Sarah Palin and it has been nothing but downhill ever since. She did for Luccia what she did for McCain.

Top Bottom